Covid Antibodies

BriarPatch99

I have questions about the Covid antibodies ... Does anyone have resources that say how long the antibodies provide protection against getting Covid again?I

There are four in my family and three of us got a positive test and got really sick with it .... My Wife was really sick but her test came back negative. She had bloodwork and now have Covid antibodies... Her doctor she was positive she had it before the test ...

So .... is there a need for a vaccine?

Core Lokt

I had it back in August and had blood work results today for something else and I still had the antibodies. Dr. said I was immune to it as long as I had the antibodies. Is he right, I don't know but I sure ain't getting the vaccine.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I had it mid July. About a month ago I tested positive for antibodies.

paulito

He is what the general consensus is. If you have had Covid and have the antibodies, yes you should be good to go. Then came along the finding that some people were getting "re-infected". They don't know why exactly but they are thinking that it is due to a weak/mild immune response to the covid when you had it. My mom always called it getting just a "touch" of the flu. You got sick but you didn't get rocked by it, if that makes sense. So you may have antibodies but instead of a raging army you just have a small platoon. Best analogy i could think of on short notice, sorry.

Long story short, they still recommend that you get the vaccine. This way you are getting a "measured" dose which should activate an equally "measured" immune response. Shouldn't hurt to go ahead and get it. Better safe than sorry.

Mattval

I have questions about the Covid antibodies ... Does anyone have resources that say how long the antibodies provide protection against getting Covid again?I

There are four in my family and three of us got a positive test and got really sick with it .... My Wife was really sick but her test came back negative. She had bloodwork and now have Covid antibodies... Her doctor she was positive she had it before the test ...

So .... is there a need for a vaccine?
You can get it several times

buckpasser

A friend of mine had it in Jan of 2020. He got pretty sick but would still be considered “mild”. He now has it again and is at home fighting it, but says it’s worse this time.

Hillbilly stalker

I asked The nurse who gave me my first test if you could get it twice. She said yes, most people working in their office had . And they wore complete PPE. There are too many uncertainties with this stuff.

Artfuldodger

I doubt they have enough research yet to even give us an average time of immunity. I would guess around 6-12 months but I'm just pulling that from reading.
I was also reading that their might be some type of memory going on that also helps your body deal with viruses if you are exposed again.

I would probably get the vaccine if the virus did me bad the first time. I don't think I'd be as anxious about waiting a bit though as having antibodies would buy you some time to think about it more.

BriarPatch99

Went to my doctor today( yeah the good looking one) ...

My wife got her antibodies test back and We played a visit to see what we should do about the vaccine ....

She took the vaccine and got really sick after taking it ... they did the antibodies test and sure enough she had had the Covid before despite testing negative several times..

She advised us not to take the vaccine until our antibodies were gone ... I am testing for antibodies the end of February ... My Wife will retest the end April....

So right the vaccine is on hold for us...

GeorgiaBob

This coronavirus - SARS-CoV19 or Covid19 - is beginning to behave like most coronaviruses according to many qualified researchers not affiliated with NIH or CDC. What that means is, the virus now appears to be mutating as quickly as the average cold virus. If you had Covid19 you will not get that same strain again. It is possible that you will get a later mutation - BUT - and this is a big deal - but - because you have antibodies from your infection with the earlier version your immune system will handle the next Covid19 cold better (probably MUSH better).

All the politics and conspiracies aside, the main reason Covid19 is more dangerous than any other recent cold virus is that it is both "new" (first time infecting humans) and spreads rapidly. Other new ("novel") cold viruses are just as deadly when they infect people with compromised immune systems who have never been exposed to the virus, but usually novel viruses do not spread easily. For the viruses that have been around a while, but do spread easily, almost everybody has already been exposed to some version of the virus and a "re"infection means just the sniffles and a couple of days discomfort.

Antibodies are very effective against reinfection by the same strain, and still provide some protection against a mutated version. You might get sick, but most likely the next time will be very minor. Over time, repeated reinfection helps you body develop broad spectrum antibodies that recognize even a new version of the old virus.

The above is a very abbreviated synopsis of about a dozen medical reports, projections and med journal stories I read over the past 90 days. All of them were from overseas sources, some in the EU, several from Australia and NZ, and one from Hong Kong. (No, I didn't keep the URLs for the reports.)

Mattval

Went to my doctor today( yeah the good looking one) ...

My wife got her antibodies test back and We played a visit to see what we should do about the vaccine ....

She took the vaccine and got really sick after taking it ... they did the antibodies test and sure enough she had had the Covid before despite testing negative several times..

She advised us not to take the vaccine until our antibodies were gone ... I am testing for antibodies the end of February ... My Wife will retest the end April....

So right the vaccine is on hold for us...
Crap I did not know that. Ain't the vaccine now

BriarPatch99

I needed to clarify this ....

"She( the Doctor)took the vaccine and got really sick after taking it ... they did the antibodies test and sure enough she had had the Covid before despite testing negative several times.." Same thing happened to her sister who works in the hospital.

My Son and I will test for antibodies sometime in February .... If we still do have antibodies ...we are advised not to take vaccine until antibodies are not present in blood. Daughter is getting tested Monday in Louisville KY.

The Wife test was positive for antibodies .... they will retest in 3 months...

Doctor advised none of the four of us to get the vaccine ....

Last edited:

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Three of my co-workers that were COVID positive, were told they would have antibodies for 3 months. I have no idea if that’s 100% accurate or not.

tad1

How long do native antibodies last? They don’t know. Some thinking around 3 months.
How long does the vaccine provide protection? They don’t know. Vaccine companies saying up to 2 yrs.
Yes, people can get reinfected. I do know a couple personally that tested positive twice.
One of the questions that I was asked on my pre-vaccine survey, before both doses was whether or not I had tested positive for antibodies. Not whether or not I had tested positive for Covid. I’m not sure if responding that you did test positive for antibodies would make you non-eligible for the vaccine. But I do believe that it would, Likely just because there’s limited vaccine available and they want to vaccinate people that are higher priority. I’d still have to recommend people get the vaccine if they are eligible, even if they have or likely have natural antibodies. This is especially true for people who had a particularly rough bout with Covid.

tad1

Briar, glad you’re getting some regular testing for antibodies, that does give a little bit of confidence you’re got some protection. I do wonder though if a positive antibody test can be quantitative for level, or just plus or minus. One of my docs (who had COVID) is getting antibody tested, I think for donating convalescent plasma, and he mentioned that his results are just a yes or no. At some point the natural antibody protection will diminish. If I had a particularly rough go with Covid, I would certainly be considering vaccination. Hopefully we’ll get some more data on this and vaccine availability in the upcoming months.
JT

BriarPatch99

Briar, glad you’re getting some regular testing for antibodies, that does give a little bit of confidence you’re got some protection. I do wonder though if a positive antibody test can be quantitative for level, or just plus or minus. One of my docs (who had COVID) is getting antibody tested, I think for donating convalescent plasma, and he mentioned that his results are just a yes or no. At some point the natural antibody protection will diminish. If I had a particularly rough go with Covid, I would certainly be considering vaccination. Hopefully we’ll get some more data on this and vaccine availability in the upcoming months.
JT

I ask my doctor if the antibodies test give a level like 1-10 ....she said only positive or negative ....

She did say that the people(Infectious disease experts) say that folks like me that got a stronger case of Covid would also be more likely to have antibodies over someone who barely or may not even knew they had Covid... Would ....

She did say some folks who got a positive Covid test ....we're not developing antibodies at all ....

Like I said my daughter is getting tested Monday and my Son and I are getting tested first next month... Wife just got her test back(positive) ....

I really don't think anyone knows what is what ....and probably won't for sometime ...

StriperAddict

Wife and I had CV test only 2 weeks ago, negative. One year ago in Dec a 4 day "flu" beat me up bad, worst in 30+ years. With some news saying Covid was here earlier than Jan/Feb. it's possible I had it. (?)

We haven't gotten an antibody test but may be it's time. Just no vaccine. My wife got hydroxychloroquine for her arthritis this week and I'm glad that the data still shows it's a good med for the rona.