FAVORITE RECIPES..

shootemall

I like a good chili. Soak two types of beans overnight (I like Pinto and black), drain, put in slow cooker in the morning while you brew coffee (coffee not part of the recipe, just start cooking early). Then drain beans a few hours later, or you'll be extra gassy. Then add all the small pieces of deer that were cleaned from the carcass after steaks and roasts were cut off (I process my own). Add a pack of Italian sausage for fat and extra flavor. Peppers to your favorite heat level (I did hatch that I grilled, sweated, peeled and froze this summer, just for this recipe), onion, fresh mashed garlic, a chili seasoning packet, a handful of fresh tomatoes, and cook low another few hours. I don't measure, and the portions are different every time, but that is part of the fun for me. Each batch is a little different. Bonus points if you grew some of the veggies. Then about an hour prior to eating, add a can of hominy. I like this because it gets people who don't normally eat a lot of veggies or venison to eat both. Play around with toppings like cheese, sour cream, green onions, hot sauce... serve in a bowl, stretch it out by pouring in baked potatoes, go fancy and put it in a bread bowl, eat with tortillas, whatever, just enjoy.

SakoL61R

I like cooking and one thing Momma taught me to make was sauces and gravies.
That being said, my kids and I really like country fried deer cube steak with gravy over biscuits or mashed taters. Sometimes deer sausage gravy!
Salt and peppered backstrap chunks and tenderloins fried to medium rare are always a hit. Finish with butter and chopped fresh rosemary.
The family favorite is “Bambidian”. (my name for it-kids get a kick out of it) Seared chunks of deer top round covered in a Diane sauce and finished until tender in a crock pot. Make gravy out of the pot juices and serve with mashed taters.

Last edited:

shootemall

I like grinding about 10% beef fat (either cut from a beef roast or ask the butcher, most throw it away) with 90% tough cuts, like shanks, end pieces etc. And doing burgers. I own a grinder, so this isn't something everybody can do, but if you can, it's great. I'll use pork fat in a pinch. Season as normal.

I just got my first Georgia buck back from the processor.. wondering what some of your favorite recipes for venison are..

post em up!!

I love burgers cooked over the coals, but on a flat top is also a good choice. There is some kind of magic that happens when a burger patty is frying in its own fat and juices. The main thing about a homemade burger is its patty and soft bun. You just grill the ground beef patty and put it on bun with cheese slice. Tadaa ready!

Last edited:

sghoghunter

My favorite is taking the backstrap and cutting into small chunks then soaking them in some Moore’s for a couple hours. Then take some medium sliced bacon wrap chunks then grill them. Main thing don’t over cook

smoove

All of the above are good choices we all do about the same things but my all time favorite is half a strip if bacon a strip of deer roughly same size a goob of cream cheese a jalapeno roll tight stick a toothpick thru it grill or bake till bacon done minimum 75 and call me

smoove

TAKE TOOTHPICK OUT BEFORE CONSUMING I had a Einstein that didn't one time pretty funny not for him though

kayaksteve

I just recently tried braised shank. I have three more bout to be packaged and froze. It’s for sure one of my favorite deer recipes from now on. Keep the shanks!

dang

DANG !!!
I like making venison stroganoff.
Cook up a steak however you like it medium rare and slice it…set it aside. Add cream of mushroom, white American cheese, sour cream to a pan and get it all simmery and cheese melted everything incorporated. I usually add some lowrys garlic salt and black pepper. Then add back in your steak and serve over a bowl of noodles. Real easy

LNK

20 lbs. Venison (ONLY CHOICE RED MEAT)
5 lbs. Good clean white beef fat
LEM Breakfast Sausage Mix
Grind ,venison & fat add seasoning then grind again...
EXCELLENT TASTE !!

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Slice your backstrap or tenderloin, simmer on low heat in a skillet of dr pepper. Nothing else for seasoning. Cook medium rare and enjoy

dang

DANG !!!
I like making venison stroganoff.
Cook up a steak however you like it medium rare and slice it…set it aside. Add cream of mushroom, white American cheese, sour cream to a pan and get it all simmery and cheese melted everything incorporated. I usually add some lowrys garlic salt and black pepper. Then add back in your steak and serve over a bowl of noodles. Real easy
I think maybe I sautée onions and they go in with it…been a little while since I made it. Wrote it down somewhere

furtaker

The quickest way to make good venison terrible is to overcook it.

I always freeze it first though to stop any risk of toxoplasmosis. We have a member on here who had a very bad bout with it.

hawkeye123

Take a whole shoulder & rub with no.1 cure salt..brown sugar & sea salt..vacuum pack in frig for 30 days..wash & smoke on 225 for 4 hours on pecan wood..slice with plastic knife thin & make best sammichs ever!