Fall hunting season?

RockyMountainBasser

Any word on if GA is considering a fall turkey hunting season, or if they will stick with the March-May season?

The reason I ask is cause I know where several toms are hanging out.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I can say with relative certainty; those toms will be safe this year!

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Turkey hunting has my heart... Not because it's turkey... Because it's so peaceful in the spring woods! Let's keep it that way!

kiltman

Fall turkey hunting? I can see it now, orange vest and all. I wonder how long it would be before someone gets shot.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
The days of our fall turkey season in Georgia are long gone. I doubt we ever see another one.

hawglips

Banned
I'm looking forward to enjoying some turkey hunting this fall. Nothing else I'd rather be chasing in the fall. Takes a close second to spring gobbler in my book.

Turkeydoghunter

Fall

I will be chasing some birds in New York on Wednesday October 1st :cool:

Timber1

BANNED
I remember going on a few 'all game' hunts in the fall and winter when we would visit from the city to relatives in N. Ga. back in the mid 60's and early 70's. Mostly small game and some turkeys. Fresh rabbit and squirrel dumplings and a wild turkey were Thanksgiving Dinner almost every year at my grandparents house.
The stories and memories of those hunts told around the table made the food taste all that much better.
Before that, even though there was no season, turkeys were fair game for the dinner table.

Tennesse has a short fall season and they harvest about 2500 birds. I think Ga. could work out something to achieve about the same harvest numbers without damaging the overall population.
Im not a big fan of either sex even though I doubt it hurts numbers very much.

GA DAWG

I wouldnt mind it as long as you had to use a bow or shotgun. Make a one gobbler limit. Then reduce spring to 2 gobbler. No hens.

fullstrut

Yeah good luck with that passing. But if it does I will hold out till Spring. Bow or shotgun only if it does pass. We need to keep it the way it is. Deer hunting is hard enough with the liberal bag limits in place. No need to put a dent in the Turkey population.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Fall season going on right now here in Kentucky. It is also either sex. We rode out to the farm this afternoon and probably saw 200 out in a cornfield. I might try a day or two next week. It is pretty much an ambush hunt here if you get one.

hawglips

Banned
Can't think of anything better to hunt in the fall or winter than turkeys. I believe 44 states have fall seasons. There are just a few obstinate hold-outs, in the southeast.

The Crowe

I ran into the dnr commissioner trout fishing this summer we talked for a few min. we started talking turkey he said there are changes comming 2015 such as split seasons and earlier opertunites fall season is still up in the air

Gut_Pile

I ran into the dnr commissioner trout fishing this summer we talked for a few min. we started talking turkey he said there are changes comming 2015 such as split seasons and earlier opertunites fall season is still up in the air

I find this hard to believe since the 2015 dates have already been announced.

Maybe for 2016?

j_seph

Definitely so. Kind of looking forward to watching some Toms from the deer stand this fall too. No desire to shoot when they're not gobbling though
They were gobbling like crazy opening morning of gun season

Gut_Pile

its the truth but i ment 2016 sorry spilt season is comming boys and girls with earlier hunting dates

I wonder what they could do earlier than they do now? We just added a youth weekend that starts the weekend before the normal opener. That started in 2014.

Can you elaborate more?

I'm intrigued.

Resica

Fall season going on right now here in Kentucky. It is also either sex. We rode out to the farm this afternoon and probably saw 200 out in a cornfield. I might try a day or two next week. It is pretty much an ambush hunt here if you get one.

Hoe bout bust the flock and call?