Didn't know my boat was worth so much!!!

Fishin & Hunting

Got a letter yesterday from the tax office that says my 1997 SS90D 16' Skeeter bass boat with a 90hp Force motor was worth $8,500. And I need to pay $92 in taxes this year on it.

I only paid $5,500 for it in 2000. They said last year it was worth $2,500. Letter states that a surge in values of marine vessels has caused this large increase.

Found out that the county I live in (Butts) contracted a company out to put values on boats. Called the company to get a copy of how they valued my boat. First guy who has the same last name as the company refused to send me the information I requested. Told me to look it up myself basically, we started to talk over each other since I know the law says he has to provide me copies of how they valued my boat. He then hung up on me. Second guy I talked to sent me the copies I requested. We then went over things they had written down about my boat. He didn't even know what ELPTO meant. He didn't know his brands of outboard motors.

Anyone else having problems like this?

2dye4

I did several years ago. You can contest it in front of a panel of commissioners I think is who they were is what I did.

Robust Redhorse

Taxes I wouldnt pay, Boat taxes are a total rip off... soon we are gonna have a deerstand tax lol
Don't be surprised!

I love having to pay over $500/month to live in my own house.

No children in the government school.

The county paved my road last year. If I didn't want to live on a dirt road, I would not have built a house on a dirt road.

Imposed additional taxes on people who don't want it.

Great!

Last edited by a moderator:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Makes one wonder if the tax assessors are exempt from paying all these county imposed taxes.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
RINO’s and Democrats run this state. You get what you vote for.

Got a letter yesterday from the tax office that says my 1997 SS90D 16' Skeeter bass boat with a 90hp Force motor was worth $8,500. And I need to pay $92 in taxes this year on it.

I only paid $5,500 for it in 2000. They said last year it was worth $2,500. Letter states that a surge in values of marine vessels has caused this large increase.

Found out that the county I live in (Butts) contracted a company out to put values on boats. Called the company to get a copy of how they valued my boat. First guy who has the same last name as the company refused to send me the information I requested. Told me to look it up myself basically, we started to talk over each other since I know the law says he has to provide me copies of how they valued my boat. He then hung up on me. Second guy I talked to sent me the copies I requested. We then went over things they had written down about my boat. He didn't even know what ELPTO meant. He didn't know his brands of outboard motors.

Anyone else having problems like this?
I got the same treatment. They raised the value of my boats by 300%. Send me a PM with who you called to get the data they used to value your boat. I need to do that before going down there in person.

Everyone I know here in the county with a boat is very angry about how this was done. Now it is up to us to appeal and prove the correct values.

We need a new tax commissioner!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I got the same treatment. They raised the value of my boats by 300%. Send me a PM with who you called to get the data they used to value your boat. I need to do that before going down there in person.

Everyone I know here in the county with a boat is very angry about how this was done. Now it is up to us to appeal and prove the correct values.

We need a new tax commissioner!
The tax commissioner has nothing to do with it.

Shadow11

That's funny. I'm new to owning a boat. I'm not even sure you can call mine a boat. It's a plastic pontoon that cost me 700 bucks at academy last yr.

Anyway, i got a letter from the state, earlier this year, and it included a form that i had to fill out and mail in. I had enter all these worth values and where it was stored at. Said it was considered property value, and it would be taxed in that way.

I'm just glad they don't know about my 4 wheeler, lawn mower, and garden tiller. Dadgum!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
The Board of Assessors in your county.
Correct. Most counties are using ABOS as their marine valuation service. There have been increases across the board on marine values, just like everything else the last 3 years. Anyone that has bought or sold a boat in that timeframe is well aware of it. That said, the system isn't perfect. If you think you are overvalued, get all of the information you can find to support your side and go make an appeal.

DynamicDennis

Don't be surprised!

I love having to pay over $500/month to live in my own house.

Complete **.

No children in the government school.

The county paved my road last year. If I didn't want to live on a dirt road, I would not have built a house on a dirt road.

Imposed additional taxes on people who don't want it.

Great!
But "we" are doing this for "you". Horse crap, don't pay to work hard in the middle class anymore. I need to find out how to get my full gubment package, complete with cash assistance and obama-phone.