Do it yourself hunting stuff

reylamb

Good looking calls there Flinger.

I do 2 do-it-yourself things mostly:
1. Game cams, both 35mm and digital
2. Bow strings. In my opinion every bit as good as Winners Choice at a fraction of the cost.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Good thread Flinger.

I make my own re-usable scent containers out of film canisters. You can use cotton in them or if you want to hang them on limbs you can cut a strip off of an old cotton t-shirt about 1"x12" and hot glue one end to the inside bottom of the canister and the other to the bottom of the cap. Then just fill with your favorite scent and their ready when you are... :cool:

Trizey

I've made a deer drag like the ones they sell at BassPro.

Take a piece of PVC about 14-16" long, 1" diameter. Get two end caps that will fit and drill a hole in the center of the end caps. Take your rope, thread one end through each end cap and tie a knot on the inside of the end cap. You can also use some epoxy or glue to hold the end caps on.

Now you have a great deer drag!

Scouter

Push Reflectors.

Make your own Bright Eyes. Find white push pins. (white seems to work better than other colors). Spray paint them hunter Orange. after drying, then take the reflective tape and punch holes in the tape. use the holes punched and put them on the end of the push pin. I use these push pins in areas I am not familiar with, typically public land. Place the pin on the side of the tree that your flashlight will hit. On the way out, just pull the pins. No one knows you were there.
Have also done the same with clothes pins. The clothes pins just take up more room.

Adirondacker

my avatar shows and an example of some of my homemade "stuff". Those are hen bones from the fall season in NY State. Gobble bones are bigger and yield deeper gobbler like yelps.

I have also saved the flight feathers of many of the turkeys I have shot so I can make my own fletching for arrows, but I have never got one of those heat thingies to shape/cut them with, scissors just won't give me consistence shaping. Any ideas on a homemade "something" to cut feathers to shape?

miner

Tampax tampons (new) and a zip lock back make great deer drags they already have a strink attached.

gabowman

I keep an old seat belt with a short piece of rope tied to it in my fanny pack and use it for a drag when needed. It's easier to pull from your waist/shoulders that just holding onto a deer's foot when by yourself. I keep this with me alpl the time I'm hunting.

GB

Muygrande

Does a 'Tater gun count????!!!! ::huh: I made one of them one time!! :cool: I agree with Randy way too much time on your hands. You're the kinda buddy everyone needs!! :D

hnter270

potty

if ya ever get cold at night but gots to pee. MILK JUGS just dont leave em layin round like our guys do at our hunttin club :bounce:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
I have also made a homemade heater for use in a box stand that works real well. All you need is a large coffee can (empty), a new roll of toilet paper and a bottle of denatured alchohol.

Place the t/p in the can and fill with the alchohol. The t/p acts as a wick and can be reused as often as you like as long as you replenish the alchohol. For storing, just make sure it has cooled down before placing the top back on the can.

Works great!

Arrow Flinger

Walk in deer cooler

Actually, I didn't build the cooler. It was a 40 year old cooler given to me with a bad cooling unit. After spending a couple of hundred bucks trying to keep R-12 in it at 75 bucks a can, I gave up and cut a hole in it and installed an old 18,000 btu AC as a cooling unit (yard sale $25). It would cool it down below freezing if I wanted it too but if I let the temp get down below 42, the coils would freeze up. I fixed that problem by installing a small window fan blowing through the coils. Problem solved.

You could build your own cooler easily though by just framing it up and insulating it well. That is all mine is. It sure is nice to not to worry about where to hang a deer after a long day hunting.

duke13

For my scent free clothes bag I buy a $2.00 bag of pine bark mulch at Home Depot, use the mulch and throw my clothes in the bag. Not only does it protect them from outside smells but puts a nice pine scent to them. If you are really cheep the landscape companies will be doing the fall flower changeouts in the next couple weeks and you can stop when you see them working at an apartment entrance and get all the empty bags you want for free! :p

I've been wanting to make one of those fishing hook thingies. I like your design Flinger. I have gotten pretty good with my pull up rope and a bungee cord but the fishing hook would work much better! :bounce:

For scent cans I tape a clothes pin to a 35mm can and stick a brite eye in the clothes pin so i can find it in the dark. then I pull out the scent rag and clip it to the tree.

By the way Flinger.....GREAT THREAD!!!!!!

Last edited:
:D Technically it's not something that I made, it's more like what I found.
When the DOT or contractors resurface a hwy. they use
a yellow and white flourecent tape to make temorary lines
in the road.
Many times you can find scraps discarded along the side of the road. They are as bright as any "Bright-Eyes".
You might get as lucky with this as I did. On a resurface job along the interstate I found a roll of white that had been
left in the ditch because it had been run over by a vehicle.
Been using this roll and giving some away for years.
GGB :p

Scouter

Thank you GA greybeard. The DOT just finished repaving my road. They left a lot of junk, but one thing they did leave was a roll of the white reflective tape. I will put it to good use for sure. No need in throwing it away.