BF Grant GPS Research

Whit90

I was down in the area this past weekend, and stopped by the check in station to see if any of the quota hunter had killed any turkeys. I saw there was a box on the porch labeled "GPS Drop off". I assume they are handing out GPS units to the hunters and having them return them when they are done hunting. Does anyone know what kind data they are trying to gain?

Thanks!

BBond

UGA is doing this on both BFG and Cedar Creek.

Between the 2 areas they have 59 turkeys with GPS transmitters so they can see movement patterns, survival, nesting etc.

The GPS for hunters is so UGA can observe the potential movement changes in turkeys based on hunter movements.

Also, they have 22 coyotes with GPS transmitters too.

BBond

Actually, if any turkey hunter would like to assist UGA with this research by carrying a GPS unit provided by UGA please message me (or call 478/825-6354 and ask for Bobby) and I will get you in contact with UGA.

Whit90

Just curious, how do they catch the turkeys? I wouldn't mind carrying a GPS, but I only get out on the weekends.

BBond

Just curious, how do they catch the turkeys? I wouldn't mind carrying a GPS, but I only get out on the weekends.

They are baited into an area and rocket netted.

Weekend help would still be great!

UGA is really worried about getting hunters to assist with this and need help.

Please PM me your contact info and I'll get it to UGA.

Thanks!

Whit90

@BBond , has there been any publication of this research that you know of? I cannot seem to find anything online.

Thanks!

BBond

So far these are the first 2 publications from the BF Grant/Cedar Creek turkey research. More will be published in the future.

Attachments

• Wakefield_et_al-2019-The_Journal_of_Wildlife_Management_hunting_gobbling.pdf
    517.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Wakefield_et_al-2020-The_Journal_of_Wildlife_Management_hunting_roostselection.pdf
    616.1 KB · Views: 33

naaron

Interesting, I like it. I was struck by their estimate that to maintain peak gobbling behaviors we would need to cap hunting pressure/harvest to 4 gobblers per 10 square kilometers (about 2500 acres). We definitely have a lot of areas in this state getting quite a bit more pressure than that

huckhgh

I can't seem to open the attachments.

Are they still conducting the research or is it finished?

Thanks,

Huck

huckhgh

Cool, thanks guys. If they still need more hunters to carry the GPS, let me know.

Thanks,

Huck