College ride

I am looking for a vehicle for college. I currently live in walton county but will be moving to watkinsville for college in the next year or so. I don't know how much city/highway driving I'll be doing but I am looking for something that does decent on both. My ride for right now is a 1995 ford f150 2wd 5.0. It is a regular cab short bed pickup and will work for short term but I need something that doesn't hurt as much. If I'm lucky I get 14 mpg, that being 100% of my driving in the city. I am looking for a truck that will get at least 16 or 17 around town and close to 20 or more on the highway. I have been looking around and researching and have come up with some options but i am open to input and discussion. PLEASE keep in mind that my budget would be at best $10,000

Vehicle requirements:
1. 4x4- i know this means less mpg but i need the 4x4 for hunting and possible road conditions
2. I want at least an extended cab, but 4 door would be great
3. The truck will not be sitting on anything more than 35s for a full size, 33s for a mid-size

Vehicles i have done research on and considering
1. Toyota tacoma- I know these things are worth their weight in gold, but i have always heard great things and i love them.
2. chevy colorado or gmc canyon- i love the fact these things are most common in 4 door
3. Jeep Cherokee- i am talking about the cube style that runs from i think 84 to 01. I really like the 4x4 capabilities for these because of the straight axle.
4. Nissan- i had a little Nissan hardbody pickup before my ford but it was totaled. It was a great little truck and ran for 485,000 miles with 2 motors.

I am open to any brand really, but for fullsize trucks i prefer Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, possibly a dodge, and the only diesel option i have is a dodge because of the good gas mileage, although a diesel probably isnt really a possibility. Any and all ideas are welcome and if you have any ideas on possibly improving my F150 mileage, feel free. it is bone stock

merc123

If staying on campus, keep your truck. You'll be walking I'd say.

Only time I drove my car was the rare occasion in the evenings if I wanted to go out and eat somewhere instead of on campus. Rest was on Friday nights headed home for the weekend.

Panthers65

School in watkinsville means Gainesville/Oconee campus, right? I started there for 2 years before finishing up at UGA, excellent decision. Get all your hard classes done at Gainesville where you can take advantage of the lower student/teacher ratio.

As for vehicles, most the ones you listed are solid except for the Colorado/Canyon. My last company bought one to be mixed in with a fleet of aging Rangers, and it was the biggest CensoredCensoredCensored ever, I hated that truck.

You didn't mention a budget, but most of the newer trucks will get you everything you listed, but at a $30K price tag. Like you said, the Tacomas are very nice, but worth their weight in gold. A positive to that is they will hold their value better than most the vehicles that you listed.

One big advantage of the Cherokee is the ridiculous number of them that were built. I would say this would be your most economical option, both from a initial cost option and the ability to keep it running with cheap parts. Plus, if your not overly tech savvy, is a great way to learn how to turn a wrench because there is a huge community of forums and help out there.

The Nissian will be another cheap option because they are everywhere, but don't have the same online support community the the Jeep will.

If I were in your shoes (and my shoes right now) look for a Suburu Forester or Outback (or even Legacy).

They don't have the rugged he-man cachet of a real 4 WD PU, but

(a) The Suburu is more reliable and MUCH cheaper to operate. You mention the lower gas mileage for a PU, but you have to remember that lower mileage is for EVERY mile you drive, not just rugged off road bogging. You're hauling that 4 WD equipment every mile you drive.

(b) Insurance, especially for someone your age, is considerable cheaper.

(c) You're not going to be hauling pulpwood or sheet rock any time soon, so in your heart of hearts you know you don't really need a PU. Besides, should the occasion arise, you will be a lot more presentable to any young ladies whose acquaintance you may make if you don't have to take spit cups out of the cupholders of a PU. The reclining seats have their uses.

If you are depending on an older Jeep Cherokee for every day transportation, well, good luck with that.

tr21

your current truck can get 16-17 if you do a six litre tune up and advance the timing. my 94 bronco 5.8 gets 17+ on hwy. as high as 18 on trips

rayjay

If you are currently driving a paid off vehicle acquiring a monthly payment never works out $$ wise if you do a detailed analysis of the money you will "save" from better mileage. Figure out the miles per year, the difference in fuel mileage and then the cost of the difference in gas. There is also the chance that you insurance will go up dramatically. If you are going to play around in the mud your maintenance bill will also go up dramatically.

You can buy a LOT of gas for the cost of a car payment each month.

kayaker1

If you need a truck bed get the Tacoma, if you don't need a truck bed get the cherokee, you can find 3 or 4 of them for 10k. They are easy to work on, cheap parts, relatively reliable and tons and tons of help to get them back up an running. Avoid the earlier renix years I would look for 98 and up. If you can find a 5 speed snatch it up...

Hankus

park the truck at home or where you will most likely be usin it from an get a used Honda fer travelin. maybe even sell the truck an get a 4x4 if you think this sounds good.

Gas prices change like women do.. Always better to have a economic vehicle over a high maintence one