Forage Soybeans

Jim Boyd

The Florida Dept. of Agriculture experimented with electric fences in an effort to keep deer and hogs out of crops. A standard 3 wire electric fence doesn't work. This one does. https://www.farmprogress.com/management/mega-fence-for-deer-hogs

This is slightly anecdotal but I actually had pretty decent results in 2023 using Plot Saver tape.

Sunflowers, ICP and beans.

Think the plots were helped by adjacent peanut fields, however.

It has to be refreshed tho.

I am saying the pressure went to zero but it did go down.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

We tried on 2 acres and total fail. Deer/hogs will eat every single one.

I am not gonna recall the exact totals but I planted Eagle Beans one year on our main farm.

Did it right, too.

2.5, 3.0, 2.0 acres and several smaller plots.

Think I had 12 to 14 bags, bought direct from Eagle.

I never saw a plant over 3” tall.

Total waste. Deer only, no hogs.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I have found mowing briar patches add more green that comes back and a little 10 10 10 on it makes it even better. Iron clay has the best chance. If close to bow season. Soybeans. Try to plan the second planting of they coming up with opening weekend.
Sorghum is the poor mans corn. Sunflowers don’t stand a chance for a dove field. Millet does. Buckwheat ain’t bad. Deer have to get use to it. Clover is a lot of work but gives 9 months on the average.
Just some small observations.
I like wheat and oats for patches. Deer eat it. Once it heads out Turkey can use it. Hogs will eat the tops also.
Trapping helps all game animals. Hogs are included for trapping.

I enjoy farming for wildlife. I’d rather have a old tractor than 2 new 4wheelers.

Jim Boyd

Buckman18

I have found mowing briar patches add more green that comes back and a little 10 10 10 on it makes it even better. Iron clay has the best chance. If close to bow season. Soybeans. Try to plan the second planting of they coming up with opening weekend.
Sorghum is the poor mans corn. Sunflowers don’t stand a chance for a dove field. Millet does. Buckwheat ain’t bad. Deer have to get use to it. Clover is a lot of work but gives 9 months on the average.
Just some small observations.
I like wheat and oats for patches. Deer eat it. Once it heads out Turkey can use it. Hogs will eat the tops also.
Trapping helps all game animals. Hogs are included for trapping.

I enjoy farming for wildlife. I’d rather have a old tractor than 2 new 4wheelers.

How does the wildlife treat buckwheat?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I got some kind of wild running thorn Bush like briars. Well it is in the family. They tear it up. Nip every top. I mow it every year.

WishboneW

Does South Carolina have a deer management assistance program like Georgia?

Sounds like you need professional management advice for your deer heard numbers

Gut_Pile

Yes, you can get landowner tags that are separate from your normal tags that the state issues based on population

Jim Boyd

I am not sure - or it is that I don’t know anything about it.

Sounds like @Gut_Pile does and I think he is pretty dialed in.

I believe it was him several years ago that showed me a pic of a trailer loaded with does. If yes, they went on a serious killing spree.

I am not interested in additional tags, we don’t use all of the ones we have now.

Also def do not want to start any processes near me that include shooting deer out of season. Afraid the local farmers would work to emulate it and that process is so easily fraught with errors and in some cases, malicious behavior.

My brother hunts a farm in Bulloch county that we have been on for almost 40 years now. In the last 3-4 years, the landowner has allowed the tenant farmer to use depredation permits and the farm is 100% different now (to the negative). There are other issues like land encroachment but there is little debate that there are less deer and almost certainly, some of the bucks are gone (likely unintentional but gone they are).

All of that to say this - while I complain about the deer herd (and hot weather) I am not in favor of any intrusion or drastic changes.

I admit to being part of the problem. Think I may have killed 2 deer in the last 4 years. The ones killed at our place are almost always family and friends - I encourage them to shoot those jokers.

We just need to shoot more with the tags we have.

Now they also need to come shoot some of those seed stealing turkeys!

Jim Boyd

How does the wildlife treat buckwheat?

I can’t find the “after” pic but this field of buckwheat was beautiful.

The key word is “was”.

It was 100% wiped out in 3 short weeks.

It took them a while to discover they liked it but when they did…. They did.

3+ acre field.

IMG_1850.jpegIMG_1852.jpeg

WishboneW

I am not sure - or it is that I don’t know anything about it.

Sounds like @Gut_Pile does and I think he is pretty dialed in.

I believe it was him several years ago that showed me a pic of a trailer loaded with does. If yes, they went on a serious killing spree.

I am not interested in additional tags, we don’t use all of the ones we have now.

Also def do not want to start any processes near me that include shooting deer out of season. Afraid the local farmers would work to emulate it and that process is so easily fraught with errors and in some cases, malicious behavior.

My brother hunts a farm in Bulloch county that we have been on for almost 40 years now. In the last 3-4 years, the landowner has allowed the tenant farmer to use depredation permits and the farm is 100% different now (to the negative). There are other issues like land encroachment but there is little debate that there are less deer and almost certainly, some of the bucks are gone (likely unintentional but gone they are).

All of that to say this - while I complain about the deer herd (and hot weather) I am not in favor of any intrusion or drastic changes.

I admit to being part of the problem. Think I may have killed 2 deer in the last 4 years. The ones killed at our place are almost always family and friends - I encourage them to shoot those jokers.

We just need to shoot more with the tags we have.

Now they also need to come shoot some of those seed stealing turkeys!
I volunteer to reduce that seed stealing turkey population!

In Ga DMAP is biologist recommendation on deer populations based on the estimated carrying capacity of the land. They also recommend land management practices based on your goals. They will also give you harvest recommendations as well. All science based. Cost me $200 initially and $100 each year thereafter. Great bargain

Buckman18

Deer will browse on it after it gets up. Nip the tops. It can seed out for birds also.
Thank you sir. I bought some ol rough mountain ground (27 acres) that was mature hardwoods 8 years ago. The seller cleared and stumped it, and intended to make a pasture out of it. That never happened and its all broom sage now. In a perfect world the land needs about 100 tons of lime. Thats a bit out of my budget, so im going to disc it and plant buckwheat to try to build the soil up this summer. Maybe have a good dove shoot before I plant fall deer plots.

Jim Boyd

Thank you sir. I bought some ol rough mountain ground (27 acres) that was mature hardwoods 8 years ago. The seller cleared and stumped it, and intended to make a pasture out of it. That never happened and its all broom sage now. In a perfect world the land needs about 100 tons of lime. Thats a bit out of my budget, so im going to disc it and plant buckwheat to try to build the soil up this summer. Maybe have a good dove shoot before I plant fall deer plots.

Congrats on the purchased ground!!!!!