Chattahoochee WMA Gun Hunt

jbogg

I was planning on taking some time off to camp/hunt for 4-5 days on Chattahoochee during the first week of bow season. I just realized there is a week long gun hunt at the end of September and am wondering if that might be the time to go. I haven't been able to find any 2015 data on the gun hunt, but was curious if some of you guys went on that hunt last year. The question is do I hunt less pressured bears early with my Xbow, or wait for the gun hunt? My time off for an extended camp/hunt is limited, so any advice is appreciated.

P.S. Please excuse my frequent posts in the bear forum. Can you tell I am a tad bit excited for the opener. :banana:

Joe Brandon

I will tell you this, if your going bow opener you will have much more fun going the Monday of opening week thru Thurs rather than going Sat for opening day. The place gets packed, I mean people start heading up that Mon and Tues to establish camp sites. The following week will provide much less pressure. That's just my experience.

jbogg

Thanks Joe. I had already decided that if I go opening week of bow season I would hunt regular NF on Saturday and then move to the WMA on Monday. Any idea how many people signed in during last years opener? Sounds like I will be adding to an already crowded field.

tree cutter 08

I went last year but it was during one of the many monsoon's we had. I got soaked but ended up shooting a huge boar hog. I don't remember it being packed but there was a few folks up. I think it would be a good chance for a bear since its still early season and you would have a little better advantage with a boom stick over a bow, or at least I would.

Joe Brandon

Thanks Joe. I had already decided that if I go opening week of bow season I would hunt regular NF on Saturday and then move to the WMA on Monday. Any idea how many people signed in during last years opener? Sounds like I will be adding to an already crowded field.

When I got there the Friday before opening day there was a page and a half of names signed in. I think it was like 40 or 50 people. Last year on opening weekend it got really windy, that first week only 2 bears were killed, one guy who used to be very active on here harvested one of those. But like I said and Cutter said, the weather was windy and ruff last year opening weekend. High winds Sat and lots of rain Sun if I recall correctly. Also remember that we are talking 25,000 acres, so I guess 40-50 people is not large in comparison. I also called the Gainesville DNR location and asked to speak to the biologist in that region. He called me back within 15 minutes and gave me a lot of great information about what was planted in the varies food plots and where he had been seeing the best bear activity. I would suggest anyone hunting WMAs to call the local biologist, he gave me a wealth of information and was very friendly.

Buckman18

When I got there the Friday before opening day there was a page and a half of names signed in. I think it was like 40 or 50 people. Last year on opening weekend it got really windy, that first week only 2 bears were killed, one guy who used to be very active on here harvested one of those. But like I said and Cutter said, the weather was windy and ruff last year opening weekend. High winds Sat and lots of rain Sun if I recall correctly. Also remember that we are talking 25,000 acres, so I guess 40-50 people is not large in comparison. I also called the Gainesville DNR location and asked to speak to the biologist in that region. He called me back within 15 minutes and gave me a lot of great information about what was planted in the varies food plots and where he had been seeing the best bear activity. I would suggest anyone hunting WMAs to call the local biologist, he gave me a wealth of information and was very friendly.

That guy was me in my alter ego.

Last edited:

35 Whelen

According to this there were only 108 hunters signed in for the firearms hunt Sept.26 - Oct. 3, 2015. It says "Hog Only" however that hunt included bear, no bear harvest information is posted on these hunt results, only deer and hogs. My brother and nephew were there 2 days but as noted the weather was a wash out and they did not see any bear or hogs.

http://www1.gadnr.org/dnr/deer/public

jbogg

According to this there were only 108 hunters signed in for the firearms hunt Sept.26 - Oct. 3, 2015. It says "Hog Only" however that hunt included bear, no bear harvest information is posted on these hunt results, only deer and hogs. My brother and nephew were there 2 days but as noted the weather was a wash out and they did not see any bear or hogs.

http://www1.gadnr.org/dnr/deer/public

That's not many hunters on 25,000 acres, but I'm sure the weather put a damper on things. Thanks for the link.

Buckman18

That's not many hunters on 25,000 acres, but I'm sure the weather put a damper on things. Thanks for the link.

Yeah the weather was nasty last year. I killed a bear the week before the hunt with my bow, and took my (then) 8 yr old daughter to try and shoot one on the gun hunt. Unfortunately, when a bear came by, she couldn't hold still on it long enough before it saw us, 'wuffed,' and spooked. Here's a pic of her on Chattahoochee sitting in the rain... She is ready to try it again.

jbogg

Yeah the weather was nasty last year. I killed a bear the week before the hunt with my bow, and took my (then) 8 yr old daughter to try and shoot one on the gun hunt. Unfortunately, when a bear came by, she couldn't hold still on it long enough before it saw us, 'wuffed,' and spooked. Here's a pic of her on Chattahoochee sitting in the rain... She is ready to try it again.

Congrats Buckman! Sounds like you were on the bear last year. Your girl was a trooper hunting in that weather. I hope she has another opportunity this year. This will be my first try for a bear, as well as my first time hunting public ground in the mountains. I am excited to be trying something new. I haven't been this fired up for the season to open in a long time.

Buckman18

Congrats Buckman! Sounds like you were on the bear last year. Your girl was a trooper hunting in that weather. I hope she has another opportunity this year. This will be my first try for a bear, as well as my first time hunting public ground in the mountains. I am excited to be trying something new. I haven't been this fired up for the season to open in a long time.

I certainly wish you luck! I've read your post, and admire how much time you're putting into learning the mountains and learning bears. I have no doubt you'll be successful! Chattahoochee is a good WMA, but so is Swallow Creek - don't overlook that one. Also, make sure you've got some places on the national forest outside of WMA's scouted out. Folks, me included, get so tied up in the 'brand' associated with a WMA, and we sometimes forget there are 100's of 1000's of acres NOT tied up and are open land for the majority of the season. And, often, this land is untouched or nearly so, and a heckuva lot better hunting in many cases. Let me know if I can help. I'll be putting up the fishing pole and will start scouting in the next few weeks.

Buckman18

My brother hey man!!! Okay okay got ya! Glad to see you active and well!!! Shoot you a pm soon brother!

10-4 good buddy! It's getting to be 'about that time' again! Look forward to hearing from you!

ripplerider

Hunting the adjoining open Forest service tracts when a WMA hunt is on can be very productive. Local guy I know had a wall full of trophies many of which were taken using this approach.

jbogg

I certainly wish you luck! I've read your post, and admire how much time you're putting into learning the mountains and learning bears. I have no doubt you'll be successful! Chattahoochee is a good WMA, but so is Swallow Creek - don't overlook that one. Also, make sure you've got some places on the national forest outside of WMA's scouted out. Folks, me included, get so tied up in the 'brand' associated with a WMA, and we sometimes forget there are 100's of 1000's of acres NOT tied up and are open land for the majority of the season. And, often, this land is untouched or nearly so, and a heckuva lot better hunting in many cases. Let me know if I can help. I'll be putting up the fishing pole and will start scouting in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the sound advice. Several other guys on here had given me the same recomendation regarding NF back in January. As a result 90% of my scouting has been on NF since I don't want to be constrained by the limited WMA dates especially during gun season. I was pleased to find several areas on NF with more deer sign than I had ever seen on my old lease. I will definitely check out Swallow Creek at some point. As it is, it will already take me a couple of years to hunt all of the likely spots I have found so far. Great problem to have after hunting a small lease for so long. Wish I had checked out the mountains much sooner.

jbogg

Hunting the adjoining open Forest service tracts when a WMA hunt is on can be very productive. Local guy I know had a wall full of trophies many of which were taken using this approach.

Hey ripple! Hunting the NF fringes of a pressured WMA hunt sounds like a great strategy.

T-N-T

I took off work and went to the early rifle hunt last year.
Left early because my 2 pairs of boots were soaked, my multiple pairs of pants were soaked. My shirts were soaked. My camper had water beads on the walls.
I went to Stone Mountain to camp for 2 nights before I had to return to work.

I will be there this year as well. Low Gap Creek campground. Shoot me a PM if you plan on camping. We can drink beer and eat good food around a campfire.

jbogg

I took off work and went to the early rifle hunt last year.
Left early because my 2 pairs of boots were soaked, my multiple pairs of pants were soaked. My shirts were soaked. My camper had water beads on the walls.
I went to Stone Mountain to camp for 2 nights before I had to return to work.

I will be there this year as well. Low Gap Creek campground. Shoot me a PM if you plan on camping. We can drink beer and eat good food around a campfire.

Good company around the campfire sounds good to me. Hoping to spend at least spend two nights camping. I will definitely shoot you a PM as we get closer.

Flaustin1

What are the dates for this years early rifle hunt? Also is it limited to Chat. WMA?