Did you shoot anything today ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerv

Buddy bought his son a 10/22 for xmas. I took them out to my club for his son to shoot it for the first time. He literally did not know it was a semi. Didn't take long for him to start seeing how fast the thing could go. He had fun and shot up most of a brick of 22.

Nimrod71

Today was a good day at the Swamp Range. My Swampy friend called and invited me down to meet and shoot with his friend Doc. Holiday, card playing - gun slinger. We started out shooting 22 rifles at 100 yds. I've never shot 22's that far. They both had Henry's like the Old West, I had my favorite old Ruger bolt action S.S. All Weather 77/22 that I bought back when they first came out in the 80's. We were using regular long rifle ammo, no target or special loads. The Henry's shot very well, I was impressed. As for my shooting I thought I did O.K. for my first time shooting 100 yds. with 22 LR. After I got the scope adjusted I was getting about a 3 inch group. I know that is nothing special but all three rifles shot about the same grouping. Nothing was consistent, there would be and inch or more between shots. However, I think we shot good enough to bring home a few squirrels and rabbits if needed them.

Nimrod71

Oh, I also shot Doc's Quigley 45-70 and let me tell you that was a good shooting rifle. This rifle was made by the same people that made the one used in the movie. The bullets were the same too. Swampy showed me the target they shot at 500 yds. and let me say That Rifle Will Shoot.

I also shot the Sierra 169's I loaded and I found the IMR 4064 powder made the best group. It surprised me the 169's are so much longer than the 168's.

bullgator

I shot my Tikka in 6.5 Swede (.6), all in the 3/4” stick on dot. I then shot the Weatherby 7 mag. and it was 3/.9 and 1.75” above POA......all good. Those will be the two I take to a pay hunt in Alabama in 10 days.

Finally, my nephew gave me a rifle to try and figure out why it won’t shoot good anymore. The barrel was a mess! The first three patches I ran down the bore came out brown......as in rust brown. I cleaned it up and threw some book loads together. So it rides to the range with me today to see if the cleaning was the issue. The first two shots were 8-9” high. After adjustments, I shot two 3 shot groups that both measured right at .8”. It’s one of those Savage package guns with the cheap scope and a 6# trigger. I told him to get the trigger down to 3# and then think about a scope upgrade. Problem is, I think I’m on the hook to load his ammo now! :banginghe

Dub

Had an awesome range trip yesterday with my father & 16 yr old nephew during a road trip visit to my old hometown over this past long weekend.

We shot up a pile of stuff....my nephew ran them all with excellent results. M41, MkIV, P229, 2011, .357 wheelies, 1911's, etc.

I'm mighty proud of him for so much. Kid is a rock solid citizen already....and he's on a super trajectory.

He is very, very close to earning his Eagle Scout.

He doesn't realize it but his grandpa has this sweet Henry put away waiting on that day.

I was given a secret preview of the rifle. Mighty cool stuff. Glad he stuck with it and is gonna achieve Eagle Scout.

Great day.

I was glad for it.

The day prior was a tough day, spent over at my wife's gravesite and then over at the monument company trying to get the hurry up done on her/our grave markers and headstone. It seems that covid has impacted that industry more than most any other.

Was glad to get back home this afternoon....almost knocked down at the front door by our dogs. Missed those suckers awful bad and it appeared the feeling was mutual. Gonna pile up in the bed together soon.

Thinking I'll have another range session tomorrow morning. (y)

Dub

Did something I typically don't do....carried more than a couple guns to the range today....a little bit later in the day than I wanted....running out of daylight to cram a bunch of stuff into a last day off work.

Ran 200 rds 230gr ball through 3 different .45 1911's.

I sucked. Guns ran fine.

I was just....off. Meat fisting the triggers.

Put away the .45's and changed things up just a tad.

Ran this .38 Super. 70 115gr hollow points at 10yd headshots. This gun flips me the bird when I try to run it slow.

Smoothest shooting pistol I've ever owned. I didn't even try to slow down....let it eat.

Wasn't trying any type of drills today... just simply enjoying myself.

Next up was the P229 I've been getting used to this past month.

Back out to 10yds and ran four 15-rd magazines. DA first pull (low left & low center) on each mag & then the rest were rapid SA pulls.

Zero problems with this gun. I'm at 400 rounds through it now....each trouble-free.

Home and cleaned 'em up.

Ready for next trip. (y)

chuckdog

The .38 Super 1911 combination was made in heaven.

I've shot a few that I couldn't afford, rare for me to shoot one I didn't want.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

The .38 Super 1911 combination was made in heaven.

I've shot a few that I couldn't afford, rare for me to shoot one I didn't want.

I hear ya....today I had trouble getting this .38 Super running.

First range session with it.

Good news: trigger & sights worked out very much to my liking. Could tell it was more accurate than I am.....of course, today...that isn't saying much.

Bad news: Each and every round failed to extract.

Piddled around with it some while watching 1883...doing the free preview of Paramount+. Thinking I may drop cable and go with a couple good channels.

Took a .45, too. The Colt ran well.

50 rounds....most were run at an near full throttle pace. Couldn't make it misstep.

Sights on this gun are more of a suggestion than the fiber optic or gold beads that have me spoiled. No bouncing front visible after the shot...it's amazing how much of a difference they make.

I can only imagine the gains good sights make with a shooter who has the steady disciplined bullseye hold. It's always cool watching shooters like that. I've never been very successful in that type of shooting...more of "can handle recoil and recover short range sight picture quickly" type.

Last up was one of my father's wheelguns. Ran 50 .38spcl in it.

Ran them all double action......figured today was a good day to start working on my double action shooting. I am bad...real bad.

I've sidestepped it for many years....always single action whenever shooting hunting revolvers, of course.

Lazy that I didn't practice more with the J-frames more than I have. I mean, I carry them....why haven't I practiced with them ??? Lazy, that's why. Always more fun to grab a semi-auto and blast away. :rofl:

Ran these 50 at a fresh target. 10yds.

POA was nose & navel.

I gotta lot of work to do.....but hopefully many years to get there.

killerv

Tikka 17hmr. Saturday morning. He's been watching too many predator hunting shows on the outdoors channels.

75b5jez.jpg

frankwright

I did! I took my 7.62 X39 18" AR to the range today.
I shot my first handloads in that caliber Hornady 123 SST with CFE BK powder.
I could only shoot 50 yards but was pretty happy considering I was shooting off my range bag with an inexpensive scope and my old eyes could not see the fine crosshair and dot that well. That is all my excuses! I know I could hit a pig in the head!Target 7.62X39 50 yards.jpg
No malfunctions and I finished up by blasting clays and pieces of clays off the berm.

deerslayer357

Went and set up my rifle range today. Should be able to stretch it to 200 yards on the steel targets that I hung today.
1 at far hill and one 100 yards short of it.
Then I chronographed 2 rifle loads I have developed.

First was the 30/06 165 grn Sierra gameking sbt over Reloader 17. Chronographed at 2733 fps average

Next was the 300 Win Mag- 165 grn Barnes TTSX -BT over Reloader 17. Chronographed average of 3247 fps, which was almost 50fps faster than book max with a less than max load. This load had an extreme spread of 16 fps, which I felt was acceptable

deerslayer357

Went and set up my rifle range today. Should be able to stretch it to 200 yards on the steel targets that I hung today.
1 at far hill and one 100 yards short of it.
Then I chronographed 2 rifle loads I have developed.

First was the 30/06 165 grn Sierra gameking sbt over Reloader 17. Chronographed at 2733 fps average

Next was the 300 Win Mag- 165 grn Barnes TTSX -BT over Reloader 17. Chronographed average of 3247 fps, which was almost 50fps faster than book max with a less than max load. This load had an extreme spread of 16 fps, which I felt was acceptable

Both of these loads were already settled on, just wanted to see what kind of velocities and extreme spreads I was getting. Already killed several deer with the 30/06 load because I developed it 4-5 years ago and have been using it since.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yes I did...the wind made me want to shoot some skeet birds and I had a new to me Beretta I wanted to shoot. My hind end dropped 7 targets...rather frustrating...the rest were just a big cloud of black dust...a couple just got chipped up pretty good.

I have some LOP issues with it and it being a field gun the safety goes on every time you break the barrels...felt like I shoulda paid for 2 rounds...thought the trigger was going to break off once...added a little frustration factor to the round :D

first day with my new feet...I'll do better next trip...might wait for the wind to die some :)

deerslayer357

Saturday I Shot 2 hogs for some homemade sausage. One with the 41 mag Blackhawk and then another with the 30/06. Dressed them and made sausage on Sunday.
Had a sausage biscuit for breakfast this morning and it was GOOD!

Dub

Saturday I Shot 2 hogs for some homemade sausage. One with the 41 mag Blackhawk and then another with the 30/06. Dressed them and made sausage on Sunday.
Had a sausage biscuit for breakfast this morning and it was GOOD!

:cheers:Doesn't get any better than that. :rockon:

Took a .45 & P229.

Opened up with the .45 and let it ride on the noggin. UP from low ready, double taps.

50 round box of AE 230gr went fast.

Then 100rds of 124gr through the P229. Torso shots.

Same, up from low ready....double taps & triples. Freaking gun runs superfast and the red dot is like cheating.

Dub

Had a few minutes today to try out the cco after adding the magwell yesterday.

50 rds 124gr ran smooth. Gun feels much more settled in hand with that small amount of extra backstrap provided by the magwell.

5A6F8FC3-995B-447B-A30A-01E23D7659FD.jpeg

Very little difference in felt frame length between it and the commander that went along today.

Heck….it shot better than the commander….. 50rds 124gr through it as well to confirm….better sights making the difference, I am guessing.

D77DE24B-5B3C-430F-A7EB-AB581BF64CE9.jpeg

92B7427C-0A3C-4955-978A-BFD6FBE6DA04.jpeg

Last edited:

rosewood

Tested the .410 loads I loaded a few days back, shoot a bit faster than I expected. Checked zero on my 4013tsw and gx4 that I just put night sights on. No adjustment necessary. Put more rounds thru my tx22. Also tested some 68gr lehigh in 9mm, hit over 1700 fps in 3.5" bbl with cfe pistol. Flattened primers, gotta tone it back a few tenths. Shot good though.

Rosewoid

Dub

Brief pitstop at the range this afternoon.

Picked up a Blackhawk that I bought from Jester and brought the 2011 along to test out some Triarc brand magazines that'd I not used.

68 rounds to the noggin. I believe Mr Paper BadGuy now has a headache. The mags ran without trouble. Significant cost savings over the Staccato branded mags....and other than the coating, I can't see or feel a difference. (y)

.44mag was aimed at the crease along the torso edge. Crisp & light trigger felt excellent....my eyes, however, not so good on the front blade. :rofl:

Saved the remainder of the .44 rounds as I want to run them on another session when I can really get after it with with a pair of blued hoglegs.

Status
Not open for further replies.