Championship game tonight! Let's go Atlanta United!

Matt.M

Game is at 8 tonight. Hope everyone is cheering them on. It's going to be an insane time.

They have a great chance of winning this championship. Georgia\Atlanta haven't won a Championship since the Braves in 1995.

And the haters, there's room on this bus. Come on.

DannyW

Not a soccer fan, at all, but hope they bring it home.,,won't go into the reasons why I don't care for soccer because that's not what this thread is about. But if they win won't it be ironic that Atlanta professional soccer will have twice the number of national titles as our football, baseball and basketball teams have COMBINED????

Enjoy the game Matt...I am sure my son will be right there with you in front of the TV.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Vamos! Bring the hate :bounce:

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Got a family thing in S Fulton but will be heading to the Benz around 5!

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I have tried to make myself like soccer because I "get it" but I just can't get into it. That being said I hope they win tonight and continue to win in the future. It has been great for the city of Atlanta.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I remember when I was 7 years old in 1970 they had us play soccer in school(recess) and said it "was the next big thing". 48 years later and I didn't even know it was soccer season in Atlanta.

Good luck to the Atlanta team and their fans.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Should be a good one. Hoping for a good ending tonight but no matter what I know we are goin to be loud with home fan support that only a very few teams of any sport in the world can match.

Coenen

Headed to my local United Supporters' Bar to watch the proceedings. Should be a great match, and hopefully an even better outcome!

MLS has never seen a franchise like AUFC. Right now, they are th standard for what success can be in American soccer. Long may that continue.

Anyone else curious to see if Uncle Arthur found enough space in his building to break the MLS Cup attendance record? They've broken every other mark in league history. I've got to believe he found a way.

I have tried to make myself like soccer because I "get it" but I just can't get into it.
Try going to a match some time, it's a completely different animal to see in person. Match day at the Benz is a really fun experience!

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Good luck to them and I hope they win. I have nothing against soccer, I just dont understand the rules.

mark-7mag

Good luck to them and I hope they win. I have nothing against soccer, I just dont understand the rules.
I think you're supposed to kick the ball in the net and you cant touch the ball with your hands. Hope this helps bo$$

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think you're supposed to kick the ball in the net and you cant touch the ball with your hands. Hope this helps bo$$

Yeah, but aint there zones and such on the field. And why to do they get a free kick sometimes, where it is just the goalie, and at other times when the whole team is out there trying to stop it. And why is the game not over when the clock reaches zero, instead of extended play.

mark-7mag

Yeah, but aint there zones and such on the field. And why to do they get a free kick sometimes, where it is just the goalie, and at other times when the whole team is out there trying to stop it. And why is the game not over when the clock reaches zero, instead of extended play.
Good questions. Best thing to do is just cheer when everyone else does so you look like you've been there before.

Coenen

Good questions. Best thing to do is just cheer when everyone else does so you look like you've been there before.
Nailed it.
The field is typically thought of in thirds. The defensive third in front of your team's net, the middle third, and the attacking(final) third in front of the opponent's net. Think of the attack a bit like basketball on a larger scale. The team goes forward with the initial goal of collapsing the defense, drawing them into bad matchups or otherwise out of position. If the attack stalls without a change of possession, the ball will be recirculated back into the middle of the field and the attacking team will reset and go again.

There is an 18 yard box marked out in front of both goals, a foul against an attacking player inside "The Box" results in a penalty kick(player against keeper only). A foul outside the box will result in a free kick for the team that was fouled. A free kick that has a reasonable chance at threatening the goal results in the players forming a wall in an attempt to either block the kick outright, or force the attacking team to direct the kick to a less dangerours area.

The referee adds stoppage time at the end of each half roughly commensurate to the amount of time built up during the various stoppages of play, injured players, instant replays(VAR), substitutions, cards being issued, etc.

Hope that helps! Ask away man. Once the game "clicked" for me I really started to enjoy watching it.

Coenen

A! ?
T!!?
L!!!?

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nailed it.
The field is typically thought of in thirds. The defensive third in front of your team's net, the middle third, and the attacking(final) third in front of the opponent's net. Think of the attack a bit like basketball on a larger scale. The team goes forward with the initial goal of collapsing the defense, drawing them into bad matchups or otherwise out of position. If the attack stalls without a change of possession, the ball will be recirculated back into the middle of the field and the attacking team will reset and go again.

There is an 18 yard box marked out in front of both goals, a foul against an attacking player inside "The Box" results in a penalty kick(player against keeper only). A foul outside the box will result in a free kick for the team that was fouled. A free kick that has a reasonable chance at threatening the goal results in the players forming a wall in an attempt to either block the kick outright, or force the attacking team to direct the kick to a less dangerours area.

The referee adds stoppage time at the end of each half roughly commensurate to the amount of time built up during the various stoppages of play, injured players, instant replays(VAR), substitutions, cards being issued, etc.

Hope that helps! Ask away man. Once the game "clicked" for me I really started to enjoy watching it.

Thanks Coenen, that helps, now tell me who will be televising it.

Coenen

Thanks Coenen, that helps, now tell me who will be televising it.
No problem, man. It'll be on big Fox. That's channel 5 for most of us suburbanites. ?

Hope you get a chance to watch and find yourself enjoying it. They are usually a really fun team to watch.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks again. I plan on watching it. I will also enjoy the State HS football championship Wednesday night in the stadium.