Filling wood holes??

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
What's the best thing to fill screw/nail holes in the joists on a deck? Going to replace a board or two and repair/replace some rotten spots on the joists.

So when I screw the boards down I may hit the same hole in the joist, might be just beside the original hole or whatever.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What's the best thing to fill screw/nail holes in the joists on a deck? Going to replace a board or two and repair/replace some rotten spots on the joists.

So when I screw the boards down I may hit the same hole in the joist, might be just beside the original hole or whatever.

Put a screw in them

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Sawdust and wood glue mixture...

If I was TRYING to hit the same hole, I'd just use a wooden match stick. In the case of a pressure treated deck, I might try to use a splinter of pressure treated wood.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
The sawdust/glue would be hard to get in there, holes aren't that big. Wonder if glue alone would work as in give it (screw) something to grab onto and if I didn't hit the same hole in the joist it's help the life of the joist.

If I used just glue would you let it dry first or glue then start screwing the boards down??

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
The sawdust/glue would be hard to get in there, holes aren't that big. Wonder if glue alone would work as in give it (screw) something to grab onto and if I didn't hit the same hole in the joist it's help the life of the joist.

If I used just glue would you let it dry first or glue then start screwing the boards down??

No expert by any means but I think I would give the glue a day or two to dry before covering it...

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
U will be fine. Put gorilla glue in the hole. If u hit it it will set up. If u miss it. Your still fine. I wouldn’t even worry about it and as said maybe use a longer screw.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
How about just using a longer screw?
Thought about that but that would be the trick if I was reusing all of the deck boards. While we're talking about screws those that come from the orange big box store are junk. Deckmate brand