Freezer meat - some killing went down this week

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
18 rabbits just come out of the brine. New Zealand Whites. Little young fryers at 7 weeks old. Gotta rabbit fry coming up soon. Kept one little bag of fresh livers to fry in the morning.
15009941-A8DA-4C7E-B88C-F79F0F8CAE07.jpeg652A9B38-DDA5-4635-B974-327B89DB6F99.jpeg60D8E777-0014-4245-9A08-F93EADFF9A8A.jpeg

paulito

that brings back memories. We raise rabbits when i was a kid. the neighborhood loved us for Easter but hated us once the cute rabbits......disappeared. converted a LOT of friends that said no way they would eat rabbit. So good

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
You are in for a treat. Rabbit has a good flavor. Its a shame you don't see on the menu much anymore.
It’s on my menu pretty regularly here…..I raise them for meat.

ssramage

I've thought about raising rabbits for meat in the past but think they require more work than I can put in right now. Maybe one day...

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I've thought about raising rabbits for meat in the past but think they require more work than I can put in right now. Maybe one day...
Rabbits are fairly easy raise after set up. Get them on an auto waterer and feeders.
Get you some nipple feeders and tubing, set it up similar to the second pic. I use a 30 gallon drum instead of a 5 gallon bucket, put a floater in it and that job takes care of itself.

Fill feeders once per week. I make mine using 2” pvc pipe with that’ll dump into a regular rabbit feeder, it’s all gravity fed.
5A251C40-56F2-4509-A08B-78C3C73B6CCB.jpeg3B71EE7C-B14B-4828-BC2A-591D87060CA0.jpegAE13C442-A21E-40FC-987B-0A0E930EC8A8.jpeg2A540FB9-C245-49CB-9033-A818E1CC89FC.jpeg

ssramage

Rabbits are fairly easy raise after set up. Get them on an auto waterer and feeders.
Get you some nipple feeders and tubing, set it up similar to the second pic. I use a 30 gallon drum instead of a 5 gallon bucket, put a floater in it and that job takes care of itself.

Fill feeders once per week. I make mine using 2” pvc pipe with that’ll dump into a regular rabbit feeder, it’s all gravity fed.
View attachment 1203948View attachment 1203949View attachment 1203951View attachment 1203950

That's good to know. When I was originally researching it, I was told it was much more hands on. I have a young family and a demanding job. I have work trips and vacations, etc. I like chickens because systems can be set up to where they're self sufficient for a while. If I could do the same here, I might need to reconsider it! Thanks for the info!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
That's good to know. When I was originally researching it, I was told it was much more hands on. I have a young family and a demanding job. I have work trips and vacations, etc. I like chickens because systems can be set up to where they're self sufficient for a while. If I could do the same here, I might need to reconsider it! Thanks for the info!
Yes Sir. Sane here, I’m on the road traveling for work a few days per week. So I set my rabbits up just like my chickens on auto water / feed.