Dumb question for smart people #3

sinclair1

When they closed schools for the cold last week, I slowed at the flashing school zone where the camera takes the speeders photo.

The sign says “when Flashing” but some goomer gave me the horn and one finger salute.

So the question is, do they disregard the photos on school closure days?

I sure don’t trust them to not send the ticket. If they had that much control they would turn them off that day.

What say you?

Toliver

If school is out there is no school zone. I've seen them flash on weekends, holidays, spring/fall/winter breaks and even after school is out for summer. It's just a programming thing. The lights didn't get the memo to take the day off. So,no, school zone speeds cannot be enforced if there's no school.

sinclair1

If school is out there is no school zone. I've seen them flash on weekends, holidays, spring/fall/winter breaks and even after school is out for summer. It's just a programming thing. The lights didn't get the memo to take the day off. So,no, school zone speeds cannot be enforced if there's no school.
Does the camera stop for a one day closure? I sure don’t want to deal with a government worker to argue school was out that day.
I am not concerned with non camera zones as the cops are there to see it’s closed.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
It’s for the children……. And a revenue generating tax. They (the revenue generators) don’t care. Never trust them.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
In some states you can and will be photo ticketed for speeding in a construction zone on Christmas day when no workers have been present in the zone for days.

I would expect the same from school zones. I also don't trust a parked school bus by the side of the road. LOL

specialk

Does the camera stop for a one day closure? I sure don’t want to deal with a government worker to argue school was out that day.
I am not concerned with non camera zones as the cops are there to see it’s closed.
not that it matters, but i think the camera folks are a private company contracted by local .gov

sinclair1

Do they give a buffer on the speed or 36 is a ticket for 35 school zone? I doubt they give 10 like other roads

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
In Snellville the photo zones around schools will give and send a ticket for speeding above the posted, normal speed limit even when the lights aren't flashing. For example, 51 in a non flashing 45 mph which is 35 during school hours.

Toliver

Yes, they are contracted out.

Yes, in some jurisdictions the camera runs during school hours and after school functions and will do tickets even when lights are not flashing during those times. If lights are not flashing it should be enforcing the regular speed limit.

The ones I'm aware of still give 10 over before ticketing but I can't speak for all of them. In Georgia, local officers are required by law to give 10 over when using stationary speed detection. However, school zones are an exception. As are residential streets 30 moh or less and marked historical districts. GSP has no obligation to give any leeway.

Georgia used to be a 24/7 no matter what on the work zone. Now workers or equipment creating a hazard have to be present.

These are how things SHOULD work. But I completely understand why some don't trust these cameras.

hopper

I'm getting a little sick of drivers thinking just because another driver "isn't doing it right" they have some right to ride you're bumper and give you the bird. I mean so what someone had to slow down for 5 seconds, OH the tragedy. I'm feeling more anger management classes in my future

specialk

i have been told that the school ticket does not go againest your driving record, mainly because there is no proof of who was driving...i guess it would handled as a parking ticket:unsure:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
In Snellville the photo zones around schools will give and send a ticket for speeding above the posted, normal speed limit even when the lights aren't flashing. For example, 51 in a non flashing 45 mph which is 35 during school hours.
In front of South Gwinnett high school,the posted speed limit is 35 mph 24 hours a day.They trick you with the flashing lights.When the school lights are flashing ...0 ... tolerance.If they are not flashing they give you 9 mph before mailing you a ticket for $85.00

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I'm getting a little sick of drivers thinking just because another driver "isn't doing it right" they have some right to ride you're bumper and give you the bird. I mean so what someone had to slow down for 5 seconds, OH the tragedy. I'm feeling more anger management classes in my future
I don,t get angry....I just slow down to 10 mph below the speed limit.Once they get off my bumper I will speed up to the speed limit or a little higher.

sinclair1

That’s good to know. I didn’t expect them to ticket when schools out for the day.

ucfireman

Used to say School zone, speed limit and then something along the lines of "when students are present" or listed hours.
But I would bet you would still get the ticket, and then either have to take the time to fight it, which I assume you would win, just pay it anyway.
I would slow down if flashing, just me.
Idiot honking can go around or just keep honking. Might even slam on the brakes and see if I can get him to buy me a new truck.