Cades Cove and Tuckaleechee Caverns?

TimBray

Wife and I are thinking of driving up towards the Townsend area for a long weekend. Never been to Tuckaleechee Caverns and wife loves to go to Cades Cove. I have always wanted to drive in the back way to Cades Cove via Parson Branch/Forge Creek Road. Anyone been this way? How rough is it? Doable in 2wd pickup?

T-N-T

I had a guy tell me 1.5 years ago that the road is very passable in most anything that is not a sports car.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's not a bad road, at least the last time I was through there. The catch is, it's one way. You can't go in that way, only out from Cade's Cove. Again, you cannot go in on that road, it's exit only. And the caverns are well worth a visit, for sure.

Red dirt clod

A guy that was camping next to us a few years ago did it in a Subaru and said no problem, but like hillbilly said out only.

Twitcher

Parsons Branch Road is closed.

ROADS 2020 Season
Balsam Mtn Heintooga Rd 5/15 – 11/01
Clingmans Dome 3/30 – 11/30
Forge Creek Rd 3/13 – 10/31
Little Greenbrier Access Road 4/10– 11/30
Parsons Branch Road CLOSED – hazard trees
Rich Mtn Road 4/10 – 11/09
Roaring Fork Mtn 4/10 – 11/30
Round Bottom/Straight Fork Road 4/03 – 11/01
(Round Bottom HC closes 10/29 at noon)

TimBray

Well, dangnabit. ;) The one-way part isn't a problem but being completely closed is. :oops:

Thanks.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
We left Cades Cove that way one time. Mercy!
2 roads my MIL is quiet on - I-75 & Parsons Branch. ?

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
Well, dangnabit. ;) The one-way part isn't a problem but being completely closed is. :oops:

Thanks.
Is Cades Cove closed?

I’m not sure what road it’s on??

We are going white water rafting on the Nantahala in the fall and was gonna ride up there.

TimBray

Cades Cove doesn't appear to be closed, at least right now. The road taking you out the back way is closed. Been going up there for many years and have always wanted to go out the back way (or in the back way until I found out here that it was one-way out).

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/cadescove.htm

Huntinfool

No, it's not closed. Was just there a couple of weeks ago. They did change the "bike/walk only" times. Used to be Wed and Sat till 10am the loop was closed to cars. Now it's all day Wed and not at all on Sat.

Twiggbuster

I went to Tuckaleechee many many years ago as a child. Have never forgotten it. Sure it’s changed some but it was in the middle of nowhere out in some rocky field with hills around. You dropped down in a tree covered low spot and the little visitors center was hidden in there. Small little entrance was beyond that. But it was large and open in places inside. Lots of stalactites and stalagmites and other features. I googled it recently and would like to go back. Didn’t seem like a overdone tourist trap. Hope it hadn’t gotten that way.

Jethro Bodean

No, it's not closed. Was just there a couple of weeks ago. They did change the "bike/walk only" times. Used to be Wed and Sat till 10am the loop was closed to cars. Now it's all day Wed and not at all on Sat.

Sorry for reviving an older thread, but I was doing a search here for Cades Cove, after finding conflicting information elsewhere on the web regarding the "bike/walk only" times, and found this thread. Some sites still mention that it is closed to motorized vehicles before 10:00 on Wed & Sat, and some say all day.

However, this site (Big Brother) seems to be the most official one I found, so I take it to be more reliable that most others, and it seems to read that Cades is closed entirely to engines on Wednesdays.

Can anyone that definitely knows the status confirm this? I am planning a trip this coming Mon-Wed up to that area. I plan to see Cades Cove, the caverns, and hopefully some things that are not quite as touristy. Just wondering if I need to avoid Cades Cove entirely on Wednesday, as I can't talk my ol' lady into biking it.

Last edited:

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Parsons Branch Road is closed.

ROADS 2020 Season
Balsam Mtn Heintooga Rd 5/15 – 11/01
Clingmans Dome 3/30 – 11/30
Forge Creek Rd 3/13 – 10/31
Little Greenbrier Access Road 4/10– 11/30
Parsons Branch Road CLOSED – hazard trees
Rich Mtn Road 4/10 – 11/09
Roaring Fork Mtn 4/10 – 11/30
Round Bottom/Straight Fork Road 4/03 – 11/01
(Round Bottom HC closes 10/29 at noon)
Why are all those roads closed, Rona??

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for reviving an older thread, but I was doing a search here for Cades Cove, after finding conflicting information elsewhere on the web regarding the "bike/walk only" times, and found this thread. Some sites still mention that it is closed to motorized vehicles before 10:00 on Wed & Sat, and some say all day.

However, this site (Big Brother) seems to be the most official one I found, so I take it to be more reliable that most others, and it seems to read that Cades is closed entirely to engines on Wednesdays.

Can anyone that definitely knows the status confirm this? I am planning a trip this coming Mon-Wed up to that area. I plan to see Cades Cove, the caverns, and hopefully some things that are not quite as touristy. Just wondering if I need to avoid Cades Cove entirely on Wednesday, as I can't talk my ol' lady into biking it.
The GSMNP website is where to go for accurate information. According to them, The Cades Cove Loop Road is closed to cars all day every Wednesday until Sep. 30.

Jethro Bodean

This is from the GSM website
  • Cades Cove Loop Road: Vehicle-free access along the Cades Cove Loop Road each Wednesday, from June 17th through September 30th. Otherwise the road is open daily from 8am until sunset, weather permitting.

This is the link to the site

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/seasonalroads.htm

Yep - that was the same link I posted. I guess that is the most official link. Most everything else still says after 10 on Wednesdays.

edit: ^^ simultaneous postings.

Jeepnfish

This post brings back memories. 2000 we got married in the Primitive Baptist Church. (rented from the park service). Rented a cabin in Townsend, visited the caves and Cades Cove.
Our after wedding dinner was at the Dixie Stampede. Back when they had our brave Blue and Gray and Native Americans put on a show.