Defective Family Tradition DD-14 ladder stand

bany

Of most interest to me is why the guy didn’t suggest returning it to your vendor and replacing that section. That may be happening quietly behind the scene.
Lots of good thoughts here. Looks like it broke at the weld which might imply hardening to a brittle point. That’s a substantial weld. With supply issues and the like from the last couple years a fella might consider the quality of materials too.
Glad you didn’t get hurt and now it’s fairly well documented.

sghoghunter

Like everyone else has said I’m glad no one was hurt but I am curious about one thing? Why does the leg look real close to where it suppose to be in one picture then in another it’s a couple inches away?

Attachments

• 2465DC93-3502-46ED-B314-63991031C770.png
    2465DC93-3502-46ED-B314-63991031C770.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 859AE59F-45FE-4D08-AD33-8F714E76177B.png
    859AE59F-45FE-4D08-AD33-8F714E76177B.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 28
Ladder has bowed out away from it. Either through climbing up it or wind blowing the tree bending it away from it

I've always taken online content (reviews?) with a grain of salt assuming there's two sides and this is a perfect example.

We haven't changed a thing since I purchased the company 13 years ago. I take that back, if anything we've improved such things as the strength of our ratchet straps, adding extra support here and there etc. Little things that improve the quality. We've taken no steps backward, none whatsoever.

The very first thing I did Tuesday morning was call the local dealer and make arrangements to get the part shipped down there. Then, later, I opened my email to find that said customer doubled down. If nothing else he's a man of his word...and here we are on social media after I'd actually taken care of this.

The only regret I have is letting my emotion get to me and not telling him, in that first email, that I'm glad nothing bad happened. Although I had that in my brain I didn't actually write it. I will endeavor to do better in the future. Without further comment I've copied/pasted the correspondence for your inspection, I'm out.

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2022 1:04 PM
To: Info@familytraditiontreestands.com
Subject: Defective DD14 – DOUBLE SEAT LADDERSTAND

I bought two DD 14 at the beginning of deer season from Webster Farm Supply & Hardware in Webster Florida. I chose these stands for weight capacity and room . I weigh 275 pounds far below advertised 400 pound limit. They were both installed per instructions. On my third trip up one of the stands the ladder two welds broke opposite same rung middle section as seen in pictures attached . I have not had any issues with other stand but i am reluctant to use since this on broke no warning. I thought I would give your business a chance to rectify before I start blasting on social media and hunting forums pictures and warnings about the dangers of using your products . I would like the middle sections replaced , Please send to ************. I look forward to hearing from you soon my number is ********* or by email of your response.

On Dec 12, 2022, at 5:36 PM, Jack Turner <jack@familytraditiontreestands.com> wrote:

That’s a pretty aggressive opening salvo Richard, threatening to blast social media with negative information if your demands aren’t met. I’d much rather have gotten an email with something more like “I’ve got an issue and I hope you can help me”. For future reference it really is that simple. We don’t have a written warranty policy in part so that I can just work with folks to get a good resolution in the rare instances when it’s necessary.

I’ll be in touch with Webster’s tomorrow regarding this matter, we’ll go from there.

Thanks,

Jack Turner
Managing Partner
Family Tradition Treestands

Sent: Monday, December 12, 2022 7:02 PM
To: Jack Turner
Subject: Re: Defective DD14 - DOUBLE SEAT LADDERSTAND

Well you weren’t the one who almost got seriously hurt from a fall from a defective welds. So if you want something candy coated after spending that much money on your product you live in a delusional utopia.
I unfortunately am not one of these politically correct snowflakes this world has turned too. I am also not someone who just does not give a company a chance to make it right . I certainty don't want to see consumers get hurt from defective products. Looks like you made your decision fine by me. Didn’t see any mention in your email about glad I wasn’t injured hope the second one holds up when I climb up in it. Thanks for email I take it from here.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 13, 2022, at 10:27AM, Jack Turner <jack@familytraditiontreestands.com> wrote:

Dang dude, my intent wasn’t to rile you up even more! I’m sure we’re actually two peas in a pod when it comes to the snowflake gig. In fact that’s probably why I didn’t take your aggressive approach well, I’m guessing you wouldn’t take it well either if you were on the other end. Sorry about that, I could’ve handled it differently, I’m just not used to that approach. That being said I just wanted you to know there are actually some good companies out there who take care of customers, perhaps coming out with both barrels firing doesn’t have to be the way. That’s all, nothing more to read into it.

And yes, I’m obviously glad nothing bad happened to you and yours. Don’t want anything bad happening to a fellow outdoorsman, for any reason!

We had phone/email issues all day yesterday and I wasn’t able to do squat till the end of the day. By that time my contact at Webster’s was gone, I actually did try to get this handled last night. I just talked to him and we’ve got this figured out to get you taken care of, he’ll be calling to make arrangements.

Thanks,

Jack Turner
Managing Partner

As Paul Harvey would say now the rest of the story..

I had a suspicion we wasn’t getting the whole deal here and in fact I’m rather disappointed with the OP that in some ways he mislead folks here. His intentions was to rally the troups and use this forum as his platform to do so. That don’t set well with me. I noticed he was a new member and thought hmm first thing he posted here was this. Didnt come on here to join in a heck of a forum and share and learn with folks his sole intention was to blast family traditions. Shame on you sir for doing that..

I hope you stay around @Jack Turner . Would be nice to have someone from a manufacturing platform to offer advice and get feedback from folks here to improve your product with hunters. Aslong as you don’t promote or advertise in the forum. Thanks for clarifying this for us

Last edited:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I personally have found out dealing with all types of companies over the years that just because I have a problem and want it fixed to my satisfaction in my timeliness is not a reason to go social media .
Glad the owner came on the forum to tell his side of the story.
I bet the OP is a FL Gators fan also. :rofl: ::ke: :bounce:

uturn

Welp that about covers it!

No need to go any further with what my local guy said…other than that would never happen with either of the owners the old or new!

I was fairly confident of that prior to making the call…now to gettin me some extensions and a bunch of webbing for the seats on the old timers I have..wish a had a bunch of the ladders bout the best there is!

Here‘s to you Jack Turner!

Welp that about covers it!

No need to go any further with what my local guy said…other than that would never happen with either of the owners the old or new!

I was fairly confident of that prior to making the call…now to gettin me some extensions and a bunch of webbing for the seats on the old timers I have..wish a had a bunch of the ladders bout the best there is!

I sure do like the looks of that quad pod with roof.. I just ain’t crazy about that round tubbing stuff and it’s hard for me to justify that kinda money. That’s a me thing sure it’s fine and not knocking family traditions in no way

Jester896

Senior Clown

I purchased webbing to try and redo one of mine. The webbing has a good deal of tension that you may not be able to achieve. It really isn't like the old lawn chairs after all. I will be happy to send you what I have if I can find it to try.

Their suggestion to me was to replace the entire seat frame and it was a good one. I just got lucky and the dealer had one from another stand that was damaged in shipment and I was able to get that one much cheaper.

uturn

I purchased webbing to try and redo one of mine. The webbing has a good deal of tension that you may not be able to achieve. It really isn't like the old lawn chairs after all. I will be happy to send you what I have if I can find it to try.

Their suggestion to me was to replace the entire seat frame and it was a good one. I just got lucky and the dealer had one from another stand that was damaged in shipment and I was able to get that one much cheaper.
I like that idea! Thanks man

Triple C

I've always taken online content (reviews?) with a grain of salt assuming there's two sides and this is a perfect example.

We haven't changed a thing since I purchased the company 13 years ago. I take that back, if anything we've improved such things as the strength of our ratchet straps, adding extra support here and there etc. Little things that improve the quality. We've taken no steps backward, none whatsoever.

The very first thing I did Tuesday morning was call the local dealer and make arrangements to get the part shipped down there. Then, later, I opened my email to find that said customer doubled down. If nothing else he's a man of his word...and here we are on social media after I'd actually taken care of this.

The only regret I have is letting my emotion get to me and not telling him, in that first email, that I'm glad nothing bad happened. Although I had that in my brain I didn't actually write it. I will endeavor to do better in the future. Without further comment I've copied/pasted the correspondence for your inspection, I'm out.

Sent: Sunday, December 11, 2022 1:04 PM
To: Info@familytraditiontreestands.com
Subject: Defective DD14 – DOUBLE SEAT LADDERSTAND

I bought two DD 14 at the beginning of deer season from Webster Farm Supply & Hardware in Webster Florida. I chose these stands for weight capacity and room . I weigh 275 pounds far below advertised 400 pound limit. They were both installed per instructions. On my third trip up one of the stands the ladder two welds broke opposite same rung middle section as seen in pictures attached . I have not had any issues with other stand but i am reluctant to use since this on broke no warning. I thought I would give your business a chance to rectify before I start blasting on social media and hunting forums pictures and warnings about the dangers of using your products . I would like the middle sections replaced , Please send to ************. I look forward to hearing from you soon my number is ********* or by email of your response.

On Dec 12, 2022, at 5:36 PM, Jack Turner <jack@familytraditiontreestands.com> wrote:

That’s a pretty aggressive opening salvo Richard, threatening to blast social media with negative information if your demands aren’t met. I’d much rather have gotten an email with something more like “I’ve got an issue and I hope you can help me”. For future reference it really is that simple. We don’t have a written warranty policy in part so that I can just work with folks to get a good resolution in the rare instances when it’s necessary.

I’ll be in touch with Webster’s tomorrow regarding this matter, we’ll go from there.

Thanks,

Jack Turner
Managing Partner

Sent: Monday, December 12, 2022 7:02 PM
To: Jack Turner
Subject: Re: Defective DD14 - DOUBLE SEAT LADDERSTAND

Well you weren’t the one who almost got seriously hurt from a fall from a defective welds. So if you want something candy coated after spending that much money on your product you live in a delusional utopia.
I unfortunately am not one of these politically correct snowflakes this world has turned too. I am also not someone who just does not give a company a chance to make it right . I certainty don't want to see consumers get hurt from defective products. Looks like you made your decision fine by me. Didn’t see any mention in your email about glad I wasn’t injured hope the second one holds up when I climb up in it. Thanks for email I take it from here.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 13, 2022, at 10:27AM, Jack Turner <jack@familytraditiontreestands.com> wrote:

Dang dude, my intent wasn’t to rile you up even more! I’m sure we’re actually two peas in a pod when it comes to the snowflake gig. In fact that’s probably why I didn’t take your aggressive approach well, I’m guessing you wouldn’t take it well either if you were on the other end. Sorry about that, I could’ve handled it differently, I’m just not used to that approach. That being said I just wanted you to know there are actually some good companies out there who take care of customers, perhaps coming out with both barrels firing doesn’t have to be the way. That’s all, nothing more to read into it.

And yes, I’m obviously glad nothing bad happened to you and yours. Don’t want anything bad happening to a fellow outdoorsman, for any reason!

We had phone/email issues all day yesterday and I wasn’t able to do squat till the end of the day. By that time my contact at Webster’s was gone, I actually did try to get this handled last night. I just talked to him and we’ve got this figured out to get you taken care of, he’ll be calling to make arrangements.

Thanks,

Jack Turner
Managing Partner
Jack...Like the way you roll. Rock on Family Tradition Treestands!!!

uturn

Thought I’d follow up…as luck would have it, I got the call last week my landowner had beyond timber harvest on my lease so up I went to pull everything I could and found some I had forgotten about over the years so…here‘s to the quality of the family tradition (2) had been out 16 yrs and (1) 7 yrs on the 1st run and 6 yrs on it‘s last location hoping my son would come back up for a gun hunt someday!59B7A8AC-AFBB-46A1-B355-120C70FD2FEE.jpegED9A46A0-B9A8-4946-AEAD-8764012104F1.jpegHere‘s to ya Jack Turner!!!

Blackston

Thought I’d follow up…as luck would have it, I got the call last week my landowner had beyond timber harvest on my lease so up I went to pull everything I could and found some I had forgotten about over the years so…here‘s to the quality of the family tradition (2) had been out 16 yrs and (1) 7 yrs on the 1st run and 6 yrs on it‘s last location hoping my son would come back up for a gun hunt someday!View attachment 1204665View attachment 1204666Here‘s to ya Jack Turner!!!
Good lookin truck ( I bet she’ll go anywhere) …. I’ve sat a few family traditions and they are awesome!!!