Charles Daly 101 Shotguns

Long Cut

I’m looking at buying a Charles Daly 101 in 410 for run & gun turkey hunting. Showing a weight of 4.5-5# and length of 37” at a great price point.

I’m curious the quality of Charles Daly shotguns overall?
Has anyone owned or tried the 101 single shot?

Gator89

Only what I read on the intertubez.

But the consensus is buy 2, one is for spare parts. When they work, they work good. When they break, parts are scarce.

tr21

the stevens/savage 301 is a little more. I just bought one and patterned it last weekend with TSS and it is great ! it did so good that my brother went and got one Monday. It's going to feel funny this season carrying it instead of the 835....

frankwright

I bought the youth Savage/Stevens 301 in 20 ga.
Neat, handy little gun. I did a DIY camo job and added a red Dot and a good choke and sling.
I carried it but the turkeys have been hard to find on the land I normally hunt.
I will try again this year.

tr21

I bought the youth Savage/Stevens 301 in 20 ga.
Neat, handy little gun. I did a DIY camo job and added a red Dot and a good choke and sling.
I carried it but the turkeys have been hard to find on the land I normally hunt.
I will try again this year.
I shot the Federal #9 TSS and mine didn't do good. but the Browning #9 TSS were great. I just got my #9.5 Apex Ninja's Monday and hope to pattern them next week. Like I said the Federals weren't good even at 20yds, Browning's will smoke 'em out past 40yds so I can't wait to see what the Apex's will do

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have a Yildiz .410 O/U it’s performed flawlessly so far. It patterns great to 40 yards. It‘s in that 5 lb weight class. I’ve had a Savage/Stevens 20 gauge SxS that I’ve hunted with since a teen. Not as light but a reliable gun, killed a truck load of small and upland game with it.

weagle

I bought one of the CD 101 20ga shotguns last year for a compact turkey gun. Mine is the 20" with the rail on top. Works great with a red dot and 20ga #9 TSS load.

Bobby Bigtime

I bought the Hatfield single shot 410. I believe the CD, ATI, Hatfield and a few others all come out of the same Turkish factory. I love mine, it shoots and patterns pretty well not a lot of choke to her though but shines with the buckshot, slugs and other defense loads. Good camp gun..... Cheap too.

bighonkinjeep

Just a side note for your consideration.

Its really easy to miss with tight chokes and hard shot especially when they sneak in on you up close From behind or the side. Turkey hunting rarely goes down like in hunting vids or onTV Or the way you have it in your mind.
The first time the big whiff happened to me I remember vividly sitting there with a stupid look on my face wondering what the heck just happened.
After that there have been a couple that needed a quick follow up to knock em out of the air.
Yup, if Im going turkey hunting my shotguns dang sure gonna hold more than one and Im going to be ready to use em.
If your using TSS to up your odds having that follow up can up them even more and prevent that dumbfounded lesson you dont forget and the following walk of shame back to the truck.
With all that in mind and if you still decide to go single shot Savage makes a Turkey specific 410 model 301 ( around $200) that has all the features specifically designed for Turkey hunting with TSS They even have a package gun that comes with a red dot mounted and bore sighted.( 301XP $249) Maybe a few bucks more than a Daley but most likely a much more dependable already equipped option.
Good Luck

Last edited:

Long Cut

Just a side note for your consideration.

Its really easy to miss with tight chokes and hard shot especially when they sneak in on you up close From behind or the side. Turkey hunting rarely goes down like in hunting vids or onTV Or the way you have it in your mind.
The first time the big whiff happened to me I remember vividly sitting there with a stupid look on my face wondering what the heck just happened.
After that there have been a couple that needed a quick follow up to knock em out of the air.
Yup, if Im going turkey hunting my shotguns dang sure gonna hold more than one and Im going to be ready to use em.
If your using TSS to up your odds having that follow up can up them even more and prevent that dumbfounded lesson you dont forget and the following walk of shame back to the truck.
With all that in mind and if you still decide to go single shot Savage makes a Turkey specific 410 model 301 ( around $200) that has all the features specifically designed for Turkey hunting with TSS They even have a package gun that comes with a red dot mounted and bore sighted.( 301XP $249) Maybe a few bucks more than a Daley but most likely a much more dependable already equipped option.
Good Luck

I own a Stevens 301 in 20 gauge already.
I also own a CVA Scout in 6.5CM and I am the new owner of a Charles Daly 101 single shot in… 12 gauge.

I wasn’t planning on owning a 5# 12 gauge single shot for turkey hunting… but the price was right. I have a Sumtoy choke on the way and a new Burris FastFire 3 ready to be mounted.

I’m a huge proponent of single shot deer and turkey guns. Their weight, compactness and affordability speak to me. I’ve destroyed several guns just from crawling, falling, brush busting, etc… I leave the “nice” European guns at the house nowadays.

From my personal experience, if I “needed” a second shot, I shouldn’t have taken the first one. This also puts more emphasis on me making the best shot I possibly can.

Long Cut

Bad medicine right there.

Unfortunately Charles Daly decided to sell these with PLASTIC butt stocks and pic rails…
Everything else is metal, though.

For the price tag, I’m not upset. Just a forewarning for others if you decide to purchase these guns.

37 1/4” OAL
Trigger Pull feels about 7# but is beginning to soften up as I work it

Shoulders nicely. I’ll wait until I get a rubber buttstock before shooting it.

IMG_0819.jpeg
IMG_0820.jpeg

Bobby Bigtime

I have an eyeball on the Stevens 301 in 20 gauge for another knock around shotgun. Appears to be a bit more solid and robust than the Turkish guns. I don't have any experience with them though.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The Savage/Stevens 301 shotguns are made in Turkey also.

Long Cut

I have an eyeball on the Stevens 301 in 20 gauge for another knock around shotgun. Appears to be a bit more solid and robust than the Turkish guns. I don't have any experience with them though.

I own a 20 gauge Stevens 301 and now a Charles Daly 101 in 12 gauge.

The Stevens are a little more expensive, but feel more solid. Better trigger, cleaner action, metal pic rail, rubber buttstock etc

I’d absolutely recommend the Stevens over the CD out of the box. After modifications, the CD may come out on top. We’ll see.

Long Cut

First upgrade and arguably the most important for a 5.3# 12 gauge turkey gun… was removing that thin plastic butt stock. The Limbsaver AirTech fit like a glove.
-The LOP on this gun, especially after the AirTech upgrade, fits me significantly better than the shorter LOP Stevens 301T.

I’ve been speaking with Mr. William at SumToy Customs, the barrel will be getting shipped off to him here shortly. I appreciate all the insight and help along the way from y’all.

Even though my 2024 GA Turkey season is close to over, I’m already looking forward to toting this gun in 2025! IMG_0990.jpegIMG_0991.jpegIMG_0993.jpeg