Forage Soybeans

mattb78

For the warm season there is nothing better but will the 3 acres hold up to the browse pressure in your area? There is only one way to find out but at that acreage they could get wiped out.

Cmcharles

If you have to put a fence up to keep deer out of your plot you either need to plant more, improve native forage or reduce your deer density. Habitat improvement and native forage will get you more mileage than any food plot and are usually cheaper to so as well. Not that plots don't have their place.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I planted 1 1/2 acres of I&C cowpeas one year and the deer pretty much left them alone, till they flowered .... after that they cut them back pretty well.

The next year, I got smart and planted 5 acres of them and mixed some soybeans in too ..... They wiped everything out, as soon as they got above the ground.

Attachments

• Cowpeas May 2015.jpg
    Cowpeas May 2015.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 9

Canuck5

If soybeans are nipped down to the ground, they won't regrow. Cowpeas will give it a try! This cowpea was nipped 25 times and kept trying to make it. Soybeans are preferred by deer, but cowpeas, if you plant enough of them might outlast them. I'm thinking 10 acres, LOL.

Attachments

• Cowpea nipped 25 times.jpg
    Cowpea nipped 25 times.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 9

Canuck5

Just for reference .....

Attachments

• Top 10 summer food plots2.JPG
    Top 10 summer food plots2.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 19
  • Warm season seed.JPG
    Warm season seed.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 18

Jim Boyd

If you have to put a fence up to keep deer out of your plot you either need to plant more, improve native forage or reduce your deer density. Habitat improvement and native forage will get you more mileage than any food plot and are usually cheaper to so as well. Not that plots don't have their place.

You, sir, have likely not been in the Low Country of South Carolina.

We have tried reducing deer density.

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

How many does are being killed in your effort? How many acres?

Aaaaah, Mr Will the Insurance Man -

Good morning sir.

Think you already know some (maybe even all) of these answers but today is a bright and shiny day, so I will play along….

We are 844 acres and if you add mine and Jo’s 57 - for easy math, we can call it 900.

Most club members have hunted a bit at our place but not all of them.

900 / 640 = 1.4 sq miles - but as you know, the properties are not contiguous.

That is slightly interesting but does not generally get in the way of the math.

We have been on the leased ground for 12 years now and we generally average 2-3 bucks a year and about 8 does. Some years go up and down.

This is anecdotal but I think we killed 5-6 bucks this year (3 over 200 lbs) and maybe 10 does. That is not counting the 5-6 that were killed at my place.

Let’s just call the average 14 deer taken annually or 10 deer killed per square mile.

Is this enough? I would say not. We have contests each year to incentivize doe harvest but the dragging, skinning, toting to the processors etc gets in the way.

Now please grace us with your wisdom to an obvious conundrum.

Latest posts