Frustrated

CritterCatcher

Been doing some scouting on the farm I have been trapping for the past five or six years. Either they have moved on to other grounds, or these coyotes are light footed and constipated. There is zero sign anymore.

furtaker

Been doing some scouting on the farm I have been trapping for the past five or six years. Either they have moved on to other grounds, or these coyotes are light footed and constipated. There is zero sign anymore.
On one small farm I trap, I didn't catch a single coyote for 2 years in a row. Very little sign, too. And the following year I caught 8. I don't know what happens to them sometimes. Perhaps pressure from neighboring properties?

Doug B.

I'm not sure that they are on the move too much yet. Look again in a month or two. Things may change. I've been looking around on some of the properties that I trap and there is less sign there now than there was at the end of the season last year. I think they still have enough food to catch that they are not having to hunt hard yet.

280 Man

Banned
I haven't seen any sign nor got any pics in the past 6-7 weeks. I'm also not complaining about it either.. lol

Things will change, they always do.

CritterCatcher

Yes, Hinesville, Doug. Not really complaining, just frustrated as I know they are in the area. I am trapping 358 acres and see nothing. I caught one there last year. Years past I was catching three or four and saw some sign anyway. Now it's like they are brushing their tracks out behind them, lol. I'll give it some time and keep scouting. Something has to give.

One problem I think is that the entire farm is surrounded by a hot fence. While some will cross it, others might not as the neighboring land holds plenty of food for them. Gonna try something, though, that might draw more of them across. There is a two track all the way around inside the fence. I will make a few really big flashy dirt hole sets along the edge of the two track and see if it will catch their eye. Been using some small dirt holes well inside the fence and trying to draw them in with scents. I'll let you know how it goes.

RootConservative

Yes, Hinesville, Doug. One problem I think is that the entire farm is surrounded by a hot fence. While some will cross it, others might not as the neighboring land holds plenty of food for them.

Have you gone out there at night especially near the neighboring property and called for them. Sometimes it's easier to locate them by calling from them then setting up on areas that worked in the past without recent sign.

furtaker

Yes, Hinesville, Doug. Not really complaining, just frustrated as I know they are in the area. I am trapping 358 acres and see nothing. I caught one there last year. Years past I was catching three or four and saw some sign anyway. Now it's like they are brushing their tracks out behind them, lol. I'll give it some time and keep scouting. Something has to give.

One problem I think is that the entire farm is surrounded by a hot fence. While some will cross it, others might not as the neighboring land holds plenty of food for them. Gonna try something, though, that might draw more of them across. There is a two track all the way around inside the fence. I will make a few really big flashy dirt hole sets along the edge of the two track and see if it will catch their eye. Been using some small dirt holes well inside the fence and trying to draw them in with scents. I'll let you know how it goes.
I would think that an electric fence would be a major issue.

Doug B.

I would say so for sure. Those underground fences will make a dog stay in the yard. I'm sure an electric fence will do the same to coyotes.

CritterCatcher

Have you gone out there at night especially near the neighboring property and called for them. Sometimes it's easier to locate them by calling from them then setting up on areas that worked in the past without recent sign.

I have thought about that. I just haven't done it yet. I do have an ICOtec. Would you just do a lone howl or something else? My calling experience is limited.

Doug B.

They may have "been" crossing the electric fence, but the majority of them won't. An electric fence deters animals from their natural travels. And that is what it was designed to do.

Cmcharles

I have several farms loaded with coyotes, need to find someone to trap them. Not uncommon to hear 3 groups sounding off at the same time almost every night.