FWC Restricting Gag Grouper season

jmac7469

Please explain that...
Explain what? Commercial fishermen have vms on board gave to report every fish caught before leaving a spot, have to report departure and return. Are met at the dock for weighin and tissue sampling from harvested fishes. The quota is constantly monitored and updated as well as closing or reductuon in trip limits when 75% of quota is reached. The recreational sector has less than .5% of participants even stop to check fpr lincenses and safety gear.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Explain what? Commercial fishermen have vms on board gave to report every fish caught before leaving a spot, have to report departure and return. Are met at the dock for weighin and tissue sampling from harvested fishes. The quota is constantly monitored and updated as well as closing or reductuon in trip limits when 75% of quota is reached. The recreational sector has less than .5% of participants even stop to check fpr lincenses and safety gear.
So the correct statement would be one sector is highly monitored? Is it your contention the recreational sector is unregulated as well?

jmac7469

So the correct statement would be one sector is highly monitored? Is it your contention the recreational sector is unregulated as well?
Largely the recreational sector is unchecked. Now plenty of us play by the rules even if we dont agree with them. That said the number of violations in the recreational sector is completely staggering and thats just the ones that get caught. I personally believe there should be no federal management of state resources. Each state should be in charge of its own fisheries and wildlife. (I know thats off topic)

asc

yes they will, plenty of gags in state waters from Sept on...

plenty now, my neighbor freedives in 10' or less several days per week and gets his two or ten (depends on how ballsy he feels all summer.

pottydoc

Season is gonna be September 1-November 11. Of course, since your buddy doesn't care about the limits now, I'm sure he won't let taking gags out of season bother him.

asc

he's purely recreational and that's why y'all are getting the business, too many like him.

coveyrise

Divide and concur. That’s what the antis want. I gave up my commercial license 25 years ago when I saw the grouper stocks getting bad in the big bend. Sad that they cut the inshore season to 2 months. Should be a split season for at least 4 months. Then the next year 3 etc. Just to give 2 months at the flip of the switch is crazy. Plenty of fish in the shallows.

pottydoc

he's purely recreational and that's why y'all are getting the business, too many like him.
I never said anything about him being rec or commercial. And don't disagree with you on that, either. You got your share of commercials that don't follow the rules, too.

grouper throat

For you veteran offshore guys, does this seem like a legitimate season? I’ve never once talked to anyone who thought the numbers were low on snapper or grouper out there. Is this some .gov nonsense or are the fishermen I speak to just disappointed that they can’t use their big money boats/tackle as much as and when they want???

No but IMO it hasn't been worth grouper fishing for a decade unless you stay overnight as much as they've whittled it down. There seemed to be more fish back in the day but in reality there was just way less rec competition. Today's legal gag limit was just warming up a spot to drop live bait in the late 90s. No thanks

Last edited:

florida boy

The close grouper fishery ( inside 30 miles ) has definitely declined from what i have noticed in the past 10 years out from apalachicola - carrabelle . It wasnt long ago when it wasnt uncommon to get a 5 man limit at 5 fish per person . Now we are lucky to have 4-5 per trip . We dont even start fishing now until we get to 140 ft and then head south from there .
No but IMO it hasn't been worth grouper fishing for a decade unless you stay overnight as much as they've whittled it down. There seemed to be more fish back in the day but in reality there was just way less rec competition. Today's legal gag limit was just warming up a spot to drop live bait in the late 90s. No thanks

doomtrpr_z71

Well it looks like it's pointless as it looks like federal waters will be closed to bottom fishing due to overfishing from "discards".

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Start harvesting Goliath's and watch ALL reef fish rebound quickly.

It's hard for me to advocate for grouper/snapper seasons when Jewfish are eating up the breeding stock.