Do you full length or neck size?

Bobby Bigtime

I full length resize. But I do have a specific load for a specific rifle that I use a Lee loader to produce because it shoots tiny groups as a result. In that case if it ain't broke..... Don't break it.

chuckdog

Neck for the same bolt rifle. Easier on me and the brass. A sight faster too. Shoot the same brass over and over without the need to trim and all that comes along with it.

My advice for those that do neck size, "don't do large lots that you may not use."

If I were loading for a ground hog rifle, I may load 100+ rounds neck sized only, but too many times I've loaded for a specific rifle only to trade it off. Made myself some more work taking them apart.

I can't definitively state whether accuracy is measurably changed, but I'm a fan of the ability to wipe a case off, size, load, and shoot again in minutes.

Nimrod71

I have N.S. for many years and I haven't had any problems with bolt closing or hard to load on any of the bolt rifles I load for. I have checked the accuracy of my rifles by shooting both Neck Sized and Full Length Sized rounds and there was no difference in the grouping on the targets.

chuckdog

When I loaded my first 300 Win Mag rounds many years ago I did my first partial sizing using my FL die.

After bringing the ram to the top of the stroke I placed a nickel atop the shell holder as a spacer, then ran the FL sizing die down to touch the nickel and locked. You could easily adjust for more or less as the nickel was a starting reference that worked quite well.

This method doesn't work your brass like complete full length sizing.

I haven't used this method much since I found the Lee Collett dies, but I remember being pleased with the results.

rosewood

I guess I missed this post/video when it was posted last year. Real interesting, I guess I bought in the idea of why neck sizing was good for an individual gun, but since these pros don't do it, they must know something I have yet to learn. I like the idea of the Lee neck sizer because you don't have to lube, makes it easy, and doesn't work brass, but it sounds like bumping the shoulder back .002" is what a lot of them are doing. May give this a shot in some of my hard headed guns that I haven't been able to get to group to my satisfaction.

Rosewood

rmp

I missed it too Rosewood.
Saw Speedy on the intro so had to watch the video. Never knew they did that. Just had always worked well for me.
I tried a 260 REM Redding neck die with a buddy about 7-8 years ago. His 3 die set. We did several cases and had runout on all of them. Before I could even begin to solve it, he asked how I sized things. I showed him how I bump shoulders on everything with the exception of 1x fired bulk brass. We then set up his FL die to bump shoulders and he ordered a Sinclair gauge like mine.
Never used a body die because I work up loads for individual rifles. Even have multiple FL size dies for multiple rifles in the same chambering. Never load many without checking fit in each respective chamber.
I have a few Redding Type-Speedy dies but get my most consistent, concentric ammo from Whidden bushing dies.

Most get a .003”-.004” bump.

Big7

The Oracle
Neck size on what is previously fired in the bolt rifle I am loading for. Full length for my 742 in 308. I also use Lee factory crimp dies on all rifle and pistol rounds
I've mentioned the LEE crimp more than once on here.

I generally neck size, especially when I'm OCD'ing on precision. I even keep my brass sorted whether or not I have more than one rifle in the same caliber.

Lever Gun and Handgun boolits get full length, of course and a LEE crimp.

I LOVE THE LEE CRIMP.
:biggrin2:

rmp

what type of Sinclair gauge?
I have heard/read .001-.003 shoulder bump. Do you have a good read to share on .004?

I’d have to look it up to be sure but I think it was called a bump gauge. Sinclair makes inserts for different shoulder profiles as well as bullet sizes. Whidden dies come with a bump gauge but this was years before I bought a set of his dies.
I’ve always used .003-.004” just as insurance for different conditions. Temp, dirt, whatever might be unforeseen and give better margin of error without overworking brass.
image.jpg

Dub

I've mentioned the LEE crimp more than once on here.

I generally neck size, especially when I'm OCD'ing on precision. I even keep my brass sorted whether or not I have more than one rifle in the same caliber.

Lever Gun and Handgun boolits get full length, of course and a LEE crimp.

I LOVE THE LEE CRIMP.
:biggrin2:

I'm asking out of ignorance.....I tend to do that on occasion. :bounce:

What are the benefits you find from the LEE crimp dies ?

Again....dumb guy question, but are you generally seating & crimping simultaneously ?

rmp

Yep, same thing by another company.
A little bit of my stuff gets a .002” bump never less than that. Mostly more just for that insurance and I hunt with every bolt gun I own.
I don’t remember the exact amount but when sizing 308 Win brass (Lapua) with a Redding FL die all the way to cam-over, I was getting substantially more than .004”. SAAMI chamber. I’ll have to test a few to see how much. It’s a shame how much the brass gets overworked by people not knowing any better.
I don’t remember the last time I bought factory center fire rifle ammo. Aside from 5.56. Got me curious.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
I'm asking out of ignorance.....I tend to do that on occasion. :bounce:

What are the benefits you find from the LEE crimp dies ?

Again....dumb guy question, but are you generally seating & crimping simultaneously ?

Dub,
These are better than the one I deleted.
Rifle and pistol.

Reactions: Dub