Epic fail #3 ....can’t kill a blind buck

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
So I get to the stand late this am, not even needing a flashlight really. But it’s an amazing morning with fog and everything. I’ve had deer on camera during the day, just no pattern. I’ll get them once a week or so, and that’s enough to convince me they are here, somewhere. Anticipation is high and the day just felt “right”.
This was my First time in this stand with the bow so I was wearing a harness. I was back in heaven on earth, and knew today could be the day. I love standing but after an hour or so, and seeing nothing but squirrels I sat down. I didn’t like where my hook was and decided to put it on the other side of the tree.......better for the bow than Xbow. Sure enough, while I’m facing the tree trying to thread a small hook, a yearling comes running by, then I also see a doe and a young buck, but they are taking a wide path around me. I get my bow back in my hand and see them at maybe 80 yards. They never blew, but they knew something wasn’t right.....I was busted! As I’m standing there with my heart beating so hard I can feel it- a giant appears! This deer was twice as big as the others but had some trash stuck on his head.....literally. I tried to remain still, but they all ease off. I almost started crying I was so mad at myself. I’ll be the first to tell you to “be ready” and I simply wasn’t. Maybe they would have come in front of me, maybe not, it I’ll never know. Nonetheless, It was great to see deer, especially that giant.
It was still early and after another half hour or so, I see antlers moving in the distance. Then I see another deer and another.....here they come. A Young buck followed by that yearling, a doe and a nice 8 pointer brings up the rear. They walked by at about 40 yards in a single file line. I had no shot and was still upset knowing I got busted earlier. Still, it was nice to see deer and I took note of where they walked by.
Another 20 minutes go by and here comes the giant! He’s still got trash stuck on his head. He is taking the same path as the others so I hit the grunt call.......he turns and heads my way on a line! He is only at 40-50 yards and headed straight at me! The whole time he is trying to shake a piece of plastic stuck on his head. I come to full draw and when he’s at 25 I tried to stop him. But when I said meh, he came faster.....meh, meh mehhhh! He is right in front of me and finally turned....I released an arrow and he took off. I think he was inside 10 yards . For a moment I thought I hit him, but I wasn’t sure and doubts quickly set in. It all happened so fast! The roller coaster of emotions I was going through I can’t explain, but I’m sure many of y’all know it.
I found my arrow completely clean except for the mud on the end. Thinking back on the shot, my top pin was high on him and I shot clean over him. So here I have a giant buck with antlers reaching the sky, a piece of plastic perfectly covering his eyes, come straight at me and I missed.......I am thankful I didn’t wound him, but another chance becomes epic fail #3 this year.
Come on #4!!

bany

I hope you’re back out there right now. What a day you had anyway! Sounds like the dreaded buck fever brother?. Hope you get on him again.

Blackston

Ouch ... Get back after him ... Best of luck !!!

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I wonder if the plastic trash stuck in his rack might have been somewhat of a distraction? On point of aim... cool story.

Gbr5pb

That’s a great morning! You found a good place stay after them. If you bow hunt you going to miss just learn from your mistakes

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Back to PoA, an old timer once told me “once you know you want to kill a buck, don’t look at his antlers anymore especially when aiming and preparing to kill” plenty of time to do that when he is on the ground.

His mindset was kinda based on the natural tendency of your eyes to be drawn to prominent features. In this case the antlers with trash in it might have inadvertently drawn your aim away. I still remember his words on all my shots.

Resica

So I get to the stand late this am, not even needing a flashlight really. But it’s an amazing morning with fog and everything. I’ve had deer on camera during the day, just no pattern. I’ll get them once a week or so, and that’s enough to convince me they are here, somewhere. Anticipation is high and the day just felt “right”.
This was my First time in this stand with the bow so I was wearing a harness. I was back in heaven on earth, and knew today could be the day. I love standing but after an hour or so, and seeing nothing but squirrels I sat down. I didn’t like where my hook was and decided to put it on the other side of the tree.......better for the bow than Xbow. Sure enough, while I’m facing the tree trying to thread a small hook, a yearling comes running by, then I also see a doe and a young buck, but they are taking a wide path around me. I get my bow back in my hand and see them at maybe 80 yards. They never blew, but they knew something wasn’t right.....I was busted! As I’m standing there with my heart beating so hard I can feel it- a giant appears! This deer was twice as big as the others but had some trash stuck on his head.....literally. I tried to remain still, but they all ease off. I almost started crying I was so mad at myself. I’ll be the first to tell you to “be ready” and I simply wasn’t. Maybe they would have come in front of me, maybe not, it I’ll never know. Nonetheless, It was great to see deer, especially that giant.
It was still early and after another half hour or so, I see antlers moving in the distance. Then I see another deer and another.....here they come. A Young buck followed by that yearling, a doe and a nice 8 pointer brings up the rear. They walked by at about 40 yards in a single file line. I had no shot and was still upset knowing I got busted earlier. Still, it was nice to see deer and I took note of where they walked by.
Another 20 minutes go by and here comes the giant! He’s still got trash stuck on his head. He is taking the same path as the others so I hit the grunt call.......he turns and heads my way on a line! He is only at 40-50 yards and headed straight at me! The whole time he is trying to shake a piece of plastic stuck on his head. I come to full draw and when he’s at 25 I tried to stop him. But when I said meh, he came faster.....meh, meh mehhhh! He is right in front of me and finally turned....I released an arrow and he took off. I think he was inside 10 yards . For a moment I thought I hit him, but I wasn’t sure and doubts quickly set in. It all happened so fast! The roller coaster of emotions I was going through I can’t explain, but I’m sure many of y’all know it.
I found my arrow completely clean except for the mud on the end. Thinking back on the shot, my top pin was high on him and I shot clean over him. So here I have a giant buck with antlers reaching the sky, a piece of plastic perfectly covering his eyes, come straight at me and I missed.......I am thankful I didn’t wound him, but another chance becomes epic fail #3 this year.
Come on #4!!
It's fun huntin isn't it. All sorts of things happen. Sorry for your miss but glad you had the experience. Next time!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
It was the craziest hunt ever, by far! He went from about 40 yards to inside 10 within seconds. It was like super high speed slow motion all at once. I have a photo stuck in my brain of tines sticking up high with a 2’ x 2’ piece of black trash bag hanging over his head, covering his face. I’ll never forget this day and don’t mind sharing such an epic fail. So close and getting closer......it’ll happen
I do know that sitting/standing in a stand with a bow is my favorite

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I wonder if the plastic trash stuck in his rack might have been somewhat of a distraction? On point of aim... cool story.
I was on him at 25 yards, but he was heading straight at me and I followed him with my pin. When he finally turned to my right he was inside 10 and I never lowered my poa to compensate.....I missed by a mile!

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was on him at 25 yards, but he was heading straight at me and I followed him with my pin. When he finally turned to my right he was inside 10 and I never lowered my poa to compensate.....I missed by a mile!

Stay after it bro - seeing a big buck this late in the season is tough. Crazy cool story.

hambone76

Glad you had some action. Sounds like a really good hunt.

deermaster13

You got the same luck I do buddy. We had one showing up at 7-10 every morning at 7 7-15. I told my son in law to sit it but he texted me Cathy night that he wasn't feeling good and for me to sit the stand. Sure enough first little buck was by and 5 minutes later here he comes. Got rifle up and couldn't see anything as a spot was blurry in my scope. It was 20 degrees Sunday morning and I thought it was for but pulled my head back and didn't see any fog, turned out had a dime size sheet of ice on the lens. Needles to say after bumping against rail running ice off he didn't wait around. Oh well I'll be back after it this weekend as I know you will.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Like many of you, My best friend said to get back in the same stand. I thought I’d head to the toona yesterday and let the Corp property settle a bit. I didn’t see anything so of course I am second guessing my decision......I needed to pull cams anyway.
I’ve got a few more days and I plan to make the most of it!
This deer hunting thing ain’t easy but it sure is fun!