What's your absolute favorite deer recipe?

krizia829

Mine would be my simple venison egg rolls.

Cook meat stir fry style with onions and mixed peppers. Season with complete seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, and some everglades seasoning then stuff into an egg roll wrap and fry :p I sometimes sprinkle some tajin or lime on top. SO GOOD!! Leftover meat is served on a bed of white Jazmine rice.

What are your favorite recipes?? Some pics would be great too!

IMG_4660.jpg

Kwaksmoka

Great thread for the season, I'm not very creative so my favorite is fried backstrap. I cut my straps, hit with tenderizing hammer, soak in Italian dressing, cover in yellow mustard, season flour and dump in the grease! So good! let's hear some more!!!

krizia829

Great thread for the season, I'm not very creative so my favorite is fried backstrap. I cut my straps, hit with tenderizing hammer, soak in Italian dressing, cover in yellow mustard, season flour and dump in the grease! So good! let's hear some more!!!
That sounds delicious!! I was up until 10:30 last night cleaning meat that we still had in the cooler and was thinking what new meals can I try to make and thought of the post to get new ideas!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don't think I could pick a single favorite. I love deer meat a lot of ways. A few of my favorites:

Slice backstrap thin, pound it out, no flour, salt and plenty of pepper, sear on both sides in cast iron, then add a little bit of water, add a lid, and cut the heat down. When the water evaporates, it's done. That's the way Mom always made it, simple, but still one of my favorites.

backstrap.jpg

Country-fried deer steak with gravy

deersteak.jpg

Backstrap grilled whole to medium rare

backstrap2 (1).jpg

Stir-fried "beef tips" with peppers, onions, and mushrooms

bambi-tips.jpg

Osso bucco

osso6.jpg

Deer tacos or crunch wraps

tacos.jpg
crunchwrap.jpg

Pastrami-cure and smoke roasts and slice thin

reuben.jpg

Sautee peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Add ground deer and brown it. Add a splash of red wine and reduce it, then add some crushed tomatoes and Italian seasonings and let it simmer. Cook bowtie pasta to al dente and dump it in with the sauce and stir it up

deerpasta.jpg

And of course, deer burgers.

burger.jpg

Last edited:

killerv

I don't do it a lot, but fried deer chunks. Cut up a backstrap into chunks like a chicken nugget, marinate in Worchester and buttermilk overnight. Throw them in some flour with salt/pepper/a little cayenne. And fry them up, similar to how one might do turkey nuggets. Off the chain!

We do go through a lot of ground, its what the kids like. Spaghetti, chili, tacos, dirty rice, etc.

Big7

The Oracle
Medium rare to barely medium loin cutlets about 3/4 inch thick with JUST a tad of sea salt on a really hot wood or charcoal fire where the grate is really hot for a few seconds on each side.

Just past "warm" to hot in the middle but still pink and juicy in the middle with that fire charred taste on the outside.

To me, that is shore nuff good. :cheers:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And, it's hard to beat a good simple grilled deer steak:

deer-steak.jpg

Or a venison phillie steak sammich:

deerphillies.jpg

Or venison gyros:
gyros.jpg

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Mama Jane's Hanky Panky:
1 lb ground deer meat
1 lb velveeta cheese (NO substitute!)
1 lb sausage
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
1 pkg hamburger buns
brown meats separately & drain, put back in pot together along with seasonings, cube up cheese & cook on low just long enough to melt cheese & everything is mixed good.
put on buns (open face style) place on a cookie sheet & put under broiler just long enough to brown the tops.
When I take to a get together, I cut them up into quarters, if I'm feeding at home I leave them whole & fix either french fries, tater tots or eat chips with it!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Frenched crown roast tomahawk venison chops (backstrap with ribs still attached)

deerchops2.jpg

krizia829

Don't think I could pick a single favorite. I love deer meat a lot of ways. A few of my favorites:

Slice backstrap thin, pound it out, no flour, salt and plenty of pepper, sear on both sides in cast iron, then add a little bit of water, add a lid, and cut the heat down. When the water evaporates, it's done. That's the way Mom always made it, simple, but still one of my favorites.

View attachment 1264340

Country-fried deer steak with gravy

View attachment 1264339

Backstrap grilled whole to medium rare

View attachment 1264341

Stir-fried "beef tips" with peppers, onions, and mushrooms

View attachment 1264342

Osso bucco

View attachment 1264343

Deer tacos or crunch wraps

View attachment 1264344
View attachment 1264345

Pastrami-cure and smoke roasts and slice thin

View attachment 1264346

Sautee peppers, onions, and mushrooms. Add ground deer and brown it. Add a splash of red wine and reduce it, then add some crushed tomatoes and Italian seasonings and let it simmer. Cook bowtie pasta to al dente and dump it in with the sauce and stir it up

View attachment 1264347

And of course, deer burgers.

View attachment 1264348

And, it's hard to beat a good simple grilled deer steak:

View attachment 1264349

Or a venison phillie steak sammich:

View attachment 1264350

Or venison gyros:
View attachment 1264351
Holy moly you're making me hungry and I just ate!! Lol all of it looks amazing!!!