FWC Restricting Gag Grouper season

Limitless

Well, here they go again. New rule for Gags in the Gulf reduces the season to 70 days in the Fall.. Wont be able to fish for them during Red Snapper season (assuming we get one next year).

FWC approves final rule to modify gag grouper recreational season in Gulf state waters

At its July meeting, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approved a final rule, effective January 1, 2023, modifying the recreational season for gag grouper in state waters of the Gulf of Mexico. The recreational season for gag grouper in Gulf state waters will be open Sept. 1 – Nov. 10.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Wouldn't surprise me if the whole state of Florida became catch and release for the majority of the popular species in the next few years.

When a certain group of people are able to convince the State it's more virtuous for a selfie with that fish than catching it and frying it in grease......that's what will happen. I wouldn't bet anything against that outcome.

buckpasser

For you veteran offshore guys, does this seem like a legitimate season? I’ve never once talked to anyone who thought the numbers were low on snapper or grouper out there. Is this some .gov nonsense or are the fishermen I speak to just disappointed that they can’t use their big money boats/tackle as much as and when they want???

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
What that does is eliminate the shallow water, close to shore grouper fishing in winter. That's the only grouper fishing I've ever enjoyed.

Won't be going to Crystal River for a while.

Limitless

Hopefully the fed season won’t follow the state season

Nope, FWC announced the change to comply with the Feds new regs for 2023. So all gulf waters off Florida. If NOAA is implementing for all Gulf federal waters it will be interesting to see what the other states do. My boat's in PCB so I was planning on slipping over to Orange Beach for some Gags next year, but who knows

hrstille

For you veteran offshore guys, does this seem like a legitimate season? I’ve never once talked to anyone who thought the numbers were low on snapper or grouper out there. Is this some .gov nonsense or are the fishermen I speak to just disappointed that they can’t use their big money boats/tackle as much as and when they want???
I can assure you the offshore grouper & snapper numbers are fine in FLA. Unfortunately season date are not adjusted for the fish population, they are adjusted by large commercial groups putting money into the pockets of our elected officials. The GA snapper season is the best example of this. You can go offshore from GA & catch a boat load of "endangered" American red snapper on any given day but the elected officials listen to the money, not the facts. Makes perfect sense though, take away the recreational fishing & expand the commercial opportunities to gain more profit. Why would the commercial guys lobby to limit recreational fishing.

asc

commercial and for hire took the same % cut as the rec sector.
Zero commercial opportunities expanded nor any lobbying from us to restrict recs..

You just spewing ignorance.

crappiecatchin

The season is long enough. I fish every weekend and that being said the number of fishermen decline rapidly as the season goes on. One of the biggest problems right now is the number of fish that moved to deeper waters and therefore is harder for a smaller boat to be able to catch keeper fish. I wish we could keep snapper and gags in may when it’s not hot. For the most part I’m running 50/60 miles offshore to keep quality fish and to keep away from triggers and 15” snapper. The fall season normally has very little pressure. Everyone in the woods by then.

KLBTJTALLY1

Meanwhile a decent boat to go offshore is $75k plus and add in gas and such and you talking big bucks to not be able to fish for much. Gonna hurt the marine industry. Spend that kind of money for a few fish? No thanks...

Latest posts