Codex Sinaiticus

ambush80

The answer to this:

Do you mean gender or sex?

Completely changes the context of this:

Interesting read Bullet. I have often pondered this subject of Jesus getting sensationalized in the NT. For me, even if he did, I still maintain the basis of my belief. I have asked myself.... why do I believe as I do? It is strange but I feel as though it was decided for me... just like my gender. Strange, I know, but I thought you might find that interesting.

Don't you think?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'm gettin' a pretty good "grassy knoll" vibe from this thread.

You can believe the Warren Commission, Bible, and Sandy Hook Advisory Commission all you want.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I'm gettin' a pretty good "grassy knoll" vibe from this thread.

So did Mark witness Jesus in action or did he write down as how Peter remembered?
And did Matthew and Luke use Mark as their reference?

I plan on starting here and seeing where it takes me.

Last edited:

centerpin fan

So did Mark witness Jesus in action or did he write down as how Peter remembered?

Probably some of both.

And did Matthew and Luke use Mark as their reference?

As an apostle, Matthew would not have needed to use anything as a reference. As for Luke, here is what he said:

"Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught."

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Probably some of both.

As an apostle, Matthew would not have needed to use anything as a reference. As for Luke, here is what he said:

"Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught."

I guess the Church has got it wrong then.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
"The Great Insertion" and "The Great Omission"

Modern-day versions of the Gospel of Luke have a staggering 10,000 more words than the same Gospel in the Sinai Bible. Six of those words say of Jesus "and was carried up into heaven", but this narrative does not appear in any of the oldest Gospels of Luke available today ("Three Early Doctrinal Modifications of the Text of the Gospels", F. C. Conybeare, The Hibbert Journal, London, vol. 1, no. 1, Oct 1902, pp. 96-113). Ancient versions do not verify modern-day accounts of an ascension of Jesus Christ, and this falsification clearly indicates an intention to deceive.

Today, the Gospel of Luke is the longest of the canonical Gospels because it now includes "The Great Insertion", an extraordinary 15th-century addition totaling around 8,500 words (Luke 9:51-18:14). The insertion of these forgeries into that Gospel bewilders modern Christian analysts, and of them the Church said:

"The character of these passages makes it dangerous to draw inferences"

(Catholic Encyclopedia, Pecci ed., vol. ii, p. 407).

Just as remarkable, the oldest Gospels of Luke omit all verses from 6:45 to 8:26, known in priesthood circles as "The Great Omission", a total of 1,547 words. In today's versions, that hole has been "plugged up" with passages plagiarized from other Gospels. Dr Tischendorf found that three paragraphs in newer versions of the Gospel of Luke's version of the Last Supper appeared in the 15th century, but the Church still passes its Gospels off as the unadulterated "word of God" ("Are Our Gospels Genuine or Not?", op. cit.)

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Gospel authors exposed as imposters

There is something else involved in this scenario and it is recorded in the Catholic Encyclopedia. An appreciation of the clerical mindset arises when the Church itself admits that it does not know who wrote its Gospels and Epistles, confessing that all 27 New Testament writings began life anonymously:

"It thus appears that the present titles of the Gospels are not traceable to the evangelists themselves ... they [the New Testament collection] are supplied with titles which, however ancient, do not go back to the respective authors of those writings."

(Catholic Encyclopedia, Farley ed., vol. vi, pp. 655-6)

The Church maintains that "the titles of our Gospels were not intended to indicate authorship", adding that "the headings ... were affixed to them" (Catholic Encyclopedia, Farley ed., vol. i, p. 117, vol. vi, pp. 655, 656). Therefore they are not Gospels written "according to Matthew, Mark, Luke or John", as publicly stated. The full force of this confession reveals that there are no genuine apostolic Gospels, and that the Church's shadowy writings today embody the very ground and pillar of Christian foundations and faith.

The consequences are fatal to the pretence of Divine origin of the entire New Testament and expose Christian texts as having no special authority. For centuries, fabricated Gospels bore Church certification of authenticity now confessed to be false, and this provides evidence that Christian writings are wholly fallacious.

centerpin fan

Gospel authors exposed as imposters

There is something else involved in this scenario and it is recorded in the Catholic Encyclopedia. An appreciation of the clerical mindset arises when the Church itself admits that it does not know who wrote its Gospels and Epistles, confessing that all 27 New Testament writings began life anonymously:

"It thus appears that the present titles of the Gospels are not traceable to the evangelists themselves ... they [the New Testament collection] are supplied with titles which, however ancient, do not go back to the respective authors of those writings."

(Catholic Encyclopedia, Farley ed., vol. vi, pp. 655-6)

The Church maintains that "the titles of our Gospels were not intended to indicate authorship", adding that "the headings ... were affixed to them" (Catholic Encyclopedia, Farley ed., vol. i, p. 117, vol. vi, pp. 655, 656). Therefore they are not Gospels written "according to Matthew, Mark, Luke or John", as publicly stated. The full force of this confession reveals that there are no genuine apostolic Gospels, and that the Church's shadowy writings today embody the very ground and pillar of Christian foundations and faith.

I don't think it reveals that at all. Quotes from the Catholic Encyclopedia are getting tossed out a lot, and your sources are leaving out some stuff:

The second word common to the titles of the canonical Gospels is the preposition kata, "according to", the exact import of which has long been a matter of discussion among Biblical scholars. Apart from various secondary meanings connected with that Greek particle, two principal significations have been ascribed to it. Many authors have taken it to mean not "written by", but "drawn up according to the conception of", Matthew, Mark, etc. In their eyes, the titles of our Gospels were not intended to indicate authorship, but to state the authority guaranteeing what is related, in about the same way as "the Gospel according to the Hebrews", or "the Gospel according to the Egyptians", does not mean the Gospel written by the Hebrews or the Egyptians, but that peculiar form of Gospel which either the Hebrews or the Egyptians had accepted. Most scholars, however, have preferred to regard the preposition kata as denoting authorship, pretty much in the same way as, in Diodorus Siculus, the History of Herodotus is called He kath Herodoton historia. At the present day it is generally admitted that, had the titles to the canonical Gospels been intended to set forth the ultimate authority or guarantor, and not to indicate the writer, the Second Gospel would, in accordance with the belief of primitive times, have been called "the Gospel according to Peter", and the third, "the Gospel according to Paul". At the same time it is rightly felt that these titles denote authorship, with a peculiar shade of meaning which is not conveyed by the titles prefixed to the Epistles of St. Paul, the Apocalypse of St. John, etc; The use of the genitive case in the latter titles Paulou Epistolai, Apokalypsis Ioannou, etc.) has no other object than that of ascribing the contents of such works to the writer whose name they actually bear. The use of the preposition kata (according to), on the contrary, while referring the composition of the contents of the First Gospel to St. Matthew, of those of the second to St. Mark, etc., implies that practically the same contents, the same glad tidings or Gospel, have been set forth by more than one narrator. Thus, "the Gospel according to Matthew" is equivalent to the Gospel history in the form in which St. Matthew put it in writing; "the Gospel according to Mark" designates the same Gospel history in another form, viz, in that in which St. Mark presented it in writing, etc. (cf. Maldonatus, "In quatuor Evangelistas", cap .i).

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06655b.htm

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09674b.htm

Authorship

All early tradition connects the Second Gospel with two names, those of St. Mark and St. Peter, Mark being held to have written what Peter had preached. We have just seen that this was the view of Papias and the elder to whom he refers. Papias wrote not later than about A.D. 130, so that the testimony of the elder probably brings us back to the first century, and shows the Second Gospel known in Asia Minor and attributed to St. Mark at that early time. So Irenæus says: "Mark, the disciple and interpreter of Peter, himself also handed down to us in writing what was preached by Peter" (Against Heresies III.1 and III.10.6). St. Clement of Alexandria, relying on the authority of "the elder presbyters", tells us that, when Peter had publicly preached in Rome, many of those who heard him exhorted Mark, as one who had long followed Peter and remembered what he had said, to write it down, and that Mark "composed the Gospel and gave it to those who had asked for it" (Eusebius, Church History VI.14). Origen says (ibid., VI, xxv) that Mark wrote as Peter directed him (os Petros huphegesato auto), and Eusebius himself reports the tradition that Peter approved or authorized Mark's work (Church History II.15). To these early Eastern witnesses may be added, from the West, the author of the Muratorian Fragment, which in its first line almost certainly refers to Mark's presence at Peter's discourses and his composition of the Gospel accordingly (Quibus tamen interfuit et ita posuit); Tertullian, who states: "The Gospel which Mark published (edidit is affirmed to be Peter's, whose interpreter Mark was" ("Contra Marc.", IV, v); St. Jerome, who in one place says that Mark wrote a short Gospel at the request of the brethren at Rome, and that Peter authorized it to be read in the Churches ("De Vir. Ill.", viii), and in another that Mark's Gospel was composed, Peter narrating and Mark writing (Petro narrante et illo scribente--"Ad Hedib.", ep. cxx). In every one of these ancient authorities Mark is regarded as the writer of the Gospel, which is looked upon at the same time as having Apostolic authority, because substantially at least it had come from St. Peter. In the light of this traditional connexion of the Gospel with St. Peter, there can be no doubt that it is to it St. Justin Martyr, writing in the middle of the second century, refers (Dialogue with Trypho 106), when he says that Christ gave the title of "Boanerges" to the sons of Zebedee (a fact mentioned in the New Testament only in Mark 3:17), and that this is written in the "memoirs" of Peter (en tois apopnemaneumasin autou--after he had just named Peter). Though St. Justin does not name Mark as the writer of the memoirs, the fact that his disciple Tatian used our present Mark, including even the last twelve verses, in the composition of the "Diatessaron", makes it practically certain that St. Justin knew our present Second Gospel, and like the other Fathers connected it with St. Peter.

centerpin fan

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09674b.htm

Authorship

All early tradition connects the Second Gospel with two names, those of St. Mark and St. Peter, Mark being held to have written what Peter had preached. We have just seen that this was the view of Papias and the elder to whom he refers. Papias wrote not later than about A.D. 130, so that the testimony of the elder probably brings us back to the first century, and shows the Second Gospel known in Asia Minor and attributed to St. Mark at that early time. So Irenæus says: "Mark, the disciple and interpreter of Peter, himself also handed down to us in writing what was preached by Peter" (Against Heresies III.1 and III.10.6). St. Clement of Alexandria, relying on the authority of "the elder presbyters", tells us that, when Peter had publicly preached in Rome, many of those who heard him exhorted Mark, as one who had long followed Peter and remembered what he had said, to write it down, and that Mark "composed the Gospel and gave it to those who had asked for it" (Eusebius, Church History VI.14). Origen says (ibid., VI, xxv) that Mark wrote as Peter directed him (os Petros huphegesato auto), and Eusebius himself reports the tradition that Peter approved or authorized Mark's work (Church History II.15). To these early Eastern witnesses may be added, from the West, the author of the Muratorian Fragment, which in its first line almost certainly refers to Mark's presence at Peter's discourses and his composition of the Gospel accordingly (Quibus tamen interfuit et ita posuit); Tertullian, who states: "The Gospel which Mark published (edidit is affirmed to be Peter's, whose interpreter Mark was" ("Contra Marc.", IV, v); St. Jerome, who in one place says that Mark wrote a short Gospel at the request of the brethren at Rome, and that Peter authorized it to be read in the Churches ("De Vir. Ill.", viii), and in another that Mark's Gospel was composed, Peter narrating and Mark writing (Petro narrante et illo scribente--"Ad Hedib.", ep. cxx). In every one of these ancient authorities Mark is regarded as the writer of the Gospel, which is looked upon at the same time as having Apostolic authority, because substantially at least it had come from St. Peter. In the light of this traditional connexion of the Gospel with St. Peter, there can be no doubt that it is to it St. Justin Martyr, writing in the middle of the second century, refers (Dialogue with Trypho 106), when he says that Christ gave the title of "Boanerges" to the sons of Zebedee (a fact mentioned in the New Testament only in Mark 3:17), and that this is written in the "memoirs" of Peter (en tois apopnemaneumasin autou--after he had just named Peter). Though St. Justin does not name Mark as the writer of the memoirs, the fact that his disciple Tatian used our present Mark, including even the last twelve verses, in the composition of the "Diatessaron", makes it practically certain that St. Justin knew our present Second Gospel, and like the other Fathers connected it with St. Peter.

Sounds legit to me.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Sounds legit to me.

So which is it?

When I asked you if Mark wrote what Peter told him or did he witness Jesus you said probably some of both.
Now you agree he wrote what Peter told him.

centerpin fan

So which is it?

When I asked you if Mark wrote what Peter told him or did he witness Jesus you said probably some of both.
Now you agree he wrote what Peter told him.

I don't see the two as mutually exclusive. A traditional view is that the young man in Mark 14:51 was Mark himself. Therefore, he had seen Jesus personally. Also, as a disciple of Peter, he would have undoubtedly relied on Peter's recollections.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
No offense because I do enjoy you sharing your thoughts but I am wondering what the facts are and not traditional views.
I have been looking into this for a few days and have been finding all the different views. Taking all those into account I am now digging deeper for the actual facts.
There is info out there saying everything from the traditional view that you shared all the way to having the Gospels ordered written by the church in the 4th century.
I am hoping to find some truth in the middle.

1gr8bldr

Hey Bullet, where can I find the best, most interesting of what you have been looking at. Especially the differences in the oldest text compared to what we have today. I googled a few things... but I need the game highlights, not the whole game. Those first few I looked at were to slow showing the point. LOL, even though I am Christian, LOL, by my deffinition, I find this stuff super interesting

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Hey Bullet, where can I find the best, most interesting of what you have been looking at. Especially the differences in the oldest text compared to what we have today. I googled a few things... but I need the game highlights, not the whole game. Those first few I looked at were to slow showing the point. LOL, even though I am Christian, LOL, by my deffinition, I find this stuff super interesting

So far what I have been doing is using the links I had posted above and have been highlighting some key words and sources listed in those links and doing searches on them. I have not saved any to my bookmarks yet but I am currently doing some reading on http://www.vatileaks.com
There is the website and blog that shares some info that I am sifting through..highlighting..and searching some more.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Start here
http://www.vatileaks.com/_blog/Vati_Leaks/post/What_the_first_Gospels_DIDN'T_say/

Then go down to the sources it lists at bottom of article.

centerpin fan

No offense because I do enjoy you sharing your thoughts but I am wondering what the facts are and not traditional views.
I have been looking into this for a few days and have been finding all the different views. Taking all those into account I am now digging deeper for the actual facts.
There is info out there saying everything from the traditional view that you shared all the way to having the Gospels ordered written by the church in the 4th century.
I am hoping to find some truth in the middle.

So far what I have been doing is using the links I had posted above and have been highlighting some key words and sources listed in those links and doing searches on them. I have not saved any to my bookmarks yet but I am currently doing some reading on http://www.vatileaks.com..
There is the website and blog that shares some info that I am sifting throughhighlighting..and searching some more.

Does a website named "Vati Leaks" sound like it's interested in facts?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Does a website named "Vati Leaks" sound like it's interested in facts?

All of the things that you did not highlight in blue explain my methods...but...just pick what you want instead of reading it all.

Is VatiLeaks interested in facts??
I wouldn't know until I read through it and check the sources it uses and then research those sources to see where they got their information from.
I trust that you refuse to read past the link I posted so I am not sure you know what may be truthful or not.

Maybe you have not figured this out from me just yet but I don't take much at face value. I try to check all the sources and the sources they list as sources in order to see what can be verified. I have what is listed in the Bible. I have what apologetic sources tell me and I have some examples that are a bit extreme going in the opposite direction.
I am not hanging onto the edge of my seat while reading these shocking revelations but I am getting information that allows me take another avenue to check into.

Using Mark as an example I have never found the Bible to point out that earlier versions of Mark may be different than later versions. I have found some sources that show early Mark is different. Now I can use both as examples to research into it more and find out what I can find out about it. It seems that the truth lies somewhere in the middle with not just Mark, but with a bunch of Biblical "facts".
When getting into the hows and whys a clearer picture is had.

History has shown that the "church" isn't exactly the most honest bunch of God's representatives and accurate quotes from church hierarchy tend to lean towards a smidge of misrepresentation regarding the Bible and it's contents. Starting with Constantine and Eusebius.