DNR Meetings re: Turkey Hunting Near Deer Feeders

Possum

Banned
Better stay away from the national forest up this way. No turkey but I got a feeder full of corn. Game warden up here a jerk too. He’d write his own mommy a baiting ticket, ain’t gonna cut no body no slack up here.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Better stay away from the national forest up this way. No turkey but I got a feeder full of corn. Game warden up here a jerk too. He’d write his own mommy a baiting ticket, ain’t gonna cut no body no slack up here.

Where exactly?

Mark K

Banned
Just play the odds. Probably 75% on here have feeders out. And just because you have a feeder out doesn’t mean it’s for turkeys (still don’t have the first pic of a turkey in my trough feeder or under my gravity feeder). So if 75% have feeders out and there’s only 1-2 GW per county or counties, then the odds are good you’ll never get checked anyways. Seems to me those that are worried about it might have a reason to worry.
And maybe our turkeys are just different in the Ag areas, but I have yet to see turkeys flock to any bait down here, even when just trying to get trail cam pics!

buckpasser

What about a feed trough for deer with protein pellets is in that's 150 from you in a pine plantation when you set up?

GW was always welcomed on the property my dad managed. While he was looking around one time he saw turkeys in the vicinity of a boss buck style feeder with 100% protein pellets in it. He then advised that there could be no hunting within 200 yards of those feeders after he saw that. FWIW

Turkeytider

Just play the odds. Probably 75% on here have feeders out. And just because you have a feeder out doesn’t mean it’s for turkeys (still don’t have the first pic of a turkey in my trough feeder or under my gravity feeder). So if 75% have feeders out and there’s only 1-2 GW per county or counties, then the odds are good you’ll never get checked anyways. Seems to me those that are worried about it might have a reason to worry.
And maybe our turkeys are just different in the Ag areas, but I have yet to see turkeys flock to any bait down here, even when just trying to get trail cam pics!

" Seems to me those that are worried about it might have a reason to worry. " Or, maybe they just want to abide by the law, perhaps. In this case, WHATEVER the law means(?).

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
So this is the first year a feeder has ever been out?

No this is the first year the so called iffy 200yard feeder rule is tossed out the window indefinitely. Now it’s nobody knows and more feeders than ever are likely in place.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
No this is the first year the so called iffy 200yard feeder rule is tossed out the window indefinitely. Now it’s nobody knows and more feeders than ever are likely in place.
They have been in southern ga for several years , a lot of em !

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
In the north I believe it is a pivotal year. Next year we will know a definitive distance. Probably “will be” 200 yards and out of sight.
Right now hunters do not know.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Actually my first turkey season on here since 2014. Didn’t realize it has been discussed before.
I was being sarcastic to the people that post this every season , I know you’ve been here a while , anyway those predators u are taking out are far worse on our turkeys than some wannabe turkey hunter hunting over a feeder !

Mark K

Banned
Working on the predator problem. I’ll let LE take care of the other.
Just throwing this out there, if DNR/Lawmakers can take care of the deer by assigning doe days in certain counties then they should be able to do the same with turkeys. Should be fairly easy too, just read the comments that want season or limits reduced and just reduce or eliminate from the counties that the post originated. I’ll even help out...here in Worth Co we are good!!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Working on the predator problem. I’ll let LE take care of the other.
Just throwing this out there, if DNR/Lawmakers can take care of the deer by assigning doe days in certain counties then they should be able to do the same with turkeys. Should be fairly easy too, just read the comments that want season or limits reduced and just reduce or eliminate from the counties that the post originated. I’ll even help out...here in Worth Co we are good!!

We`re good here in Lee, Early, Seminole, Wheeler, and Dougherty too.

Buckman18

We’re good in the mountains.

I also hunt in Mcduffie County where our deer lease is, and there are more turkeys there than any place I’ve ever seen.