Food Plot Question

Greg

I am fairly new to deer hunting and very new to food plots. We had 4 food plots on the farm I hunted last year. Due to tractor issues, the plots have not been mowed or anything this year. We had a great stand of clover late in the year in the clover plots. The clover is still there but the grass has taken over. What steps should we take in order to have the plots in the best shape we can for this fall. Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.
Greg

Hogguide

Banned
Go ahead and mow them. That will help knock back the weeds and the clover should take off. After you mow it,
You could fertilize it with a 0-60-0 and a 0-0-46 or some other blend of fertilizer that has no nitrogen in it. The clover is supposed to fix its own nitrogen.

If you can't find that, 10-10 -10 or a 5-10-15 will do.
Good luck and hope it is drought tolerant.
HG

Greg

Thanks for the replies and the info. Feel like I know now what we should do. I appreciate it.
Greg

gadeerwoman

I would not fertilize clover now. Wait until fall and then fertilize it. Summer is not a good time. Late winter/early spring and fall is the time to fertilize clover. All you will be doing if you fertilize it now is encourage the grasses.