Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosewood

The range where I work has flags at the end of the rifle range. There are bullet holes in the flag poles.
I think some shoot things like that on the range to see if they can hit it.

bullgator

The range where I work has flags at the end of the rifle range. There are bullet holes in the flag poles. We see people that really can’t shoot and know little about their guns. That will increase as we approach deer season. They know nothing about scopes and MOA, as long as they’re in the black at 100 yards they’re happy.
I think we added 8 million to that list in the past year.

Baroque Brass

I think some shoot things like that on the range to see if they can hit it.
As RSOs, we try to watch for that sort of thing. One of the ROs stopped a kid that was shooting at the ball on the flag pole. Dad was in the next lane not watching the kid.

Reactions: Dub

chuckdog

Saturday I zero'd an inexpensive 4X scope on a stock black synthetic 10-22 carbine. Using 1200fps 40gr ammo I set it dead on @ 50 yards.

I had forgotten just how long and heavy a stock 10-22 trigger can be. Still, the little Ruger is just plain fun to shoot!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I had forgotten just how long and heavy a stock 10-22 trigger can be. Still, the little Ruger is just plain fun to shoot!

I glanced at replacements...just can't decide if I am even going to take it outta the box again. I looked at the Ruger BX and the Kidd. At least the Ruger isn't more than 50% of the rifle cost.

rosewood

Shot my Remington Rand 1911 slide on rock island frame today. All groups are 5 shots at 10 yards. Bottom right is 1974 vintage 230 gr hardball, rest are 202gr cast truncated cone powder coat boolits I cast myself over 4.6 to 5.5 grains of bullseye. I was quite pleased. This was off a pistol rest. I can't hold it that still off hand.

Rosewood
792021224359.jpg612021122146.jpg

Dub

Shot my Remington Rand 1911 slide on rock island frame today. All groups are 5 shots at 10 yards. Bottom right is 1974 vintage 230 gr hardball, rest are 202gr cast truncated cone powder coat boolits I cast myself over 4.6 to 5.5 grains of bullseye. I was quite pleased. This was off a pistol rest. I can't hold it that still off hand.

Rosewood
View attachment 1096871View attachment 1096872

That's some beautiful range work right there.

JMB would be proud. (y)

rosewood

That's some beautiful range work right there.

JMB would be proud. (y)
Thanks, so would my late pa-in-law that gave me the slide.

Rosewood

Dub

Sipping morning coffee and loaded up 200rds. 17 & 20 round mags full except for one that was two shy.

That Magula Uplula makes short work of loading mags.....just need a firm surface to work from.....and a pair of highly alert gun dogs lending close scrutiny.

These being my gun dogs at that moment....

Don't laugh....that little 'un is my wife's. She'll lick yer face off.

They tend to come alive when squirrels, cats or other dogs are sighted....or if a passerby steps into the yard. Whew....it's full bore badness then.

Today was my first session with a red dot on one of my guns. I was a little apprehensive about it due to the fledgling attempts in the past....shooting a magazine or two from one of Dad's dot-equipped guns....that had me not liking the bouncing redness that eluded my eye.

Installed the dot last Saturday evening and left it alone,

Didn't try to do any adjusting...aligning, etc. Nothing. Simply mounted the plate as per instructions,...then the RMR.

At the range I stuck a single small target circle at center mass zone and other in the noggin's kill zone. This gave me a reference point for the dot....figuring it would be all the training wheels I'd allow myself.....this time.

Decided to trust & believe.

Trusteed & believed that my grip was good and trigger press would be as well, Remained target focused and let it ride. Never used the back-up irons...not once did I peek at them. Years of sight focus was jettisoned for this session..... Felt sorta freaky. Not bad-freaky, either.

180 rounds at 10 yards.

Singles to body. Couple double taps.

Singles to head. Couple double taps there, too.

Mozambiques.

Then sorta freestyled it. Let the gun run like it wanted. It wanted fast and I let it ride.

Trigger presses felt really smooth.

This was my second session with this gun. 122 rounds first session with irons.

200 today with the RMR.

She had been cleaned and overlubed prior to today's shooting.

Dot ran well...even after 180rnds of crud hitting the windshield. Reminded me of driving through potholes.........or after eating the Indian food my son brought home......

So.....wiped off the RMR with a swipe of my t-shirt....stuck a fresh target circle down on the paper Bad Guy's hip and ran the target back to the end of the range.

Figured I was about to do some more John Wick stuff........and at distance.

Well....it didn't quite work out that well.

John Wick had exited the building.......and I was left with my inner John Candy.

At the longer distance the small black circle on Bad Guy's hip was tiny...sorta blurry.

I picked it up through the optic....but kept trying to achieve a perfect eclipse of red-over-black....somewhere in the midst of all this trying to force something that had just minutes before been as natural as peanut butter & jelly...............I was now fighting myself...clenching up like I'd eaten the Mumbia mushrooms with curry....it weren't purty....but it's how I rolled.

20 rounds of suck-tastic sight focused looseness....not unlike the looseness which accompanies Bombay street food....

So....in conclusion....here is my target focused fast John Wick 180:

And there is the result (in green circle) of the way-back-of-range-sight-focused-slow John Candy 20.

A heap of learning arrived with those final 20 rounds.

A great reminder of what happens when I don't trust & believe in the grip & trigger press...throttled the gun trying to hold it to the target.....and eyes stayed on sight vs freeing myself up and simply letting it happen.

I may be going about this next step incorrectly....the "zeroing" of the optic.

My plan is to later on this evening average out the aggregate "group" location.....and make an adjustment to the RMR to drift the dot right and upwards.

I'll shoot for effect and go from there.

I gotta long road ahead of me....but I am very pleased with this first time at bat with a dot in hand. I'll accept these results and learn from them.

Felt great to run 'em fast and with no corrective lenses....simply some old scratched up plastic safety glasses.

bullgator

Did some rapid fire from 20’ from low ready. Three shots per with a few final shots upstairs. It was some 9mm I loaded yesterday that I wasn’t thrilled with how they assembled. My PPQ ate them all up in about 5 minutes. 4600DA04-D698-47E4-9F66-3FD7C2A2E577.jpeg4600DA04-D698-47E4-9F66-3FD7C2A2E577.jpeg

rosewood

Dub

Sipped some good coffee this morning and at some point decided to dig into the small stash of Blazer aluminum-cased ammo that’s been showing up from Academy.

Stuffed 250 rounds.

Hadn’t adjusted the sight’s zero since installing.

Figured I’d go on more session.

3A7AC713-AB94-4DE2-B702-77F9CF059BD1.jpeg

Sent target to 10 yds.

05FF4A78-9AD4-4E3C-9095-F213218B99F6.jpeg

Ran 190 rounds….transitioning between torso & head each shot.

Ran it quick….barely aimed. Dot recovered quicker than irons would have.

55135A07-2680-43A6-8E36-A6A78C7B61BB.jpeg

No complaints with acquiring the dot during recoil. It typically did so before the slide returned to battery.

Substantially easier to shoot aimed rapid shots than I do with irons.
86C01D59-CFD3-4E38-BFAB-38BF8282546F.jpeg

Steel frame was hot.

Put up another target that had a few small stick-ons placed at center mass. Ran it to the back of the range. ~ 65’

Ran three 20-rd mags. Same pace as before….slightly slower than mag dumps.

985ACC64-4CA0-4979-A97B-5D047F6E6631.jpeg

Not where I want to be at such a range…but much better than the target was at same distance last session….and this is as fired much faster.

CFBDE5E1-C0E3-4854-AACA-4AB0D50CC472.jpeg

She was hot & dirty as the smoke cleared.

9C46D5A4-8FA3-459B-868C-B0E3C6FA1CEB.jpeg

Home to clean & adjust sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.