Drinking Water for deer

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
A little Dawn dish soap will take care of the skeeters. They use it to clean wildlife during oil spills so I doubt a couple drops will hurt. Just tossing it out there

Dish soap kills mosquitoes by reducing the surface tension of water. This causes them to drown by preventing them from being able to stand on the water. The dish soap will also suffocate mosquito larvae

Big7

The Oracle
Pretty soon there will be a vending machine for deer.

Mam made watering holes would be a good place to spread CWD, more so than corn piles I suppose.

WOODIE13

Probably beats EHD, we had a couple outbreaks here in August/September timeframe, not good at all

treemanjohn

Banned
I read a few years back deer and other critters use water puddles more than ponds or creeks for water.
A low spot in a road or area that collects standing water after a rain.
But Also hear most water is from food they eat. At least in SE.
Deer will drink out of a mud hole or hog wallow ten times as fast as a running creek

GregoryB.

I have a little seep on my property in WV just off a deer trail. Put a mineral block near it in the damp ground. Going to dig out a little puddle too for the water to collect more so than it already does.

WOODIE13

I have a little seep on my property in WV just off a deer trail. Put a mineral block near it in the damp ground. Going to dig out a little puddle too for the water to collect more so than it already does.
I got the same situation in WV, dug out the gravel and let the water collect, Fayette county

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I have hunted creek crossings intentionally to see deer coming to drink in drought conditions. I've never seen a deer drink from a creek or a lake. I have however watched a lot of deer as well as other critters drink from a tree root that holds a little puddle of water at one of my favorite hunting spots.

Bud Man

I'm a firm believer that you can never do too much to enhance the wildlife. I have a water trough set up that I clean monthly, they also use a 5 gallon bucket, and they drink out of my bird bath daily. I have two ponds within 600 yards of my man-made watering holes and they use all of them all the time. Do what you can and you have time to do , and hopefully you will reap the rewards.

Attachments

• 20220701_130330.jpg
    20220701_130330.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220701_130330.jpg
    20220701_130330.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220701_130330.jpg
    20220701_130330.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 10

WOODIE13

Last edited:

WOODIE13

WOODIE13

I'll shoot you a PM

XJfire75

Forgot to mention that ! I did that with the mortar mixing tubs, even though they are only about 6 inches deep,
Same thing i used. 2 in the same hole side by side is plenty in my backyard wood lot. Swamp in a few hundred yards away but I’m part of 25 acres of higher ground in pine rows. They get a sip or 2 while eating at the corn feeder almost nightly. Stays full in the shade also. I can it a win

WayneB

I thought cows were hard on a pond bank, then I started seeing deer in the pond foraging on some aquatic plants. They've worn ruts in the vegetation to, in, and around the pond and creek.
This morning saw 6 does with little ones, the littles were closer to the house drinking out of the goldfish ponds and fountains the woman has..
We've been wondering why we had to refill them every morning.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I wonder how them rabbits in those same areas make it. They can’t travel like a deer. @C.Killmaster is not telling y’all wrong. But is they are drinking it. That’s good too. During hot summers that’s why u see them moving in mid day. Eating grass. Most of this grass is beside the roads.
At my house I gave good spring water and grass fields. They are out there at different times. All the time.
Do like what y’all feel best. Can’t hurt. I enjoy water myself.

WOODIE13

The less stress the better