Close to the road?

Timberjack86

I've found several good leads and saddles to scout for early bow season. Each is up around 2800 -3000 ft. They have white and red oaks scattered about them. My only concern is each of these awesome areas is within 300-400 yards of a service road. Would you hunt these areas that close to a service road? I'm sure I will be able to hear the gravel popping when I'm out there.

jbogg

The older I get, the closer to the truck the better. When I started Hunting the mountains I assumed I needed to get way back in there so I didn’t have to worry about other hunters. The reality is there are not a ton of guys hunting bears during early bow season, so hunt where you find the fresh sign no matter how close to a road.

Timberjack86

Due to time constraints I'm hunting in TN this year and we just have a 2 week bow season in the National Forest. Im going to blitz scout all these areas I've marked the 2 weekends before season opens. I've got 6 leads to check and one that is a proven producer. Hopefully I can get it done in that short amount of time.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I would, bears don't mind roads and will use the just like old logging roads, path of least resistance

KentuckyHeadhunter

I've found more bear sign within 50 yards of where I park. I stepped out of my jeep one day and almost slipped and smeared myself in it. Where people park people leave trash. The smell of motor oil attracts them also. I don't want my first bear to be that easy though. I want a bloody pack!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I've found more bear sign within 50 yards of where I park. I stepped out of my jeep one day and almost slipped and smeared myself in it. Where people park people leave trash. The smell of motor oil attracts them also. I don't want my first bear to be that easy though. I want a bloody pack!
If it's big, you'll be happy it was close to the road and you will have plenty of blood on the pack. Nothing easy about it since it is free ranging and you found the honey hole