Finally my first Hog!!!

Houseme1971

Finally my first hog and what a monster he was! I have been here in GA chasing these guys on public land for 4 years and never got a chance to pull the trigger. I did find hogs on several occasions but never felt comfortable with a good clean shot so each time I passed.
This weekend a friend from work invited me to his family property to have a go at it. I got in the stand about 1 hour before dark armed with my 6.5 CM and ATN night vision scope. About 45 minutes after the sun went down I heard one coming in from the hardwoods slow and cautious. He would move about 10ft and than stop and wait. He did that for about 3 minutes before coming out into the open. In the scope I couldn't tell how big he was and I didn't care I told myself I was going to shot any hog that came out and gave me a shot. He was only about 35 yds away and I could see him clearly in the scope. He Quartered to me and stood still giving me a clean shot. I put one round behind his ear and it came out at the base of his head breaking his neck and dropping him in his tracks. He never knew what hit him!
I have to admit that the excitement I felt was like a 35 year flashback to when I was 12 years old and killed my first deer!
Fast forward to 1:30am and he is all butchered up and in the cooler on ice! My freezer is full of deer meat so it looks like its time for another freezer!
I am clearly not expert on sizing a hog and did not weigh this one but my friend and his family who took a look at the hog said he is about 250#
I am 6ft 250 and I think the one pic on my tailgate suggests he may be all of 250#
Thanks GON for letting me share my story!

Mike

Attachments

• hog1.PNG
    hog1.PNG
    458 KB · Views: 169
  • hog2.PNG
    hog2.PNG
    741.4 KB · Views: 191
  • hog3.PNG
    hog3.PNG
    274 KB · Views: 191

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on the pork , nice one !

FrChs28

Finally my first hog and what a monster he was! I have been here in GA chasing these guys on public land for 4 years and never got a chance to pull the trigger. I did find hogs on several occasions but never felt comfortable with a good clean shot so each time I passed.
This weekend a friend from work invited me to his family property to have a go at it. I got in the stand about 1 hour before dark armed with my 6.5 CM and ATN night vision scope. About 45 minutes after the sun went down I heard one coming in from the hardwoods slow and cautious. He would move about 10ft and than stop and wait. He did that for about 3 minutes before coming out into the open. In the scope I couldn't tell how big he was and I didn't care I told myself I was going to shot any hog that came out and gave me a shot. He was only about 35 yds away and I could see him clearly in the scope. He Quartered to me and stood still giving me a clean shot. I put one round behind his ear and it came out at the base of his head breaking his neck and dropping him in his tracks. He never knew what hit him!
I have to admit that the excitement I felt was like a 35 year flashback to when I was 12 years old and killed my first deer!
Fast forward to 1:30am and he is all butchered up and in the cooler on ice! My freezer is full of deer meat so it looks like its time for another freezer!
I am clearly not expert on sizing a hog and did not weigh this one but my friend and his family who took a look at the hog said he is about 250#
I am 6ft 250 and I think the one pic on my tailgate suggests he may be all of 250#

Mike
Congratulations! And thanks for sharing a great hunt. Yes, that Boar is every bit of 250 lbs. Nice ! ??

fishfryer

frying fish driveler

Mike
The hog on the tailgate is a lot more than 250 lbs..

Horns

Good job staying at it. That’s a good un

bany

Congratulations! Great boar hog and story!

ucfireman

Hope y'all didn't hurt yourselves getting that thing on the truck, its a big un for sure.
New freezer is a good use of the "stimulus check"
One of those a year is all I would need.