Deer & Turkey Hunting Vehicle (UTV) Recommendations

Tight Lines

OK I need some recommendations from folks.

I did a ton of research and bought an EZ GO Express 4x4 electric early in 2020. It finally came in October, and before the end of November we had totaled it. Long story for another time. I really liked it and I think they are amazing carts with enormous power. However, I think I've also realized that they are just too top heavy and powerful for their wheelbase, and I'm not the only one who has tipped one over. So rather than replace it, I am looking at other options again that I think will be safer.

I also think I am going gas this time, because the benefits just outweigh the cons where I hunt for the most part. But I could be swayed. Gas can do more with putting in food plots etc. than electric and I'm just not sure that the deer and turkeys care that much about the noise and smell of a vehicle when there are already vehicles all around them.

I am looking at an UTV that holds 3-5 passengers including:

- Honda Pioneer 1000-5 - top of the line machine, quiet, Honda
- Cushman Hauler Diesel 4x4 - rugged, diesel, noisy but great little UTV

I had also looked at the HuntVe electric hybrids before buying the Express 4x4.

I'm of the mindset buy once, cry once and this will probably be the last one I buy...

What other hunting UTV do you guys like and recommend?

Thanks in advance for the advice...

Last edited:

JROESEL

I’ve got several Polaris, some have over 1000 hrs and have never had a problem, if you hurry you can get some end of the year rebates and deals, I bought a 6 seater ranger At the end of the year last year, got a heck of a deal, look online and shop the model you decide on, there’s a lot of people hungry right now, so be ready to bargain, and you might be surprised at what you can get, for the amount of money

Tight Lines

I’ve got several Polaris, some have over 1000 hrs and have never had a problem, if you hurry you can get some end of the year rebates and deals, I bought a 6 seater ranger At the end of the year last year, got a heck of a deal, look online and shop the model you decide on, there’s a lot of people hungry right now, so be ready to bargain, and you might be surprised at what you can get, for the amount of money

Thank you!

aabradley82

I’ve got an old mule 550 that rides fine but I don’t think I’d pull heavy with it. I think it’s around a 2003 model with over 3k hours.
If you want one to be a workhorse the Kubota is a beast. It’ll pull a plotmaster with ease. It’s amazing some of the places you can go in one between 4x4 and a locking rear

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
When you say hunting nothing about a gas unit comes to mind. My buddy just bought a Kawasaki Mule that has front and back seats with extended bed into backseat area. This thing has a 3 cylinder car motor in it and is the quietest of all utv models I've seen such as Honda and Polaris. The suspension is unreal on this unit as well. If I were going to buy gas that would be it. Will do any work you need to do. As far as a hunting unit I would go with Ezgo RXV electric cart. Just my preference after owning one for 6 years now.

Here is the Mule he has.
https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/side...=MPP-_-MULEPRO-FXT™:MODELS-_-VIEWSPECSDETAILS

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I have a Pioneer 700-2 that does everything I could ever want, but it is loud. The Pioneer 1000 is said to be much much quieter.

Bubba just bought a Polaris 1000 to replace the Polaris 500s that we've had over the years and it is MUCH quieter than my 700 and much quieter than the older Polaris' that we've had.

I like the ride of my Pioneer over the Polaris, but again it's loud. Very loud comparatively. I am considering selling the 700 just because of how loud it is. I am not a dummy that thinks the deer care much either way, but it is annoyingly loud when in 1st gear and going up a hill or just before changing to 2nd.

Away

I have the Kubota RTV. It's loud but I only drive it the head of trails and walk a good distance from it. My issue with it is that I didn't get independent suspension. That will be my focus going forward. Some of our trails will leave you with headache.

aabradley82

I have the Kubota RTV. It's loud but I only drive it the head of trails and walk a good distance from it. My issue with it is that I didn't get independent suspension. That will be my focus going forward. Some of our trails will leave you with headache.
The independent sure rides better than straight axles. Not sure if it’s as tough. Not saying it is or isn’t, but it more parts

Away

Yea it's probably not as tough. But I'm not sure I care anymore honestly. My kidneys took a good beating this year!

Otherwise the Kubota is a decent buy. Not too expensive and does about all you would need it too.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I like the Honda. I have used a few. It will be what I purchase. I also like that it is a gear driven transmission and you can get a shiftable transmission.

georgiadawgs44

My buddy at deer camp has a Polaris 700 he bought in 2017. That thing is awesome. I don’t think you can get it stuck. It sure has made life a lot easier at camp.

buckpasser

Really I’m a fan of a Mule for durability, or a gas Ranger for quiet and comfort. I haven’t personally seen an electric vehicle that was really all that great long term, especially an electric ranger. I use an old diesel Mule for work everyday and it’s really a winner.

Tight Lines

When you say hunting nothing about a gas unit comes to mind. My buddy just bought a Kawasaki Mule that has front and back seats with extended bed into backseat area. This thing has a 3 cylinder car motor in it and is the quietest of all utv models I've seen such as Honda and Polaris. The suspension is unreal on this unit as well. If I were going to buy gas that would be it. Will do any work you need to do. As far as a hunting unit I would go with Ezgo RXV electric cart. Just my preference after owning one for 6 years now.

Here is the Mule he has.
https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/side-x-side/mule/3-to-6-passenger/mule-pro-fxt/2021-mule-pro-fxt?cm_re=MPP-_-MULEPRO-FXT™:MODELS-_-VIEWSPECSDETAILS

Yeah I like the concept of electric and if I could have 2 I'd have both...after buying the electric, which I loved, I do think a gas unit is more versatile...you only use electric for hunting?

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Yeah I like the concept of electric and if I could have 2 I'd have both...after buying the electric, which I loved, I do think a gas unit is more versatile...you only use electric for hunting?
Yes my electric cart is only thing I use during the hunting season. During the off season is only time I use the gas 4 wheeler to get any work that needs to be done.

Buford_Dawg

Bought a Polaris Ranger 500 2 seasons ago to replace a 48v Electric RXV cart, I love the ride and speed, but it is louder than electric for sure. Not a stealth vehicle, gotta go electric for that. The Ranger serves my purpose, I just park several hundred yards or more away from my hunt areas.