Chevy Colorado GMC Canyon

FootLongDawg

I have a gas 6 cyl 2018 Colorado I bought used from Carmax a couple of years ago. The only problem I had was a skippy transmission caused by what folks on you-tube called the wrong transmission fluid, but the dealer called defective fluid. It was under warranty, so the dealer changed the fluid and it runs fine now. The truck is OK, but the Boise sound system is awesome. I would imagine the similar Japanese models are probably better.

Resica

I have a 2018 Colorado. 6 cylinder z 71. Get about 22-23 mpg. High of 27. Never below 20. I don't tow.

Resica

I have a gas 6 cyl 2018 Colorado I bought used from Carmax a couple of years ago. The only problem I had was a skippy transmission caused by what folks on you-tube called the wrong transmission fluid, but the dealer called defective fluid. It was under warranty, so the dealer changed the fluid and it runs fine now. The truck is OK, but the Boise sound system is awesome. I would imagine the similar Japanese models are probably better.
Did they change it or flush it?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I test drove a Colorado before buying. Ending up buying full size. Advertised fuel mileage was 26. Due to room, I ended up buying a full size Silverado for just a few $1000 more and getting 24 on the highway with it. The extra room for a little more $$ and not really losing any fuel mileage was worth it. My worse fuel mileage was 21.

Sargent

I see a lot of Frontiers running around. Haven’t really considered a Nissan but I will do some research…..do you drive one? Satisfied with it?

I have a 2011 6cyl 4wd. I bought it in 2012 with 9k miles. It currently has about 135k on it. I probably get 18 mpg with a mixture of hwy/streets. All streets and it drops to 16.

I have had one mechanical problem. A sensor went bad and I replaced it with an aftermarket to save a few bucks. The problem repeated itself and I replaced it with the OEM part and haven't had any more issues.

They're tough little trucks. They're plain but nice. I'm looking at trading soon and the new Frontier is at the top of my list.

Ajohnson0587

Here's a n opinion from a GM world class technician of 15yrs.
If you are looking to buy a Colorado or Canyon and plan to tow and MPG's is what you are concerned about, buy the diesel! The V6 has the power to get up and go compared to other mid-size V6 pick up trucks, and it gets good fuel economy when its not towing (22-27)

The newer generation is a lot better of a vehicle compared to past models, yes there have been issues with cracked fly wheels (early on in 2015), this seemed to be remedied within the first year as i haven't seen one since 2016. If the truck is equipped with the 8spd transmission and was built prior to March of 2019, it could have torque converter shudder (feels like driving over rumble strips), this is easily fixed with a 20qrt flush with an updated fluid, its covered by the power train warranty, if its still applicable. *Fair warning* Majority of extended warranty companies do not cover the flush, i only mention this as you said you plan to buy used. We have seen some issues with radio display screens having dead spots in the screen (Won't work to the touch), and we have seen issues with Radios going bad (no way to know when it will happen until it happens). Although we have seen these issue's, they have been far and few. If you live on a dirt road plan on replacing the EVAP vent solenoid as they seem to collect dirt more then any other vehicle I've seen. Outside of these things we rarely see them in the shop of anything major, the vent solenoid isn't a major repair as its usually less than $400 to replace, I'm sure there are video's on YouTube that could walk you through it.

The question i get from most customer's... Would you buy one? The short answer is yes! They are good little trucks with very few issues. My best advice i can give you is, keep the oil changed regularly, and avoid wiring in anything aftermarket, most of the wiring/electrical gremlins i deal with are usually related to some type of aftermarket component. Take care of it, it will take care of you. I hope this answers some question's for you, good luck with your future vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw this post. I have a 2020 Colorado ZR2. I have about 19,000 miles on it so far and it has been flawless. The ZR2 doesn't get the mileage of the other Colorado's and I didn't buy it for the gas mileage. It is one of the most capable stock off road trucks you can buy and I have put it through some stuff.

On a long trip I can push 20 mpg if I drive like I should, but that is hard to do. It is a very responsive truck. Around town I'm seeing 18'ish. A good portion of those overall miles have been pulling a 19' CC and my average mileage with it gets into 15-16 mpg. Towing is breeze and never felt under gunned.