Fall hunting season?

swampstalker24

First its a fall season, then its a fall season with rifles allowed, then they start allowing rifles in spring season, then it aint turkey hunting anymore.....

Thats how it is out here in Wyoming..... JMO

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hoe bout bust the flock and call?

I have thought about that but the only woods down there are along the river and if you scare them enough to scatter them they cross the river and that land is not on my lease. Probably a way to do it, but I just usually try to pattern them. Like today where I was 80 hens an jakes came by but not one long beard. Can kill anything up here right now but waiting on a good un.

Jody Hawk

I've always said that I was against a fall season in Georgia then the other morning I busted a flock off the roost while climbing up my deer stand. About an hour later, they were raising a ruckous trying to get the flock back together. I'm talking everything from yelps to kee kees to cutts and even some jake gobbles. I couldn't help but think how fun it would be to be sitting there calling to them.

j_seph

I called in 4 jakes yesterday. Scratched the leaves back to sit down, yelped while I was doing that and less than 5 minutes I had 4 jakes 15 yards lol

hawglips

Banned
I called in 4 jakes yesterday. Scratched the leaves back to sit down, yelped while I was doing that and less than 5 minutes I had 4 jakes 15 yards lol

I hunted dark to dark on Saturday and never could find a turkey anywhere.

Resica

I've always said that I was against a fall season in Georgia then the other morning I busted a flock off the roost while climbing up my deer stand. About an hour later, they were raising a ruckous trying to get the flock back together. I'm talking everything from yelps to kee kees to cutts and even some jake gobbles. I couldn't help but think how fun it would be to be sitting there calling to them.
There you go. Can be very exciting.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
There you go. Can be very exciting.

The first hunt I can ever remember going on when I was a little bitty boy, was a fall turkey hunt. And the first thing I ever killed in my life was a turkey, on that fall hunt.

I really wish we could have a dedicated fall season, with special rules as to weapons.

Turkeydoghunter

Fall 2014

Yep It can be fun and Dogs make it Better
IMG_20141001_122022_135.jpg
[/URL]

Turkeycaller

I do not agree with this publication.
We are wasting a resource !!!
There is "NO" reason why we cannot have a "Quota" fall hunt on "CLOSED" WMA's.

hawglips

Banned
Had a nice hunt this morning. When he answered with a single note yelp about 60 yds away, it was every bit as good a rush as a spring gobble. Can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to hunt fall turkeys.

572ff85fe7778da4e66edd427181ff5a.jpg

IMG_1821_zps8c947095.jpg

turkeykirk

Had a nice hunt this morning. When he answered with a single note yelp about 60 yds away, it was every bit as good a rush as a spring gobble. Can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to hunt fall turkeys.

Congratulations on a nice gobbler!

tonyrittenhouse

fall season

I hope we never get a fall season. I love to hunt them in the spring when they are gobbling. If we get a fall season people will take advantage of it and kill to many birds. It will be just like deer hunting they made every day either sex raised the limit to 10 doe and a lot of people could not help them selves they killed everything they saw. Now a lot of areas in Georgia don't have many deer at all. We have a good turkey population right now so we don't need to go messing with a good thing.

Klondike

I hope we never get a fall season. I love to hunt them in the spring when they are gobbling. If we get a fall season people will take advantage of it and kill to many birds. It will be just like deer hunting they made every day either sex raised the limit to 10 doe and a lot of people could not help them selves they killed everything they saw. Now a lot of areas in Georgia don't have many deer at all. We have a good turkey population right now so we don't need to go messing with a good thing.

I agree. Deer hunting the next 3 days but I am already thinking about turkey. Deer is just a time to do something in the woods until turkey season arrives!

M Sharpe

I, on the other hand, agree with this article. Especially the part about the seasons overlapping. GA is not going to shorten it's deer season to bring you a week or 2 of turkey season. That is the only way it would work. There would be numerous birds killed by deer hunters in the fall. A bored deer hunter sitting in his stand and along comes a flock of turkeys or a dog hunter that happens to bust a flock....he'd empty the gun. Not to mention if they overlapped, you'd probably have to wear an orange vest while hunting. I, for one, happen to remember when seeing a turkey in my part of the state was a rarity, and so were deer......you probably do too. I also know it doesn't take as long to tear something down as what it does to build something up. However, sometimes when a hen comes in a spoils my hunt, I get a little frustrated!

GA at one time had a fall season, many, many years ago.

But a couple of bad hatches and you'll be wondering what happened to the turkeys.
I like it just the way it is!

Your statement about quota hunts and closed WMA might change if you were not drawn and some guy from out of state was..... just one of the problems I hear from guys from Florida.

Last edited:

herb mcclure

Fall Hunting Season

First, I will state: I have hunted in Georgia's fall hunting seasons; when Fall Turkey hunts were legal. I realize too, my personal opinion here; probably don't mean much, or is not what today's run an gun style of turkey hunter cares to hear. A lot of today's modern turkey hunters, the kill is everything; no matter what. Ten, twelve, fifteen a season; what ever his wallet can afford, or is it an addiction to kill.
When you have hunted 59 turkey season, which I have, you may learn that slowing down and smelling-the-roses is what helps make turkey hunting what it should be. Like listening to other wildlife,(before it is scared away), taking in the Flame Azaleas in bloom, the beautiful snowy white dogwoods, the chartreuse green of the hardwood forest coming to life and then, low-in-behold, a male wild turkey shatters the stillness with his gobble. I did not see or hear any of these things described; back when I fall hunted the wild turkey.
But, if the kill is what matters most to a turkey hunter who wants to cause our turkey hunting to become like today's deer hunting has become; then I hope you will go elsewhere to do your fall turkey hunting. Real true turkey hunters that appreciate the Southern way of Spring turkey hunting know; what I am talking of.
Like someone has said, it is easy to mess-up things, but a lot's harder to fix them back, like they were.

Herb McClure