Codex Sinaiticus

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Sargent clearly pointed out that your assertion in the OP was wrong.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Sargent clearly pointed out that your assertion in the OP was wrong.

And yet somehow the conversation continues.
Centerpin mentions another early Bible version of Mark that does not mention it and neither do other of the earliest versions of Mark.
As I research more I am finding that Sinaiticus has been added to, subtracted from, edited and had replacements of passages. The ultraviolet testing has revealed passages that have been erased as traces of the original ink still remain but it still does not say ,with so many editors doing revisions, when that ink was inserted and when that ink was erased. Being that the same text is not present in other early versions of Mark is it quite possible it was added in Sinaiticus later and then removed as a correction again after another editors revision.

I will continue to try to research other of the earliest versions of Mark and see where it leads.

1gr8bldr

Do you mean gender or sex?
LOL, I had to google this, there is a difference. LOL, I learn something everyday. Yesterday it was that a cedar tree on a hedge row is no good. The good cedar wood comes from a cedar tree under the canopy of surrounding big woods.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
And yet somehow the conversation continues.
Centerpin mentions another early Bible version of Mark that does not mention it and neither do other of the earliest versions of Mark.
As I research more I am finding that Sinaiticus has been added to, subtracted from, edited and had replacements of passages. The ultraviolet testing has revealed passages that have been erased as traces of the original ink still remain but it still does not say ,with so many editors doing revisions, when that ink was inserted and when that ink was erased. Being that the same text is not present in other early versions of Mark is it quite possible it was added in Sinaiticus later and then removed as a correction again after another editors revision.

I will continue to try to research other of the earliest versions of Mark and see where it leads.

From everything I have read CS has been heavily edited. What I did find interesting is that there is a very high correlation between CS and CV. Over 90% according to some excerpts I read. From what I gather this adds to the historical integrity of both documents.

660griz

All of this could have been avoided if God would have wrote the book. Hard to find good help.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
All of this could have been avoided if God would have wrote the book. Hard to find good help.

Isn't that the truth.

Mark, who was the first to write a Gospel, did not witness any of it as he wrote down what Peter told him.
Not a very accurate way of getting details right.

660griz

081-Biblical-Criticism.png

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Good one Griz.
A LOT of house cleaning went on in the early church and many texts were purposely destroyed, changed, added to etc.
I am trying to research the reasoning behind why ancient texts were ordered to be treated in such manners..

drippin' rock

I found this site while checking around:
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/biblianazar/esp_biblianazar_40.htm

Now I am going to have to check into MORE stuff.

"They openly declared that none but the ignorant was fit to hear their discourses"
This quote from the page reminds me of the effort to convert as children. You know, before they get other ideas in their heads.

I never have believed that Constantine was a Christian. It just makes sense that he would make stuff up to control people. Seems to me that is what religion has always been about. Control and keeping people ignorant.

drippin' rock

Good one Griz.
A LOT of house cleaning went on in the early church and many texts were purposely destroyed, changed, added to etc.
I am trying to research the reasoning behind why ancient texts were ordered to be treated in such manners..

Because the texts didn't fit into the narrative attempting to be written at the time. Much easier to do that when most of society was unwashed ignorant masses.

1gr8bldr

Isn't that the truth.

Mark, who was the first to write a Gospel, did not witness any of it as he wrote down what Peter told him.
Not a very accurate way of getting details right.
Yes and Matthew and Luke copied from Mark. Not a very accurate way of recording anything. Leaves lots of room for embellishments

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Yes and Matthew and Luke copied from Mark. Not a very accurate way of recording anything. Leaves lots of room for embellishments

Indeed.

Have you looked into Matthew and Luke being written much later than claimed and under orders from the early church in order to tell more details?

A lot of Esubius's writings really has me wondering about some of the Gospels.
Most of the earliest known copies are 4th century and that is about the time the church is involved. I can't help but think that some of that writing is original as per church orders.

1gr8bldr

Indeed.

Have you looked into Matthew and Luke being written much later than claimed and under orders from the early church in order to tell more details?
No but signs do exist that it was late enough that Jewish ways were no longer remembered. An example is that Jewish lingo was that they sometimes repeat things, Like "riding on a wave, a big wave". The text says Jesus came riding on a donkey the foal of a donkey. So Matthew not knowing this Jewish meaning has Jesus riding on both. Our translations have covered it up but the greek says that he came riding on "them".
Edit, I was surprised that many I looked up do use "them". This is about half of what biblehub had listed. Most the remainder use "them"

"Say to Daughter Zion, 'See, your king comes to you, gentle and riding on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.'"

New Living Translation
"Tell the people of Jerusalem, 'Look, your King is coming to you. He is humble, riding on a donkey--riding on a donkey's colt.'"

English Standard Version
“Say to the daughter of Zion, ‘Behold, your king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden.’�

New American Standard Bible
"SAY TO THE DAUGHTER OF ZION, 'BEHOLD YOUR KING IS COMING TO YOU, GENTLE, AND MOUNTED ON A DONKEY, EVEN ON A COLT, THE FOAL OF A BEAST OF BURDEN.'"

King James Bible
Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon an CensoredCensoredCensored, and a colt the foal of an CensoredCensoredCensored.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Tell Daughter Zion, "Look, your King is coming to you, gentle, and mounted on a donkey, even on a colt, the foal of a beast of burden."

International Standard Version
"Tell the daughter of Zion, 'Look, your king is coming to you! He is humble and mounted on a donkey, even on a colt of a donkey.'"

NET Bible
"Tell the people of Zion, 'Look, your king is coming to you, unassuming and seated on a donkey, and on a colt, the foal of a donkey.'"

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
“Say to the daughter of Zion, 'Behold, your King comes to you meek and riding on a donkey and upon a colt, the foal of a she donkey.'�

GOD'S WORD® Translation
"Tell the people of Zion, 'Your king is coming to you. He's gentle, riding on a donkey, on a colt, a young pack animal.'"

They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them for Jesus to sit on.

New Living Translation
They brought the donkey and the colt to him and threw their garments over the colt, and he sat on it.

English Standard Version
They brought the donkey and the colt and put on them their cloaks, and he sat on them.

New American Standard Bible
and brought the donkey and the colt, and laid their coats on them; and He sat on the coats.

King James Bible
And brought the CensoredCensoredCensored, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they set him thereon.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
They brought the donkey and the colt; then they laid their robes on them, and He sat on them.

International Standard Version
They brought the donkey and the colt and put their coats on them, and he sat upon them.

NET Bible
They brought the donkey and the colt and placed their cloaks on them, and he sat on them.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
And they brought the donkey and the colt and they placed their garments on the colt and Yeshua rode upon it.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
They brought the donkey and the colt and put their coats on them for Jesus to sit on.

Jubilee Bible 2000
and brought the CensoredCensoredCensored and the colt and put on them their clothes, and he sat upon them.

King James 2000 Bible
And brought the donkey, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they sat him thereon.