Best Knife sharpener

Gaswamp

I have a set of ceramic stick sharpeners made by Steamboat Sharpeners in Florida. Best set I have ever owned. Actually has two sets on one base, one course and one fine. Called them up to try and buy another set for a Christmas present several years back and a older lady answered the phone and said the company was her late husbands and closed up when he died. Sure wish someone had picked it up when he passed.
I know this doesn't help but still the best sharpener I own.

I wouldn't say its the best sharpener, but it is a lovely tool to maintain an edge.

ok folks I can't sharpen a knife to save my life. What model would you suggest for my unfortunate lack of skills? I have been looking at the electric versions, but would also like to use them for shears best Japanese whetstone, pruners, etc. if at all possible. Any suggestions?
I know a stone works best. I have a stone but sharpening knives on it feels like a chore, especially when I'm in the middle of a project like cutting up a deer. I just want to put an edge on quickly and get on with my task. Any recommendations on a simple pull-through sharpener?

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

IMO, the Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker is the best manual knife sharpener.

The Blademedic is the best to carry with you in the field.

A set of crock sticks at home works for me very well, so long as I never let the edges get really dull or gouged, then you have to use something that removes steel.

earlthegoat2

If you have a Sharpmaker, a Work Sharp Knife and tool sharpener, kitchen steel, AND a Tormek like me you will find your self using all of them….at least I do.

Tormek to reshape the grind.
Worksharp to take a very dull and out of shape blade to razor sharp
Sharpmaker to touch up and do light reconditioning on blades that are still in good shape.
The steel or ceramic rod to freshen up an otherwise decently sharp blade.

You can probably guess what proportion these sharpeners are used in.
Tormek-2%
Worksharp- 10%
Sharpmaker-30%
Steel or rod - 58%

You must also understand I only have the Tormek because I use it quite often for my woodworking tools. They are the reason I have it. I also have a Worksharp wheel sharpener for the woodworking tools that I don’t use for knives at all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I use a stone or diamond stone or ceramic rods most of the time, along with a strop. I do have a Worksharp belt rig that works great on really dull or really hard steel knives, or when you're sharpening a bunch at a time. That thing is great when you drag out all the kitchen knives at once. As Nic said, no matter what you use, the main thing is to never let them get really dull to begin with.

B. White

Cheap, simple and easy to give a knife a few licks as needed.

711uTjWz5lL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Bobby Bigtime

The biggest problem with the quick sharpeners is that they produce a very thin false edge that tends to dull rather quickly. Then the knife gets blamed for not holding an edge. I have found that carrying the edge the entire length of the bevel will give the best results whether it is a scandi, Sabre or flat grind. Then they will get you through dressing an elk, moose or whatever without having to touch up your edge with dark approaching. Nic and hillbilly are right don't let the edge get too far gone in the first place.

bullgator

Wicked Edge. $$$

Gaswamp

I have a set of ceramic stick sharpeners made by Steamboat Sharpeners in Florida. Best set I have ever owned. Actually has two sets on one base, one course and one fine. Called them up to try and buy another set for a Christmas present several years back and a older lady answered the phone and said the company was her late husbands and closed up when he died. Sure wish someone had picked it up when he passed.
I know this doesn't help but still the best sharpener I own.
they wrok great but thery aren't designed to sharpen but rather hone and maintain an edge