Dogs Straying Off WMA

Ray357

AWOL
There’s just as good lawyers in Madison County as anywhere else.
My hunting land is in Elbert. The frivolous lawsuits don't get very far in the Northern Circuit. Madison, Elbert, Franklin, Hart, Oglethorpe. Who are the good lawyers in Madison Co? I never met them.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
My hunting land is in Elbert. The frivolous lawsuits don't get very far in the Northern Circuit. Madison, Elbert, Franklin, Hart, Oglethorpe. Who are the good lawyers in Madison Co? I never met them.

The Granite Capital of the Worlds got some bulldogs too.

MCBUCK

Here’s a bit of clarification for the recurring question about how far away the dog is being turned out.
3/4 mile away.

As far as why no hunting, especially night hunting is allowed;
35 head of cattle
Probably $250k in farm equipment between two families.
Security: sometimes family members are home alone.
Liabilities/ safety: a river borders the land.
Just too much going on. And we kind of like it quiet.

MCBUCK

He turned out 2 miles from where he treed? If he is turning out two miles away from you is there really much more he can do?
He turned out 1/2 to 3/4 mile away.

hoytman308

Since our government is so great and run things so smoothly (DNR) why don’t they have areas like what has been mentioned here off limits to this or these kinds of hunting. I mean it’ll stop it all correct. No one would ever break that law. The real answer to this whole situation lays completely with what the land owner is able to tolerate. We all have our opinions and we all have levels of patience but like one gentleman stated times have changed and lawyers and our precious government these days tend to side with the ole trespassing victim. It’s pathetic to say the least but that’s the reality. The young man could be out doing worse with his life and causing way more harm to himself and others but at the same time trespassing is trespassing and it ain’t right at the end of the day. He should’ve moved on after the first time. I know what my daddy would’ve done if he had to tell me twice. Just sayin... I think the land owner has been really gracious and has shown quite a bit of mercy.

across the river

Since our government is so great and run things so smoothly (DNR) why don’t they have areas like what has been mentioned here off limits to this or these kinds of hunting. I mean it’ll stop it all correct. No one would ever break that law. The real answer to this whole situation lays completely with what the land owner is able to tolerate. We all have our opinions and we all have levels of patience but like one gentleman stated times have changed and lawyers and our precious government these days tend to side with the ole trespassing victim. It’s pathetic to say the least but that’s the reality. The young man could be out doing worse with his life and causing way more harm to himself and others but at the same time trespassing is trespassing and it ain’t right at the end of the day. He should’ve moved on after the first time. I know what my daddy would’ve done if he had to tell me twice. Just sayin... I think the land owner has been really gracious and has shown quite a bit of mercy.

The last thing we need is for the government to try to fix more problems. It makes no since to limit it smalls track when most of the year it probably wouldn’t be an issue. What we need is more personally responsibility. If you are going to hunt a tract like that near people’s home, go early and avoid it if possible late in the year when they are rutting. Don’t go in the middle of the night, and dang sure don’t got back if you bothered someone else on their place nights before. If you don’t have a place to hunt, that is your problem and not the problem of the “greedy” landowner who doesn’t want you roaming all over his place in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

hoytman308

The last thing we need is for the government to try to fix more problems. It makes no since to limit it smalls track when most of the year it probably wouldn’t be an issue. What we need is more personally responsibility. If you are going to hunt a tract like that near people’s home, go early and avoid it if possible late in the year when they are rutting. Don’t go in the middle of the night, and dang sure don’t got back if you bothered someone else on their place nights before. If you don’t have a place to hunt, that is your problem and not the problem of the “greedy” landowner who doesn’t want you roaming all over his place in the middle of the night.

I don’t disagree with what you say but again that’s why this particular problem keeps reoccurring. Unfortunately lots of people don’t have that moral thoughtful compass to do what you are suggesting. That’s why when the government takes over it usually gets ruined by people like this for all the other good guys.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You just must not like coon hunters. There are not many places you can hunt that you can guarantee your dogs don't cross a property line. That's the reason I quit hunting. I would rather a kid be coon hunting than doping. It's one thing when people turn out on your property line. It's another when the dogs travel. Property owners can do what they like, but sometimes some giving and not me, me, my, mine is helpful. I don't think the O.P. is being unreasonable. I also know a dog will tree where it trees. I hunted with the top Walker, top Blue Tick, and top Blue English in the nation. Those dogs would not even consider being recalled. If they struck,bthey treed.
I agree with all of that except the Walker part. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was partial to Red Bone and Blue Tick myself. Bad as I tried not to like those fox dogs (walker), they were the dogs to beat. That was 90s and early 2000s. Don't know about now.
I'm partial to Plotts, blueticks, and redbones. Had a couple good english dogs too, and one good black and tan. Never had or hunted with a walker that I really liked.

Ray357

AWOL
I'm partial to Plotts, blueticks, and redbones. Had a couple good english dogs too, and one good black and tan. Never had or hunted with a walker that I really liked.
IMO, the walkers were not good hunting dogs but great competition dogs. They are hot nosed, thus they don't waste a bunch of time treeing the cold trail. Turn em out. Strike quick. Tree Quick, if not back to the truck and on to next spot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, the walkers were not good hunting dogs but great competition dogs. They are hot nosed, thus they don't waste a bunch of time treeing the cold trail. Turn em out. Strike quick. Tree Quick, if not back to the truck and on to next spot.
And tree up every tree in the woods, whether there's a coon in it or not. :bounce:

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Never coon hunted, never owned a coon dog, but just asking.......shock collar maybe?
What good is that gonna do? Just put a collar on a dog and throw the juice to him? You reckon he'd know why? Or understand? If it hasn't been properly collar condtioned. I'd say unless you spent a lot of time teaching him to mind and what the stimulation is for if there is bad behavior, that's a bad idea.