Did I catch a monster white bass?

Burton

Or is this a hybrid? Sometimes I'm not paying attention, but this fish looked different from the other fish we were catching.

Thinking it could potentially be a white bass, I did an estimate on the length based on my hand.

I think this fish was 24-25 inches based on that math.

What do you think?

001.png

Burton

I'm no expert but looks like a hybrid
Probably so. The mouth and the shape of the fish just wasn't the same as a lot of the other fish we were catching I assumed to be hybrids. I just saw that the white bass generally only have 1 line going all the way to the tail and this one has lines that favor a hybrid.

hopper

Probably so. The mouth and the shape of the fish just wasn't the same as a lot of the other fish we were catching I assumed to be hybrids. I just saw that the white bass generally only have 1 line going all the way to the tail and this one has lines that favor a hybrid.
Correct on the multiple lines hitting the tail. I just read that myself. Definitely good to know. Nice fish.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Colored up and shaped like a hybrid bass.

tr21

I'm pretty dang sure thats either a striper or a hybrid but it's hard to tell not being able to see the lateral lines because of the shine.

Burton

I'm pretty dang sure thats either a striper or a hybrid but it's hard to tell not being able to see the lateral lines because of the shine.
Here's a striper, a little larger than the first fish I posted.

Attachments

• striper.png
    striper.png
    607.9 KB · Views: 23

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like a hybrid. Check the tooth patches on the tongue.

Redbow

I would say hybrid also, I have never seen a WB that big.

little rascal

It's a Hybrid. More than one line goes all the way to the tail.
Whitebass have only one line to the tail, the other lines fade out before the tail. Whitebass generally have more faded lines below the lateral line.

little rascal

used to catch some hefty white bass on Weiss when the the schools came up.
one cast a nice spot , next cast a nice white, next cast a nice channel cat.
Yes catfish will school and love small shad better than you stink baits!!!