Danner Snake Boots

ssramage

Just a heads up for anyone needing a new pair of snake boots for this season. Danner is running some pretty deep discounts on their site right now. My Pronghorns finally gave it in last season so I've been looking for another pair. I ran some Alpha rubber snake boots during deer season, but they won't hold up to the walking that I do during turkey season.

I just picked up a pair of the Danner Vitals for $132 and free shipping. Their Pronghorn side zip is $186 but has some lead times.

https://www.danner.com/men/sale?sortId=subcategory&product_category[]=7170

SwampMoss

I tried 2 pair of the pronghorn and they cut into my ankles really bad. I sent both of them back. If you can wear them that is an awesome price. Thanks for the heads up. I may give the vitals a try.

Dupree

I have the vitals. They are one of the better feeling snake boots I have had, but they leak.

bowhunterdavid

I really like Danner snake boots, but i discovered Turtle Skin snake gaiters last year i really like them. They only weigh ounces and very comfortable. I just wear a good pair of hiking boots with them. After getting hit by a pygmy rattle snake and spending two nights in ICU two years ago i don't leave home without them in warm weather. If you are hunting a wet area your rubber boots will go over them.

florida boy

I bought a pair of Danner sharptails last year . They didnt last 6 months before the liners came out of both boots......

ssramage

I tried 2 pair of the pronghorn and they cut into my ankles really bad. I sent both of them back. If you can wear them that is an awesome price. Thanks for the heads up. I may give the vitals a try.

My pronghorns did the same for the first season. Once the leather on the angle softened up some through use, they were good to go. I eventually put a ton of miles on them but had my concerns at first too.

I have the vitals. They are one of the better feeling snake boots I have had, but they leak.

I have a pair of the low top, non snake proof vitals and have always liked them. Good to know about leaking. If I'm in the swamp I'll opt for my Alpha snakes.

I really like Danner snake boots, but i discovered Turtle Skin snake gaiters last year i really like them. They only weigh ounces and very comfortable. I just wear a good pair of hiking boots with them. After getting hit by a pygmy rattle snake and spending two nights in ICU two years ago i don't leave home without them in warm weather. If you are hunting a wet area your rubber boots will go over them.

I thought a lot about the snake skins this year and almost went that route but couldn't find any in stock so I went with the Danners instead. They look good though.

dslc6487

Changed to the Turtle Skin gaiters several years ago from the snake proof boots.
Would not go back. The gaiters are much, much lighter. Great choice, especially if you are looking for a safer alternative than the heave snake boots...

TomC

I've got a pair of the Turtle Skins but they aren't going to help if you get hit in the front of the foot. Is there a pair of comfortable hiking boots or other boots to wear with the Turtle Skins that will protect the front part of your foot??? Otherwise I'm back to snake boots!

killerv

What happens when the snake gets you on top of the foot, gaiters arent going to do anything for that. When I got struck, thats exactly where he got me.

killerv

I got 5 years out of my pronghorns, very comfortable, they are finally leaking good and the liner wont stay in so will be retired this season.

TomC

What happens when the snake gets you on top of the foot, gaiters arent going to do anything for that. When I got struck, thats exactly where he got me.

Yep, I like my Turtle Skins just need to find some sort of halfway comfortable boot to wear with them that will protects the front of my foot. Until I find that boot my Turtle Skins will gather dust!

killerv

Yep, I like my Turtle Skins just need to find some sort of halfway comfortable boot to wear with them that will protects the front of my foot. Until I find that boot my Turtle Skins will gather dust!

I was by myself, 800 yards from truck, 45 min from nearest medical whatever when big timber got me on top of foot, I knew what it was as soon as he hit, I looked down and there he was. Needless to say that ended that hunt. Thank goodness for snake boots. I literally picked up a deer shed right before I stepped on him. Glad he didn't pop me on the hand. He was camoed good in the leaves.

bowhunterdavid

They actually cover the top of your foot, Look them up on line and you will see. My hospital bill was over 180000 thousand dollars from my snake bit, i WOULD NOT WEAR THEM IF I THOUGHT THEY WERE NOT SAFE.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They actually cover the top of your foot, Look them up on line and you will see. My hospital bill was over 180000 thousand dollars from my snake bit, i WOULD NOT WEAR THEM IF I THOUGHT THEY WERE NOT SAFE.

I`m in full agreement with you on that.

killerv

I did, just did it again, the turtle skin chaps I pulled up do not cover top of foot, just sides of boots.

Hillbilly stalker

My turtle skins have about a 2 inch flap going into the instep. The top of the foot is wide open. You might wanna read their warranty real close like. Crackshot is the only gaiter that offers a guarantee backed with a $1 million dollar policy.

bowhunterdavid

My turtle skins have about a 2 inch flap going into the instep. The top of the foot is wide open. You might wanna read their warranty real close like. Crackshot is the only gaiter that offers a guarantee backed with a $1 million dollar policy.
Yea its a small flap about two are three inches long, i feel safe in them but if i get bit again i wont be here to tell about it anyway ill die of a heart attack.