Blatant Shop Lifting Now in South Ga?

Oldstick

I don't know for sure but I frequent the Dollar General stores in Perry, GA at least once a week for certain supplies.

I always wonder what is stopping anyone from walking in and walking out with anything because often the 1 or 2 employees are in back stocking and you have to squeeze a noise maker to summon them up front if you need help.

The other day, I was in one of the busier stores that usually has a clerk full time at the front register. But this time there were multiple vendors also bringing stuff inside at the time. Numerous customer cars in the lot so it was obvious they very were busy.

I was standing in the checkout line waiting behind 5 other customers and the clerk was obviously focused only on the line. Then I noticed one guy walk in and proceed to a certain aisle. Thought he might be one of the vendors, but 30 seconds later I saw him carefully surveying the checkout line and the clerk's awareness, then walk out quickly with a single bundle under his arm.

I didn't say anything being so far back in line and didn't directly witness what exactly happened, but it makes me wonder if the all the big city bull is slowly creaping down to where us town and country folk live.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Yeah, they can't even call the cops in most instances now. Wife was at one recently, and there was a couple arguing and the fella was outta control. One of the clerks was a female, former student of my wife's and looked pleadingly at her, so SHE called em.

After the fact the gal told her that they were not to call the cops for squat for fear of retaliation against them OR the company.

• Wow
Reactions: Dub

Toliver

i could not work for a company with that type policy, sorry, id go on welfare first.....
Lowe's is like that. Only their Loss Prevention person is allowed to call 911 when a theft is occurring. At least that's how it was at the one in Austell. They told me all kinds of stories of people just walking in and taking stuff like chainsaws and hand tools. The Old Navy in the same shopping center before they closed it down also had a no prosecution policy. And people knew it. They would drive there from many miles away and just walk out with entire shopping carts full of clothes.

Lilly001

In todays sue everyone society I can see their temptation to not confront.
To confront exposes your employee to harm (they may sue you for that not to mention workman’s comp claims) and the perp may well sue you for any injuries they sustain.
But the other side is that many of these businesses operate on a very thin profit margin and just a small increase in theft losses can doom them.
But I don’t see many politicians stepping up with solutions.
In fact they tend to worsen the problem by making the perps victims over the store.
There was a time that I would step up and take action, but now I only alert store personnel and watch. Unless a person’s safety is threatened.

Toliver

I would say it all depends on if the DA's are willing to aggressively prosecute the shoplifters.
The victim store has to want to prosecute before they are even charged otherwise the Solicitor (misdemeanor case) or the DA (felony case) never even have a dog in the fight. And so many are not prosecuting due to fear of lawsuit like Lilly said.

Dub

Behaving like rabid pack animals.

Absolutely disgusting.

These scum are afforded more second chances and slaps on the wrist.

Clearly never parented or coached.

Undisciplined Neanderthals.

It will never stop until they learn to take personal accountability .

They will never develop that personal accountability unless they come to understand that not doing so comes with a painful penalty.

Severe punishment would provide that stimulus to acquire self discipline.

Big7

The Oracle
I don't know for sure but I frequent the Dollar General stores in Perry, GA at least once a week for certain supplies.

I always wonder what is stopping anyone from walking in and walking out with anything because often the 1 or 2 employees are in back stocking and you have to squeeze a noise maker to summon them up front if you need help.

The other day, I was in one of the busier stores that usually has a clerk full time at the front register. But this time there were multiple vendors also bringing stuff inside at the time. Numerous customer cars in the lot so it was obvious they very were busy.

I was standing in the checkout line waiting behind 5 other customers and the clerk was obviously focused only on the line. Then I noticed one guy walk in and proceed to a certain aisle. Thought he might be one of the vendors, but 30 seconds later I saw him carefully surveying the checkout line and the clerk's awareness, then walk out quickly with a single bundle under his arm.

I didn't say anything being so far back in line and didn't directly witness what exactly happened, but it makes me wonder if the all the big city bull is slowly creaping down to where us town and country folk live.
It ain't the big city.

It's the demographic, I know that and I didn't even see what you saw.

Tell me I'm wrong. :LOL:

Dub

It ain't the big city.

It's the demographic, I know that and I didn't even see what you saw.

Tell me I'm wrong. :LOL:

We will get what we raise.

If we don’t instill values and discipline….and model that ourselves….our kids will become what we see on these crime reports.

Big7

The Oracle
We will get what we raise.

If we don’t instill values and discipline….and model that ourselves….our kids will become what we see on these crime reports.
In fairness to that demographic, the US Government CAUSED it. :wink:

Dub

In fairness to that demographic, the US Government CAUSED it. :wink:

Widespread lack of parental responsibility, male role models who are active in their rearing, values instilled, discipline developed and strong work ethic to achieve is what causes it.

Applies to any race and ethnic origin.

The government simply rewards it through encouragement and enablement of our lowest common denominators in society.

It seems to be more prevalent in some groups, however, it exists in all.

Greatest country in the world at one time…..a place where hard work could be rewarded by market needs for applied skill sets.

Now we seem to reward mediocrity….the “everyone gets a trophy“ approach.

Criminals are coddled instead of instantly dealt with.

Big7

The Oracle
Widespread lack of parental responsibility, male role models who are active in their rearing, values instilled, discipline developed and strong work ethic to achieve is what causes it.

Applies to any race and ethnic origin.

The government simply rewards it through encouragement and enablement of our lowest common denominators in society.

It seems to be more prevalent in some groups, however, it exists in all.

Greatest country in the world at one time…..a place where hard work could be rewarded by market needs for applied skill sets.

Now we seem to reward mediocrity….the “everyone gets a trophy“ approach.

Criminals are coddled instead of instantly dealt with.
Yes.. And....

The US Government CAUSED it. :wink: