Forest Service Campground Reservations

futbolwest

Went up to Rock Creek for the first time to trout fish in early March. Visited Frank Gross Campground which is only 8 sites but with a nice bathroom and it was not open yet. I noticed you had to have reservations to stay there and after getting home I checked on availability with no sites available on the weekends in April and most of May.
Well fast forward to 2 weeks ago and decided to take another trip to the mountains to Low Gap on the Chattahoochee WMA above Helen. We have been going there for 45 years . Thought I would search on line for any recent videos or reports about this campground and just happened to notice you have to have reservations there now also. NO First Come First Serve campsites!
Word to the wise; if you are planning to go camping this summer at a Forest Service campground ( Coopers Creek, Deep Hole, Desoto Falls, etc…) you better check to see if you need reservations! Also when I went to make our reservation I could not find a map of the campsites and the person taking my reservation did not have a Map of the sites either.
So plan ahead friends.

huntersluck

I haventt been in several years and was talking to a friend and he said he was making reservations to stay at coopers Creek so that is the only way I knew about it. The good thing about rock Creek is there are plenty of places to camp along the road that are first come first serve or at least there used to be last time I was there

westcobbdog

Went up to Rock Creek for the first time to trout fish in early March. Visited Frank Gross Campground which is only 8 sites but with a nice bathroom and it was not open yet. I noticed you had to have reservations to stay there and after getting home I checked on availability with no sites available on the weekends in April and most of May.
Well fast forward to 2 weeks ago and decided to take another trip to the mountains to Low Gap on the Chattahoochee WMA above Helen. We have been going there for 45 years . Thought I would search on line for any recent videos or reports about this campground and just happened to notice you have to have reservations there now also. NO First Come First Serve campsites!
Word to the wise; if you are planning to go camping this summer at a Forest Service campground ( Coopers Creek, Deep Hole, Desoto Falls, etc…) you better check to see if you need reservations! Also when I went to make our reservation I could not find a map of the campsites and the person taking my reservation did not have a Map of the sites either.
So plan ahead friends.
Same thing happened to me at Rock Creek about 5 weeks ago. Plus no cell service for miles....back tracked all the way out to Cooper Creek store and still no cell. Ended up 7 miles up the dirt rd in a free site we found..