Do any of you remember these?

specialk

yes, at least one branch of service(army maybe)...my dad has one he got at a flea market about 45 years ago....real crude made gun, folded up to slip in a backpack...springfield made a replica a few years back.....

got a place in the stock for shells and bullets.....knob on hammer to select top or bottom bbl......long squeezable trigger....see pic........

scout.jpg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I owned one long ago, 22/20gauge made by Savage. Good reliable gun but heavy for a single shot.

georgia_home

Cousins had 22/20. Savage, nice wood.

the choke was a bit wide for duck/goose puddle jump hunting. They only used that one when the both cousins went. iirc, the one they had was IC for the 20. But if you came over the dune fast enough, you‘d be close enough to get the job done.

Bobby Bigtime

I knew a few people with the savage 24 in various configurations when I was a kid. One of my buddies shot a monster bobcat with the 222 barrel on his right square between the eyes. We were three miles out so we tied him to a pole and packed him out on our shoulders. It was a big day for two sixth graders.

Ocmulgee44

I have had a Savage 24 in 22lr over 20 gauge for a long time. I also bought my son one when he got big enough to hunt squirrels and such. Good starter gun I reckon. He went on to make a USMC designated marksman. He still has his and his boys will end up with both of them most likely. I have cleaned everything from deer to wood ducks that were killed with a model 24. Selector switch and hammer might not be for everybody but it works. I would love to add one in 22mag or 30-30 to the collection.

jaydawg

Enjoyed a savage 22/410 for years....hunted with a guy who used a 308/12ga 3”...he used it for deer/turkeys, especially because of fall turkey season in VA, always prepared...think it was a Valmet???

Tikka, a Finnish firearm manufacturer now owned by Beretta, used to make a lot of the over/under guns and sold them to other companies that put their name on them. All of the vintage Ithaca LSA bolt action rifles were made by them. Later ones were imported by Stoeger, I think. (all are **** fine rifles by the way!)
I don't know if they still make the over/unders and while they used to be cheap a few years back when you did find one, they ain't any more...

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Had a .22/.410 when I was a kid. In my late teens I "loaned" it to a friend so he could take his little brother hunting... never saw it again.

Redbow

got a place in the stock for shells and bullets.....knob on hammer to select top or bottom bbl......long squeezable trigger....see pic........

View attachment 1063128
Never seen one of those, neat looking gun though. I never had an over/under gun of any type but some friends of mine did.

ArmyTaco

Yes my dad has one that I will inherit someday I'm sure. I believe you can still find them fairly easily.

Bobby Bigtime

Yes my dad has one that I will inherit someday I'm sure. I believe you can still find them fairly easily.
You can find them but they have become expensive little buggers. I was with one of my buddies and his dad when we were kids. The boy had saved his lawn mowing and snow shoveling money for quite awile he took his dad into the local gambles hardware store and handed his dad a wad of cash, mostly ones and fives. He got a plain light colored savage 24 in 222/20 for the cost of 129.99 they threw in a box of 20 gauge.

mwood1985

Savage model 24. Europeans call them drilling rifles i think. They are great for walking and shooting whatever in season. A older friend of mine has one in 3030 and 20ga. Its his go to deerstand gun.

Latest posts