Classic Hot Rods

j_seph

So I have this hankering and at some point it is going to happen. Question is this. Is someone better off getting a classic like the 70's camaro /trans-am, chevelle or nova that is already built for 10-18 k or are you better off getting one and starting from a 3-4 k vehicle and gradually building?

Capt Quirk

I will say, if it isn't stock, then you really have no idea what's been done, or the level of quality. Somebody tried to turn my F100 into a race truck. I have no idea of what all is in it, but I can say their enthusiasm outweighed their skill, and stupid was in their toolbox.

Hillbilly stalker

To me a hot rod is a personal thing. It's your car. We built them when we were teenagers and took them out and twisted them on the weekends. The sad thing about building one to your taste is you will never get your money back out of it. If I just wanted something to cruise around in, I'd buy a built one, take care of it and hope it held its value .

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I hate to admit it being a old gearhead, a lot can be said for factory fuel injection, a bit more modern suspension and brakes, as well as overdrive.

I often look for the less popular vehicles that have the options I like. Then I make a few changes to suit my desires. As much as I like building an old school motor, carb, cam, etc. I don't miss struggling with the carburetor on cold mornings, vapor lock on hot days, dealing with this silly modern ethanol fuel and its low boiling point, weak suspension, brakes, no overdrive, etc.

What brands/styles do you like?

Can't speak to the price but something like this might be a decent starting point. Not a model everybody else wants, but good potential and a good conversation starter.
00X0X_3ljaBXqzw33_1200x900.jpg

1972 Pontiac Ventura II /Stroker motor

And on the modern "sleeper" end of the scale, 6.0L V8 RWD, performance handling, modern conveniences, admitedly way more power (usable) than most of our old musclecars...(there, I said it).
00b0b_5OFLvzL44Ol_600x450.jpg

2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Last edited:

Meriwether Mike

Probably a good deal if you hold onto it a while. I have owned mine since 2002.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
In general there right when they says youll never get your money out of it if you build it.

But if your plan is to get that one car (1965 mustang) and keep it a long time. It might be worth it.

rayjay

I would love to have a project car but old injuries, arthritis, and other age related issues make it impossible. Any drive over 45 mins ends up with a headache later so even if I had a car sitting here I would get no enjoyment out of driving it. So if you want one then act now while you are able.

I DO dream though, through youtube. Cars I dream about -
RX7 with a V8
Baja bug
Sandrail
4G Corvette [ incredibly affordable right now ].
Locost
Nascar Pavement Modified styled street car [ Whelen Modified ]

Here is a pic of probably my last "project" aka The Goose

186CjFm.jpg

GoldDot40

The trend today is to get something old...and put a modern engine in it. I've done it. I had reservations about doing it at first. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. Nostalgia look. Nostalgia sound. Modern dependability. Get in and go.

j_seph

So how crazy would it be to decide on the engine you want, getting it setp and done then finding a roller vehicle to install it in afterwards?

transfixer

There is a lot of time and money involved in buying something that has seen better days and trying to restore it back to original, a lot of patience is needed also, as others have said, if you ever sell it you might get your money spent on parts back out of it, depending on what you did, but you'll never get the money spent on labor back, a former friend of mine still does restos and body work as his main way of making a living, I've seen him spend 20k on parts in restoring a early 70's car, taking a year and a half to do it, and sell it for $30 to $35k when done, not hardly worth the effort, but he enjoys doing it,

I have another friend who does a lot of LS powertrain installs in virtually anything, from a Porsche 944 to a 57 chevy nomad wagon, he doesn't do the body work, just the powertrain stuff, wiring, digital dashes, hydroboost brake systems conversions, then the customer gets someone to do bodywork and interior, Average customer usually ends up with $30 to $60k when the project is done, but they have a drivetrain that will get 18 to 20mpg, sometimes more,, and modern air conditioning and brakes, while having a classic car look.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Yep, restomod is the way to go nowadays.