Duranna, Patriot, Star, Bulldog....

Gadget

These are all new clovers to hit the food plot scene in the last couple years.

The Star and Bulldog are Red clovers, the star I believe came out last fall.

I would like to know what results yall have had with these clovers.

The only one I've planted is the Duranna. We planted it last fall, mixed in with some Yuchhi, Redland111 and Buck Forage oats. It was planted in a field full of weeds and grasses so this will be a good test. The Oats and Yuchhi have died out in the last month, the Duranna is still going pretty strong although it is starting to die back a little bit too. Only a little of the Redland came up, mabye it was shaded out by the Duranna, have to see if any shows up next spring. We cut twice in the spring and then let it grow up and seed out in the last two months. It peaked at about 3ft in late may early June. It already seems to be reseeding underneath the tall stems.

So far it looks good. Only thing is it didn't do grow well in the winter, we had some bare spots in the plot. Come march it started going crazy and came in very thick, shading out most grass and weeds.

Now I'll have to see how it does in late summer and fall. Depending on how it looks we'll cut it and maybe lightly disk in September.

Some of you planted the Duranna two years ago, how it doing now? Did it re-seed well? What have you done to maintain it?

Were planning on planting a couple more perennial plots this fall and we're thinking of using Duranna, one of the new reds like Bulldog or Star, and mabye some Chicory. Will probably throw in some BFO's as a first year filler like we did last fall too.

I'll try to take a pic this weekend. If you have any pics post em.

Last edited:

dixie

duranna

Gadget, I have a little of it planted, I've added a little lime to it, maybe a 100 lbs and fertilized it, this is its third year and I'm empressed with it, It was SLOW to start but once it got started, it seems to be doing better than our ladino is. I had planned to plant a LOT of it this fall, but from what I'm hearing, cost may keep me from putting in a lot of it. IWC is sounding better and better cost wise.

Last edited:

gadeerwoman

Most clovers don't put on much growth during the fall and early winter. They don't put on much growth until late winter and early spring. Then they get a jump start. I'm surprised you didn't get a good stand of Redlands III. I overseed an acre with it last fall and it got waist high and so thick you can't see the ladino underneath. I won't include it with my ladino again unless I go very low on the seeding rate. The plots of Duranna I've seen have been very impressive!! I'm gonna get 50 lbs to add to my clovers this fall. I would add some chicory to your mix and maybe some birdsfoot trefoil to cover the hot summer months. Both do very well in hot dry weather. Other than regular fertilization, mowing and some spraying you should keep these plots going for at least 3-5 years.

WilcoSportsman

We planted an acre foodplot of patriot clover last september. The deer loved it! It was only three inches high after deer season. Once spring came it shoot up about a foot and the game flocked to it. I shot a turkey about 20 yards from it and it was full of clover leaves. Two weeks later my dad and I were turkey hunting around it and we decided to walk out into the foodplot and check on it. There were four hogs in it and they were eating the like deer. The clover was about a foot and a half high but the hogs had trimmed it down to about three inches off the ground. It was unreal!! We bushhogged it about a month ago and it is still going strong! It takes it about 5 to 6 months to become established but it is worth the wait. It is also very high in protein too. :yeah:

DDHUNT

Banned
A few things. Red. Like Bulldog vs Redland 3. Better reseeder. For me. Have talked to Kent K. alot about Durana and it is the deal. Agree. SLOW grower but should take over. And stay. Patriot, close to Durana, I believe is for more south soils, not sure where you are. Agree with the GADEERWOMAN, chicory, could be the real deal in a "mix". Standing by for the details on that. Besides that, PH PH PH! Yea, 5.5 or 6 could work with Durana, but remember, 6.0 is 10 times more acidic than 7.0, 5.0 is 100! more times acidic than 7.0. So all that fert you are laying down, the biggest deal for us, is going to waste if the PH is not right. Pray for rain. Good luck! DDH

Gadget

Thanks for the replies.

Sandra, would you or have you mixed other clovers with the duranna. Birdsfoot is a good idea, I'll add that in for sure.

Do you think I should add another clover or just go with Duranna, Chicory, and Birdsfoot for my mix?

milliam

We planted Duranna, Regal Ladino, Yuchhi, and oats in our plots last fall. Limed and fertilized to get everything right. Right after we planted we got hit hard with one of the huricanes and thought that most of the seed was lost. However, our plots came on pretty good, but we had some bare spots and some thick spots from the seed washing. The deer seemed to like the oats more than anything during the hunting season.

Now, our plots are totally full of clover. The Yuchhi really kicked in and covered the fields with vines. I didn't know if grew like this or I probably wouldn't have planted it. It looks like it could choke out the white clovers. The white clovers are packed in there good too though, so I guess they can live with the Yuchhi. The only problem is I don't know which of the clovers is Durrana and which is Regal Ladino.

Do far we've only mowed once this season. It looks like the Yuchhi is dieing off a bit. We're getting some grass competition as well, so I might be spraying it sometime soon. Not sure if the Duranna will be able to choke out the grasses, but I wish it would!

Milliam

gadeerwoman

Gadget, personally I like to include two white clovers just for good measure. I haven't planted duranna before but I've seen some good looking 'pure' stands of it this year however. If I can get hold of some duranna this fall, I'll mix duranna and WTI and maybe a little white dutch all together with some chicory and trefoil. I'll put my redlands III in a separate plot from now on. That stuff got mowed last week and it was still thigh high after having been mowed twice already. I'm afraid it will shade out a lot of the lower growing white clovers we had in the mix.

Gadget

WTI= Whitetail Institute?

If red top seed heads is an indication of which is the redland then ours didn't do all that good. I'd say we only have about 10-15%. I can't tell em apart. they all look the same to me.

gadeerwoman

WTI...yep, that's it.
The redlands III we overseeded got waist high. Not sure how it will reseed itself but lordy, there were more blooms than I've ever seen on a clover patch. When we mowed Sat there were tons of bugs going everywhere...just wish the turkeys were around to find them. If we overseed that plot with white clovers this fall we'll have to mow it much closer and may have to burn the mulch of redlands off. That stuff got thick and stemy but the deer seemed to like it although they sure didn't hit it like they did the WTI and other white clover mixture. I think the redlands would be one heck of a soil builder though as it put on a ton of growth that would be great plowed under.