Defective Family Tradition DD-14 ladder stand

DAVE

As already mentioned wind will destroy a ladder stand hung on a skinny tree especially a pine, I have seen it several times. It doesn't matter who makes the stand or how much it cost, any can fail at any time. I once had a tree lounge foot part break as I was lifting top part, I fell until the safety strap caught. Took stand to Tree Lounge facility in Cumming when they were still in business thinking they would replace but instead they just repaired the weld.

Glad you are OK. Was the ratchet strap in the pics attached from the rung it is wrapped around to the tree? If so maybe if tightened too much, created excess pressure, and along with your weight snapped the rails. Both breaks are just above that rung. I have been known to tighten that strap to the point of the ladder bowing toward the tree to gain that "sturdy" feel. Probably not the right thing to do. Again, glad you are OK. No it was not attached it was only thing I had to on UTV to tie to top to lower down once my Son climbed up woth climber to unbuckle the top.

That’s good to hear. You never know what happened may have been a combination of things weak points in metal over tighten strap and flexed with with smaller pine etc. to many variables to say what caused it. A company of that caliber surprised me that didn’t just replace the part themselves. Reputation image and product durability and market value far outweighs that little part wether they were liable to or not. Look at how much bad advertising came from just this post and how that now is gonna be spread all over with google and people researching those stands… poor marketing on their part
I have bought lot of hunting equipment from dealer Webster Farm Supply they have good customer service. Maybe they can get it replaced through manufacture. They have more pull than me.

buckpasser

I showed a friend of mine this thread today who has several of these. He said it’s no wonder the stand broke as they aren’t designed to have a strap put around them like a typical ladder. He said that’s the point of the double tubing. Not sure if that’s true, but makes sense to me. Just strap the top.

There was no strap on bottom that only in picture because we used it to lower top of stand down when we took top strap off to remove stand . Son used his climbing to unlatch top strap only thing i could find on UTV. The stands were installed per directions no strap was provided for bottom of either stand.

No problem with the other one I bought same time . I upgraded from Hawk 1.5 stands I know they are very comfortable and roomy may just been bad one .Just check for cracks before climbing up .

Jim Boyd

I have broken many stands

- too small a tree
- big wind storms
- bound too tightly to tree
- bound to tree in wrong manner

I have seriously misshapen many stands for the same reasons.

Several Millenniums I took apart and straightened them out in the press.

Be safe and be careful

RatherB

BANNED
If I owned that company and somebody showed me picture of a broke stand I made, I would have sent him a free stand and a sincere apology along with a promise that the quality control department will look into it to make sure it never happens again.

You did the right thing by posting online. There’s no reason, strap or wind or otherwise that an American made product like that should break so easily.

I’ll be sure to never buy one. I’ve been hunting out of same ladder stands I bought at Walmart over a decade ago.

Evergreen

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
I'm curious if no written warranty means they didn't receive the warranty information after the stand was purchased, meaning they had no idea how old of a stand it was, or if there is just no warranty offered at all on those stands. Glad no one was hurt

uturn

I have a very good relationship with a dealer near me…have known him for 30 yrs, he’s the guy I‘ve bought all mine from over the years!

I will contact him and chat with him on it…I‘ve also had a chance to meet and chat with the salesman who covers all of the south east…if I remember the stands are made in Alabama?

Both are very fine gentlemen…will follow up with whatever feedback I get!

As mentione, I really believe mine broke in the same location because of the tree it was attached to and movement during a storm…or 3!

I have a very good relationship with a dealer near me…have known him for 30 yrs, he’s the guy I‘ve bought all mine from over the years!

I will contact him and chat with him on it…I‘ve also had a chance to meet and chat with the salesman who covers all of the south east…if I remember the stands are made in Alabama?

Both are very fine gentlemen…will follow up with whatever feedback I get!

As mentione, I really believe mine broke in the same location because of the tree it was attached to and movement during a storm…or 3!
Be interesting to hear