Defective Family Tradition DD-14 ladder stand

Just a warning for Family Tradition Ladder-stand hunters.I bought two DD-14 double ladder - stands. I bought them for extra room and weight capacity. I weigh 275 pounds well bellow the 400 pound advertised weight capacity. My third trip up the two welds broke opposite each other middle rung.Luckily i did not fall. Could have been bad for 55 year old fat guy. Sent pictures to Family tradition got response from Jack Turner they do not have written watrranty. Definetly faulty welds I have not had any issues with other stand and have hunted in it 6-8 times. These are expensive stands ALL the hunting celebrities praise them . I guess thats why Jack Turner don’t have to worry about customer service. If you have one check it out would hate to see anyone get hirt. I will try to attach pictures.E78D959F-1889-410D-9017-643240165F2E.jpeg2A0F441A-2808-482F-91AF-CE324A09FB19.jpeg57B48570-3BED-4C1C-9188-0E5A90DCADBD.jpeg96ECE65B-C511-4706-A39A-87C8EC94A616.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Wow…glad you’re safe.

Man hate to hear that. Always thought they were quality built stands. They maybe be if their customer service isn’t any better than that I wouldn’t want one. Glad your alright

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Just a warning for Family Tradition Ladder-stand hunters.I bought two DD-14 double ladder - stands. I bought them for extra room and weight capacity. I weigh 275 pounds well bellow the 400 pound advertised weight capacity. My third trip up the two welds broke opposite each other middle rung.Luckily i did not fall. Could have been bad for 55 year old fat guy. Sent pictures to Family tradition got response from Jack Turner they do not have written watrranty. Definetly faulty welds I have not had any issues with other stand and have hunted in it 6-8 times. These are expensive stands ALL the hunting celebrities praise them . I guess thats why Jack Turner don’t have to worry about customer service. If you have one check it out would hate to see anyone get hirt. I will try to attach pictures.View attachment 1195788View attachment 1195789View attachment 1195790View attachment 1195791
Glad you're ok. So they wouldn't do anything to make it right?

uturn

I’ve had those same stands for more than 15 yrs a field and also had that happen to 1 of them…it had been out for about 7 yrs at that point!

i still have 6/7 I’d love to get the seat material and redo…glad you’re ok..hate to hear bout poor customer service..nothing with either, the service or the customer!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
One thing I noticed is the tree is to little it seems. With wind it may of stressed the stand beyond its limits.
Just a simple observation.
Glad your ok.

I’ve had those same stands for more than 15 yrs a field and also had that happen to 1 of them…it had been out for about 7 yrs at that point!

i still have 6/7 I’d love to get the seat material and redo…glad you’re ok..hate to hear bout poor customer service..nothing with either, the service or the customer!
This one was installed in July of 2022 . But i will check my Hawk its been out a couple years thanks.

This is about the third thread I've seen this year about a stand breaking in some way. Maybe these companies are trying to cut too many corners.

Wear your safety harness!
Yeah but they sure have not got any cheaper matter a fact these are more expensive than others I bought in past. Th here still working good Hawk is the brand.

GT90

Glad you are OK. Was the ratchet strap in the pics attached from the rung it is wrapped around to the tree? If so maybe if tightened too much, created excess pressure, and along with your weight snapped the rails. Both breaks are just above that rung. I have been known to tighten that strap to the point of the ladder bowing toward the tree to gain that "sturdy" feel. Probably not the right thing to do. Again, glad you are OK.

uturn

This is about the third thread I've seen this year about a stand breaking in some way. Maybe these companies are trying to cut too many corners.

Wear your safety harness!
Possibly…as I stated in an earlier thread I’ve now got a lifeline on every stand even those Family Traditions I’ve got leaned up…just no reason not to…it’s just too dang easy and plain foolish!!

Clip in and Enjoy!

buckpasser

Glad you are OK. Was the ratchet strap in the pics attached from the rung it is wrapped around to the tree? If so maybe if tightened too much, created excess pressure, and along with your weight snapped the rails. Both breaks are just above that rung. I have been known to tighten that strap to the point of the ladder bowing toward the tree to gain that "sturdy" feel. Probably not the right thing to do. Again, glad you are OK.

That does seem likely to be the case. A big strap could put a pile of pressure on that spot.

uturn

One thing I noticed is the tree is to little it seems. With wind it may of stressed the stand beyond its limits.
Just a simple observation.
Glad your ok.
I believe this is what made mine break…along with as mentioned I’ve been known to tighten thing with an Herculean effort which is not always good!

Blackston

Looks like it broke above weld ? Was the vertical pipe spliced / butted together and welded or was it one whole piece ? ….. it needs to be one whole piece in my opinion

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I believe this is what made mine break…along with as mentioned I’ve been known to tighten thing with an Herculean effort which is not always good!
Wind blowing it back and forth is a lot of pressure. Bending in the middle back and forth over and over.
Seen it before. Anyway go thing no one got hurt.

Meriwether Mike

The two breaks are at the same point within the tubing itself; not at the weld. The fact that both broke at a common point would indicate overstressing. I think that movement by the tree; hit on by others; could have been the culprit.

Latest posts