First Bow Kill

HabershamHunter85

I bought my bow back in 2014, but I have been hunting with it sparingly. I just wanted to make sure I had enough practice under my belt before I actually really got into it. In 2017 I shot a 6 pointer at 30 yards, made the mistake of not being patient and drilled it in the shoulder. Found the arrow with maybe 3 inches of penetration. He was back on my trail cam three days later like nothing had happened. So this year I got serious with bow hunting, and after seeing some good bucks, could never get one in range. I started hunting some land mid December that a buddy had who has a big garden, he told me to shoot anything, but I still was letting does and spikes walk at this point. Finally Saturday I saw a 5 pointer that has been on my trail cam, he is the biggest buck so far to show up on cam. He came in behind some does at 8 AM. When he showed up the does took off, he then swung around in front of me headed back into the pine thicket. He turned giving me a broadside shot at 25 yards so I bleated at him and I stuck him with a Swhacker. He ran 65 yards and crashed with a double lung shot. I couldn't stop shaking, I think I am hooked now. He isn't the biggest buck I have ever killed, but I think he is good one for my first bow kill and the freezer was needing some meat. I can't wait till next season.

Attachments

• gon.jpg
    gon.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 183

Tadder

Congrats,thats Awesome late season with the bow. He will make some fine taco's and a lot other meals also.(y) That 1st one is alway special . The hunt and the chase with the bow is Awesome.

DSGB

Way to go! Big or small, they'll all get you tore up shooting them with the bow.

HabershamHunter85

Thanks everyone, always nice to get some good feedback, that's what I like about this forum. I always get the shakes, but this time I swear I was shaking 30 mins afterward. I can't wait till September gets here. Thanks again!

HabershamHunter85

Congrats on your first bow kill! My first was a monster button head almost 30 years ago, and I still remember everything about that hunt.

Right before the 5 pointer walked out, there was 4 does and a button head in front of me. I was actually trying to decide which one to shoot when he stepped out. Hunting with a bow can be so challenging so I finally decided that Saturday if it was brown it was down. Just wanted the monkey off my back lol.