My Today's Projects

Dub

Thanks for the tip! I saw the amount on yours and was contemplating using more for the amount of texture I wanted. Looking at the small can I wasn't sure if I wanted to order another one before I started to make sure I got the coverage I wanted. Does it lay down a good bit or is it rough?

Dumb question.....but what will you be using to apply the texturing paint ?

Jester896

Senior Clown
the webbing rattle can kinda comes out silly string like. I have the hopes that it will lay down some but still give a textured feel. I have a L/A stock that was done in spray grit and it is mighty rough on a cheek. Depending on the texture I may be able to calm it somewhat with the matte clear Aluma-Hyde I am going to use over it all. I am after something close to the HS Precision Olive black web color. I am going to use the Krylon Ultra Flat Camo OD as the base coat.

Reactions: Dub

weagle

Thanks for the tip! I saw the amount on yours and was contemplating using more for the amount of texture I wanted. Looking at the small can I wasn't sure if I wanted to order another one before I started to make sure I got the coverage I wanted. Does it lay down a good bit or is it rough?
You can feel it, but it lays down a good bit. It adds only a marginal amount of grip.

Jester896

Senior Clown
been a little whacked here lately..my second can of black lave finally with a coup for the shipping delays. My A/C guy got the lines hooked up today, vacuumed and charged it up. We are cooling down and drying out. My dog is getting out of the hospital tomorrow. My wife left me...no worries...she'll be back.

Might take a day and go to my buddy's...maybe I can convince him to thread this barrel while I'm there. The Sunday morning I'll get up early and mow the pastures since the rain has let up a bit. Then get some paint on this stock....time to get finished.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
been a little whacked here lately..my second can of black lave finally with a coup for the shipping delays. My A/C guy got the lines hooked up today, vacuumed and charged it up. We are cooling down and drying out. My dog is getting out of the hospital tomorrow. My wife left me...no worries...she'll be back.

Might take a day and go to my buddy's...maybe I can convince him to thread this barrel while I'm there. The Sunday morning I'll get up early and mow the pastures since the rain has let up a bit. Then get some paint on this stock....time to get finished.
There is a top 10 Country song hiding in there just waiting for some music.

SC Hunter

You don't know how to fix the AC?? You have most every other area covered.

Is the pup okay?

Wife will miss you eventually and wanna come back to her King....maybe.

Jester896

Senior Clown
A/C isn't my forte...I did install everything. He just cut the lines, flared the ends, put a suction on it and charged it.

Not sure he is out of the woods yet...but he is home.

I am thankful every morning for 2 things
I'm not looking at grass roots
I don't have a skillet imprint on my face

Those eyes have cut at me so many times in 43 years ...it don't even bleed anymore

Jester896

Senior Clown
looking good!
IMG_1671.jpg

Got this done today at my buddy's...got it reeal close then finished it with a die. Blued it while my dog was out in the yard. Looks like he is a little better than when he went in the hospital Tuesday morning.

IMG_1673.jpg

now I just need to order the thread protector like we used to measure it with...Yankee Hill I do believe.

Back at it in the morning!

Big7

The Oracle
looking good!
View attachment 1235198

Got this done today at my buddy's...got it reeal close then finished it with a die. Blued it while my dog was out in the yard. Looks like he is a little better than when he went in the hospital Tuesday morning.

View attachment 1235199

now I just need to order the thread protector like we used to measure it with...Yankee Hill I do believe.

Back at it in the morning!
Dang...

I almost had a heart attack until I realized that was the business end threaded for a can..

"Threading a barrel" means to me the other end. :bounce:

Finishing with a die is ok on the muzzle.

Jester896

Senior Clown
wasn't able to get back to put the second coat on in the allotted time so I did it when I got home tonight...had to wait 48 hours for it to cure.
IMG_1679.jpg
no I didn't paint the bedding material I taped it off

The pad didn't come out too bad but I am going to roll with it like it is.

IMG_1677.jpg
Below is the only spot I gave up on after the 2 passes
IMG_1676.jpg
dang...now I see this one too...still letting it roll..
it is a used rifle :huh:

IMG_1678.jpg

deerslayer357

Looks good to me!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
wasn't able to get back to put the second coat on in the allotted time so I did it when I got home tonight...had to wait 48 hours for it to cure.
View attachment 1235732
no I didn't paint the bedding material I taped it off

The pad didn't come out too bad but I am going to roll with it like it is.

View attachment 1235733
Below is the only spot I gave up on after the 2 passes
View attachment 1235734
dang...now I see this one too...still letting it roll..
it is a used rifle :huh:

View attachment 1235735

Give some good detail on the black splatter when you get to it. I'm wanting to learn all I can for doing my little Grendel...

Jester896

Senior Clown
@Railroader I don't know what kind of detail this is going to be. One can will be plenty! It doesn't matter how much you spray on an IPSC target it will not be the same on the stock :D It will give you a heads up if nothing else.

I tried to hold it a little farther away hoping that it would dry a little on the way making the texture a little stronger. Dries in 5 minutes and handle in an hour. I will let it go over night. Spraying temps should be between 50 and 75 with low humidity according to the can. Just so happens the shop is 71 and 48%.

I did over cover in a couple of places (bottom 2 pics)...the spray nozzle fans top to bottom and I didn't try to change it. I will look tomorrow to see if you can change it to a flat fan.

Here is the result:

IMG_1689.jpg
IMG_1690.jpg
IMG_1691.jpg
IMG_1692.jpg

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
@Jester896

That is exactly the effect I am aiming at.

I'm thinking about a few stripes of brown, gray, and then top it off with the splatter, and some clear ceramic.

What splatter specifically did you order. I too struck out finding any local.

That thing looks great!

Big7

The Oracle
Looks kinda like a factory Bergara

Great job Jester!!!

Jester896

Senior Clown
the Krylon stuff @weagle showed us.

The base coat is the ultra flat Olive from their camo colors. I have plenty left over in the first can and I bought 2 of them. I think the can I used will do 3 more stocks :ROFLMAO: .

I do have one more stock I could do though. I have an HS Precision L/A with a monte that needs it that came off of an STW i used to make my 6.5WSM. Might have to sandblast the finish off of it. :oops:

I can't wait to feel the texture tomorrow.

Last edited:

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
the Krylon stuff @weagle showed us.

The base coat is the ultra flat Olive from their camo colors. I have plenty left over in the first can and I bought 2 of them. I think the can I used will do 3 more stocks :ROFLMAO: .

I do have one more stock I could do though. I have an HS Precision L/A with a monte that needs it that cam off of an STW i used to make my 6.5WSM. Might have to sandblast the finish off of it. :oops:

I can't wait to feel the texture tomorrow.

Was it this, @Jester896 ??

Screenshot_20230702-214039.png