Done messed up??

Cutem all Jack

Me and a buddy found out there were hogs on one of our properties and decided to go do some spot and stalk on christmas day. As soon as we stepped out of the truck we looked up and there were 2 275lbs sows. We ended up only getting one them but that was a heck of a hog and one heck of alot of work!! As we eased into the next pasture there they were, 50 yrds and closing. There were about 30 of them. As i drew back and let the arrow go at 42 yrds it found its mark, dead heart shot. She took off running away from us and then turned and started coming back to us. I then drew back and sent another arrow 57 yrds down range at her which entered inbetween her head and shoulder, she didnt run about 20 yrds and fell over. Another critter falling to the trusty ol T3.This was the first time ive ever done it and i believe that i have fell in love. I have not stopped smiling since it happened.
My question is the second sow we killed had a couple other sows in the group and there were piglets everywhere, by killing a sow will all of her piglets take up with another sow or will they be rejected to fend for there own? As crazy as it sounds i would kinda like to mange the heard and not wipe it out so that i can continue to have the fun challange of killing these critters. Most people would take a AR and wipe out half the hear in one sitting but whats the fun in that? Also i didnt see any boars, Do they travle with the sows and the piglets or keep there space till breeding time? Thanks for your input guys.

redka

When you see the damage they do to the property, the habitat, and subsequently the deer and turkey population, you'll be looking for that AR!
One or two hunters will not control them. A couple more daytime shootings and you won't be seeing them in the daytime, but they'll still be there rootin' and ripping roads, trails, and habitat.

bigreddwon

Good hunt man.
The mature boars run solo until they 'need' something from a sow. Usually if they have boars with them its from a litter or two ago, they will get kicked out sooner or later. You had a group of thirty? Good luck killing every one with a bow! You could TRY to kill them all off with a bow, but I wouldn't bet on it. As far as 'managing them, they can and will quickly get out of hand and start running your native game off your property.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Good hunt man.
The mature boars run solo until they 'need' something from a sow. Usually if they have boars with them its from a litter or two ago, they will get kicked out sooner or later. You had a group of thirty? Good luck killing every one with a bow! You could TRY to kill them all off with a bow, but I wouldn't bet on it. As far as 'managing them, they can and will quickly get out of hand and start running your native game off your property.

X2........as many as you have seen, I would not worry about wiping them out...........they are just going to get tougher to hunt. But that is what you want right? Have fun and enjoy your new friends:cheers:

I am not a Deer hunter at all so to me, a piece of land ain't worth huntin lessen it has pigs! Now you got a good chunk of land to hunt:yeah:

Cutem all Jack

Im hunting a small tract that a guy turned some loose on about 15 years ago and they have slap overrun the whole river bottom in about a 15 mile stretch of it. I have seen as many as 75 to 100 in a good day of hunting there. Its not my primary deer land so im not really worried about them running the deer off as long as i can still get the chance to spot and stalk them. A 300 lb boar would be just as much as a trophy as a 3 1/2 year old Georgia buck that only scores 115. What affect do they have on deer and turkey? And with killing the sows, how would it affect the piglets?

Jester896

Senior Clown
you better get busy...if you have 30 now and half are sows you will have 90 the first breeding + the other 15 and they will do that once again this year...oh wait that first litter is going to be bred around 6 moths from now...so this time next year you will have 195+:huh: :D good luck :D

Good shootn, had 2 show up about 3 years ago and now I gotm everywhere, took 4 of them two weeks ago and ran out of arrows had 14 come under my tree just like a parade of pigs!

bigreddwon

Im hunting a small tract that a guy turned some loose on about 15 years ago and they have slap overrun the whole river bottom in about a 15 mile stretch of it. I have seen as many as 75 to 100 in a good day of hunting there. Its not my primary deer land so im not really worried about them running the deer off as long as i can still get the chance to spot and stalk them. A 300 lb boar would be just as much as a trophy as a 3 1/2 year old Georgia buck that only scores 115. What affect do they have on deer and turkey? And with killing the sows, how would it affect the piglets?

The impact on deer and turkey can be profound. They are true omnivores, so if they find a a nest or a newborn fawn they have been known to eat them. They also destroy the areas they forage for food, kind of a 'scorched earth' policy. Native species will move on or get pushed out by the types of numbers your describing.

As far as the piglets go, I've seen small groups of 3-10 pigs from 10lbs to 25 lbs running around together apparently missing "momma' doing just fine. Until WE ran into them! They are great eating and much easier to get without a watchful sow!!

Cutem all Jack

As far as the piglets go, I've seen small groups of 3-10 pigs from 10lbs to 25 lbs running around together apparently missing "momma' doing just fine. Until WE ran into them! They are great eating and much easier to get without a watchful sow!!

Is there enough meat to fool with on them?

bigreddwon

Oh yea.. burn the hair off and bbq them whole.

scottja

Me and a buddy found out there were hogs on one of our properties and decided to go do some spot and stalk on christmas day. As soon as we stepped out of the truck we looked up and there were 2 275lbs sows. We ended up only getting one them but that was a heck of a hog and one heck of alot of work!! As we eased into the next pasture there they were, 50 yrds and closing. There were about 30 of them. As i drew back and let the arrow go at 42 yrds it found its mark, dead heart shot. She took off running away from us and then turned and started coming back to us. I then drew back and sent another arrow 57 yrds down range at her which entered inbetween her head and shoulder, she didnt run about 20 yrds and fell over. Another critter falling to the trusty ol T3.This was the first time ive ever done it and i believe that i have fell in love. I have not stopped smiling since it happened.
My question is the second sow we killed had a couple other sows in the group and there were piglets everywhere, by killing a sow will all of her piglets take up with another sow or will they be rejected to fend for there own? As crazy as it sounds i would kinda like to mange the heard and not wipe it out so that i can continue to have the fun challange of killing these critters. Most people would take a AR and wipe out half the hear in one sitting but whats the fun in that? Also i didnt see any boars, Do they travle with the sows and the piglets or keep there space till breeding time? Thanks for your input guys.

You've got plenty advice on the other matters, but to answer the question that no one else has, yes the piglets will take up with another sow. Most often they wont need to though and will keep going on their own.

Cutem all Jack

You've got plenty advice on the other matters, but to answer the question that no one else has, yes the piglets will take up with another sow. Most often they wont need to though and will keep going on their own.

Thanks for the answer! :cheers:i was still wondering