Didn't know my boat was worth so much!!!

DynamicDennis

If you are white and legal you don't qualify, you must keep working.
Stay the course they say, save your money they say, put more into retirement they say. Heck I'll probably work until I die anyways, I should just buy what I want now!!!!!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
But "we" are doing this for "you". Horse crap, don't pay to work hard in the middle class anymore. I need to find out how to get my full gubment package, complete with cash assistance and obama-phone.
As a white male with a high school diploma (just guessing) all you have to do is break your back, hire the right lawyer, and try to live off $600.00 a month the rest of your life.... OH, and make sure you don't fall, step or sit down too hard, jump, run, bend over, etc. till the day you die.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
The best thing for everyone to do would be to contact your State Representative and ask them to do away with the Marine Personal Property tax. It almost got passed back in 2015, I think it was. There are tons of people every year, just on this forum, that hate the idea. If enough of us got the ball rolling who knows what would happen.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The best thing for everyone to do would be to contact your State Representative and ask them to do away with the Marine Personal Property tax. It almost got passed back in 2015, I think it was. There are tons of people every year, just on this forum, that hate the idea. If enough of us got the ball rolling who knows what would happen.

I agree. I`m tired of paying taxes on two boats.

DynamicDennis

You are correct. And I guess I'll just keep working, thanks for reeling me back in. I'm still playing a little lotto, and hoping for the best.

Lilly001

Being the rule follower I am after I bought a boat for my Ga place I registered it and tagged the trailer in Ga.
The law says something about over 60 days continued use that you need to register it in Ga.
So the State was ok with a nonresident registering a boat but the local tag office had no idea.
It took 2 weeks for them to figure it out.
But now I got the letter that they want to tax it.
So much for being a rule follower.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
While on this subject, how long after one buys a used boat before one has to tell the tax man and which one do you tell? Last boat I owned was the early 90's and all I had to worry about was keeping the registration and trailer tag up to date.

Fishin & Hunting

Batjack, don't worry, the state will tell them.

2Busy2Work, I know you live in Jackson, GA just like I do. I filed my appeal today. I also asked to have a conversation with the County Manager about the company they hired to do the appraisals. I did call the company that did the appraisals and got them straightened out some on what they were doing wrong. My opinion is that they don't know what they are doing, just filling in the blanks on an online form. Dustin Pate is correct that they are using ABOS to do the valuation. But you have to pay a fee to look up your value on ABOS. Butts County tells you to use JDpower.com/boats as a valuation tool. JD has the high end of my boat value as $3,900. This makes it pretty easy to file an appeal.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
How does a 10 year old boat GO UP in value?:rofl:

Taxman are stupid and greedy. Going to appeal the letter I just got from Houston County. Screw them.

308-MIKE

I'm starting to get worried/annoyed. I just bought a 21 year old pontoon in excellent shape. The previous owner told me that he didn't have to pay taxes on it in awhile.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Luxury tax is what it is.

You pay taxes on the boat when you buy it, pay trailer tag fees every year and now the county you reside in wants to tax us for owning a boat.

Politicians and tax assessors are some of the lowest scum of the earth there is.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Luxury tax is what it is.

You pay taxes on the boat when you buy it, pay trailer tag fees every year and now the county you reside in wants to tax us for owning a boat.

Politicians and tax assessors are some of the lowest scum of the earth there is.
Dutch, I take that highly offensive. I've been in the profession a long time and known hundreds of Assessor's across the state. Most every single one are great folks doing a job that is spelled out by law.

I get on here every year and try to answer questions and misconceptions to try to help people navigate this marine personal property and even on their real property. There are so many false things posted here every year and even in this thread.

What you posted above about the county wanting to tax us is not correct. That is state law, which is why I posted in this thread earlier about reaching out to state representatives to make a change. Matter of fact, every single thing you see from the Assessor's office is written State law.

Every Assessor's office is audited on a yearly basis to make sure they are following at least a half dozen metrics to make sure they are fairly and equally assessing. I see the reports yearly and 90-95% of the counties in Georgia were undervaluing their digest last year...to the point that your biggest public utilities in each county are paying at a reduced rate that you and I don't qualify for. Guess where that lost money is going to come from? Probably by the county raising the millage rate and hitting you square in the pocket.

Since I stepped in office, I have made it a goal of mine to help educate and work with as many people as I can to make sure they fully understand how, and why, they are valued as they are. Ultimately, it is mass appraisal, not fee appraisal, and property's will be overvalued at times. Just like the boats we have been discussing in this thread.

Last edited:

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Dutch, I take that highly offensive. I've been in the profession a long time and known hundreds of Assessor's across the state. Most every single one are great folks doing a job that is spelled out by law.

I get on here every year and try to answer questions and misconceptions to try to help people navigate this marine personal property and even on their real property. There are so many false things posted here every year and even in this thread.

What you posted above about the county wanting to tax us is not correct. That is state law, which is why I posted in this thread earlier about reaching out to state representatives to make a change. Matter of fact, every single thing you see from the Assessor's office is written State law.

Every Assessor's office is audited on a yearly basis to make sure they are following at least a half dozen metrics to make sure they are fairly and equally assessing. I see the reports yearly and 90-95% of the counties in Georgia were undervaluing their digest last year...to the point that your biggest public utilities in each county are paying at a reduced rate that you and I don't qualify for. Guess where that lost money is going to come from? Probably by the county raising the millage rate and hitting you square in the pocket.

Since I stepped in office, I have made it a goal of mine to help educate and work with as many people as I can to make sure they fully understand how, and why, they are valued as they are. Ultimately, it is mass appraisal, not fee appraisal, and property's will be overvalued at times. Just like the boats we have been discussing in this thread.

Well, I guess you're the exception to rule then. Still ain't got any use for them or thier luxury tax

Last edited: